Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better to connect in LHR or ORD from Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better to connect in LHR or ORD from Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raehl311
It's not. You have to pick up your bags and go through customs somewhere; if you do it at ORD you just throw them back on a conveyer belt once you walk out of customs.

Actually, you probably won't even do that, a UA employee will likely grab your bags from you and put them on the conveyor (so you don't put them upside down.)

I'll also say that in my limited sample size I've found ORD immigration speedier than IAD immigration, but YMMV.

The real hassle at ORD is the tram ride from T5 to T1 and re-clearing security, but you'll have to reclear security in LHR anyway, so we're talking 5-10 minutes waiting for / on the tram here.

Personally, I'd fly BRU-ORD just to have a one-airline itinerary. Plus after your first flight you're already in the US, so if you misconnect you can separate from your bags and it should be easier to get reaccommodated ORD-IAD than LHR-IAD, especially since ORD-IAD you're probably more willing to take an E+ Y seat than possibly having to get a trans-atlantic J seat on the next UA flight, not to mention two J seats next to each other if that's important to you.

I'll 2nd that you absolutely have lounge privileges in ORD arriving on an international J ticket. If you're worried about the lack of food, well, you'll get two meals on the plane, depending on the equipment you may get another meal on your ORD-IAD flight, and you can also buy a pretty nice dinner for $50.... so I think you'll be well-fed either way.

I would not bother checking out the new T2 lounge unless you're connecting out of T2 or are just tremendously curious; it's either a long walk or another shuttle ride from T2 to T1.
Thanks! Extremely useful post same for Miles Ahead. I'm going to book this flight this weekend as soon as the miles post to my account. Let's hope the availability is still there.

Just to ask again since it may have been overlooked, how do I get on the waitlist for the direct flight after booking this flight online? Also, would I be charged a change fee of $75 if I swap from the connecting flight to the direct flight?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I would book ORD, it will mean that you get to your destination as a domestic passenger saving you time in getting home. The connection is marginally easier in LHR but I'd say it's marginal and I'd rather the safety of being in the US if you hit flight delays (more options).

Yes the LHR lounge is much nicer than a UC but you'll only be there for a couple of hours and $50 is not worth it for lounge access (whatever United might think when they set their day pass fees).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
I'm looking for flights on a Friday in July.
You'll be arriving with SK at 1220, LH at 1230, UA at 1255. Your flight is planned at 1250.

Between 1200-1300 local time, total arriving seats 1060.

As long as you're not late, immigration will be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.