Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wind Blown UA 737 Hits Fuel Tanker

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
UA has been moving PMCO 737's into ORD hub, early morning bank has seen flights flights from PIT, DTW, and CMH too.U

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Jan 20, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:23 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Neither Parking brakes nor wheel chocks would stop a light plane with low clearance from being pushed laterally by the wind on slick smooth (painted line) pavement. Hooking it up to a tug would have prevented it though.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Lucky it was just the nose. A Buffalo wing issue would really have hit the news feeds...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol and A320s too!

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/197...pnews|bc|large

Its been pretty bloody windy up here the last couple days, looks like this was the 739 that flew in from ORD and was parked overnight in BUF.
Maybe the poor bird objected to having to RON in BUF winter weather and thought that the fuel truck could help it to stay warm.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Wind Blown UA 737 Hits Fuel Tanker

http://www.weather.com/news/plane-hi...-wind-20130120

A United Airlines 737 got a rude awakening when strong winds turned the nose of the plane into a fuel truck on the tarmac of Buffalo Niagara International Airport Sunday morning. The airport experienced sustained wind speeds of 25 to 30 mph, and wind gusts reached as high as 61 mph.
Based on the last photo, the nose sure made quite the pivot to get all the way over there. Thankfully, no one was on board at the time.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Wow. Even if the gusts were 61 mph, I'm still kind of surprised that that was enough to turn a properly chocked plane...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:12 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
This thread will likely be merged with the other one started yesterday ANd the nose gear appears to be straight , the wind pushed the plane, it most likely slid, not rolled, contrary to the text in the story.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:13 am

I cant imagine a wind being strong enough to blow an airliner like a 737 into a truck. My guess is someone forgot to set the brakes and a high gust came along giving it a little push.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
A better title: Empty 737 blown into a fuel truck.

Boring. Revised title would never make the headlines in media outlets. OK, maybe on a slow news day.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fastair
Neither Parking brakes nor wheel chocks would stop a light plane with low clearance from being pushed laterally by the wind on slick smooth (painted line) pavement. Hooking it up to a tug would have prevented it though.
Wow! I guess these planes re light up front, so that they will pivot on the rear wheels. But it sure makes me wonder how you land a plane in conditions like this if you cannot safely park it?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Lucky it was just the nose. A Buffalo wing issue would really have hit the news feeds...
hehehe that's a good one

must've been some pretty strong winds to slide a plane laterally.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Buffalo wings have been known to wreak havoc on many things
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
I am sure that someone who used to put chocks under wheels is looking for a new job today......
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/197...ker-at-Airport
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by LEONIDES
I am sure that someone who used to put chocks under wheels is looking for a new job today......
Nope...has nothing to do (trust me, I know) with wheels being chocked or parking breaks. Look at the photo (plus I have photos of multiple other 737s at ORD the day before where the same thing happened, minus the big damage.) There are chocks and the nose gear is straight. No matter how many times one says that it rolled due to no breaks or no chocks, an empty 737 will (and has in multiple incidents that I know of 1st hand from being there over the past week) blown lateraly without rolling on the wheel, without chocks being applied wrong, and in all of the 1st hand cases at ORD I saw, (on wet pavement) leaving a lateral skid mark from where the aircraft was parked to where the aircraft rested after sliding (not rolling) on the pavement (not rubber, but displaced moisture/dirt mark like a squeege would leave.)

The text in the story of "turning the nose" does not say it turned the nose gar. The nose is the front of the plane..that moved, but the gear is still locked forward. I believe there is a shear pin in thre that would require more torque to snap than to tlide the plane a few feet. without putting a torque of significant force on the gar.

Last edited by fastair; Jan 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.