Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

San Francisco 49ers Don't Take United to Super Bowl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

I thought the SFO team would take a SFO airline. But instead they chartered a Delta 747. I saw the arrival on TV and it was a DL plane:

"The seats weren't normal seats. Instead of booking their usual 757 airplane for a Delta charter flight to the Super Bowl, the 49ers upgraded and took a 747 normally used for international trips such as their journey to London in 2010. Thus, the plane featured roughly 30 adjustable seats that folded back like beds, each in its own mini-cubicle. The Big Easy Chairs?"

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purd...-at-super-bowl

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 28, 2013 at 8:14 am Reason: inflammatory comment removed to avoid thread pollution and forum disruption.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My folks are going to be on the Niners junket plane, I'll report back on that one. Q400ER?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I lived in New Orleans for 12 years; don't recall ever seeing a 747 at MSY.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by channa

"The seats weren't normal seats. Instead of booking their usual 757 airplane for a Delta charter flight to the Super Bowl, the 49ers upgraded and took a 747 normally used for international trips such as their journey to London in 2010. Thus, the plane featured roughly 30 adjustable seats that folded back like beds, each in its own mini-cubicle. The Big Easy Chairs?"
The standard DL 747-400 config is now all 48 flat-bed seats in J, 42 in Economy Comfort, and 286 in coach. Just bustin' the journo for poor fact-checking.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
The 49ers must have been concerned that in the event of IRROPS on United, they'd never make it to New Orleans in time for the game.

However, thanks to the new policy as of Jan 2013, they could've been rebooked on Delta anyway!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
They always charter Delta... they just got an 'upgraded' plane this time around.

Delta seems to have a lot of the professional sports team charter business, they even have a fleet just for that purpose (I think it's primarily for the NBA though)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
NFL charter contracts differ from team marketing agreements and are not done on a 'one-off' basis. UA and DL compete vigorously for NFL contracts. Delta won the 49ers charter contract this year, and the team has actually been using a DL 763ER most of the season. I believe DL has 15 of the NFL contracts and UA has 12 teams this season.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Delta seems to have a lot of the professional sports team charter business, they even have a fleet just for that purpose (I think it's primarily for the NBA though)
Interestingly, Delta's all-F A319 is scheduled to operate a revenue LGA-MSY and return for the Super Bowl this week.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
NFL charter contracts differ from team marketing agreements and are not done on a 'one-off' basis. UA and DL compete vigorously for NFL contracts. Delta won the 49ers charter contract this year, and the team has actually been using a DL 763ER most of the season. I believe DL has 15 of the NFL contracts and UA has 12 teams this season..
^ Thanks for introducing a dose of reality to this post.

Seems like blatant hyperbole to me - you could have written this thread a few days before each and every away game for San Francisco in the last season, United didn't win the contract so, by definition they wouldn't be transporting the team for any of their games.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They always charter Delta... they just got an 'upgraded' plane this time around.

Correct. My brother (DL 767/757 Captain) has flown many sports charters over the years.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Those are ex-NW A319s in an all executive configuration. There are a couple of pics on a.nut
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Delta has a large sports charter business per the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...126494236.html
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: AADULtArer
When DL transports the losing SF team back on Monday, will that be the harbinger of DLs 2013 financials???

(flame suit on....)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I heard the 49ers arrived yesterday so I checked flight aware to find the charter and saw the DL 747. I am surprised UA is not adding any extra SFO-MSY flights say Friday, just shows the 1 Airbus flight. Note the Lions fly UA even know DTW is a DL hub.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
When DL transports the losing SF team back on Monday, will that be the harbinger of DLs 2013 financials???

(flame suit on....)
You win the thread.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Barring a contractual obligation related to advertising, no sports team really cares whether or not the airline they fly in the "hometown" airline. They bid out their needs and get what they feel the best price/service/comfort, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.