Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Max segments allowed for international United Award round trip ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

This might have been discussed somewhere, but I could not find it. I really need help on this. Following the advice here, I booked the frame work itinerary for March, and then call United to change the flight to July. (because it didn't price online for the July itinerary that requires more segments due to the award ticket availability.)

IAD->SFO->HNL (stopover)
HNL->GUM->MNL->SIN (destination, open jaw)
CAN->NRT->SEA->CLE->IAD

The agent told me that I had 9 segments and the max number of segments was 8. Is this true? Where is this rule specified?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by sndenm
This might have been discussed somewhere, but I could not find it. I really need help on this. Following the advice here, I booked the frame work itinerary for March, and then call United to change the flight to July. (because it didn't price online for the July itinerary that requires more segments due to the award ticket availability.)

IAD->SFO->HNL (stopover)
HNL->GUM->MNL->SIN (destination, open jaw)
CAN->NRT->SEA->CLE->IAD

The agent told me that I had 9 segments and the max number of segments was 8. Is this true? Where is this rule specified?
Max is 12.

Call again for a more informed agent.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:19 pm

Also, I've been told that the open jaw counts as a segment.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Max is 12.

Call again for a more informed agent.
I was told max is 16. A one way has 8 segments. I could be wrong, though.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by dparkinson
I was told max is 16. A one way has 8 segments. I could be wrong, though.
Ive had 12 on a one way.

16 is maximum for every eticket in the world. 12 is UA policy per award reservation.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

@HumbleBee - thanks so much for your advice. I called back and indeed, the other agent had no problem issuing the tickets with 9 segments. I also booked another ticket with similar itinerary except that it departs from LAS instead of IAD. So this new ticket has two open jaws and one stopover, no problem asked.

Thank you all who have replied. I checked the price for this itinerary for July, and it costs around $5000. I couldn't believe I could get it for 65,000 mile plus $62. The UA miles are really valuable!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I've had luck booking many segments like this but an agent just told me a memo was sent out limiting the number of segments on Asian tickets although she would not say to how many which I found strange and annoying even after I asked. I was booking a five segment European one way which she didn't want to do but she came back and said it is allowed since they haven't changed the rules yet. Anyone know the details of the new memo?

Edited to add she was a global services agent although she could also be making stuff up regarding the segments.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Anyone know the details of the new memo?
I had an agent read the memo to me. Discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20684272-post1214.html
Old May 3, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I had an agent read the memo to me. Discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20684272-post1214.html
That sucks...I hope it doesn't restrict routings to Australia via the Atlantic!

I guess we can get around it by booking two one-ways to get 3 connections in each direction to Asia though.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:05 am

I was informed today that a max of 4 segments is permitted one-way on a roundtrip effective August 1
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jjgollum
I was informed today that a max of 4 segments is permitted one-way on a roundtrip effective August 1
Oi, that's gonna cause problems if true.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That sucks...I hope it doesn't restrict routings to Australia via the Atlantic!

I guess we can get around it by booking two one-ways to get 3 connections in each direction to Asia though.
Originally Posted by jjgollum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Oi, that's gonna cause problems if true.
I was reading the post carefully and I am not sure how terrible it will be. I was particularly interested in the last sentence (emphasis mine):

Anyway, I know that agents often say a lot of nonsensical things, but two different reps on two different calls cited the "April 25" memo to me, one of them read it to me, and it seems verified by the computer's rejection of BKK-SIN-IST-FRA-EWR-LAS. The "system" now only allows 3 connections (4 segments) on a one way from US to Asia, or 4 connections (5 segments) on each leg of a round trip between U.S. and Asia.
Depending on exactly how this ("on each leg") is implemented, how would it affect an award R/T that includes stopovers and open jaws? Could each leg be between the origin, open jaw and destination?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Depending on exactly how this ("on each leg") is implemented, how would it affect an award R/T that includes stopovers and open jaws? Could each leg be between the origin, open jaw and destination?
I had to fight like hell to get it, but thinking about the recent HKG-ZRH-PRG / TXL-LHR-EWR / JFK-TPE-HKG r/t I booked, while convoluted, was still only 4 legs total in the outbound direction pre-stopover. Of course, if my in-laws had needed a connection at EWR, that could of technically been the 5th, and they might have been SOL.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I had to fight like hell to get it, but thinking about the recent HKG-ZRH-PRG / TXL-LHR-EWR / JFK-TPE-HKG r/t I booked, while convoluted, was still only 4 legs total in the outbound direction pre-stopover. Of course, if my in-laws had needed a connection at EWR, that could of technically been the 5th, and they might have been SOL.

Open jaws often trip up the auto-pricing of the award. If it doesn't auto-price, they need to manually price it, which requires a supervisor and takes some time.

Since you're going from a 3-minute call to potentially a 30-minute call, it's natural that you're likely to run into some resistance. It's easier to tell you no or make something up than to figure out how to beat SHARES into submission.

Even co-terminal connections (e.g., EWR/JFK) sometimes trip up the auto-pricing.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:38 pm
HCA

The 1k agent I talked to seems imply RT award ticket (US - EU) can only have 8 seg total include open-jaw/stopover with latest policy (Aug 1). I am not sure he is right but did not push further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.