Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused about fares/fare buckets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Confused about fares/fare buckets

Trying to go from DEN-TLV on 05 Apr 13. Today I found a W fare (cheapest I've seen yet) - fare basis code WKNC11S (per ExpertFlyer).

When I search united.com, two routes are given: DEN-LAX-EWR-TLV and DEN-CLE-EWR-TLV. (Both end up on UA90, the 10:40pm flight to TLV).

Would prefer taking a direct flight (UA1643) from DEN-EWR. This flight shows up as a V fare ($175 more). When I look at the flight (in the context of trying to book DEN-TLV), it shows W0. However, if I just look at DEN-EWR for the same date/time, it shows W9.

I am confused as to why W>0 when booking DEN-EWR but the DEN-EWR portion of DEN-TLV has W=0. A W fare exists in both cases - why are the fare buckets different for the same flight?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Fare buckets are for city pairs, not flights. You are purchasing a DEN-TLV ticket rather than a DEN-EWR and then EWR-TLV ticket.

If there are substantial savings in purchasing two tickets, it may be worth doing because you are staying on the same carrier and UA will generally rebook.

But, for $175, I would rather have the piece of mind of a single ticket and the certainty that in IRROPS, UA will route you to TLV.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Try booking it using the "Multiple Destinations" option and see what happens. Do DEN-EWR, EWR-TLV, TLV-EWR, EWR-DEN. Once it tickets it will all show up on the same PNR anyway and will look no different than if you booked it the way you are talking about.

Sometimes the price at the beginning seems more but follow it all the way through to see what the final result is.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Fare buckets are for city pairs, not flights. You are purchasing a DEN-TLV ticket rather than a DEN-EWR and then EWR-TLV ticket.
I understand that, but I also thought that all of the component flights had to have availability in the given fare class in order to qualify. DEN-EWR-TLV is a valid routing for the fare. If either DEN-EWR or EWR-TLV didn't have W availability, then I would expect not to be able to book that fare class.

I've not heard of contextual fare buckets, but that seems to be the case here? The DEN-EWR leg appears to not have W availability when paired with EWR-TLV, but has W when on its own?

JDS747, I tried a multiple destinations search - unfortunately, it had the same results.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:58 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
It's called "journey logic" or "married segments" where the availability is calculated based on origin and destination, not on an individual leg by leg basis. UA may be able to sell (2) separate fares DEN-EWR in W and add to that a separate EWR-TLV in W for more money than the DEN-TLV via EWR as a single ticket in W, and thus thy don't make the W fare available on a ticket issued as such. The journey controll allowsthem to give origin/destination inventory vs poinby point, and themarried segment part prevents someone from booking a marrid par and thn breaking the mariage to access point to point avalability at a connecting price (there are times when the connecting flights ar cheaper than either of the local fares.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html

https://support.travelport.com/canad...R_marriage.htm

Last edited by fastair; Feb 7, 2013 at 8:04 pm
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much - hadn't encountered married segments before. Your explanation and the links were very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.