Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 18, 13, 6:54 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K
Question AA New Website So Much Better than UA

Not quite sure why it's taken a long time for United to roll out a sleek, modern website. The current website is just awful and uninspiring. I would venture to say it's probably the worst compared to the other large legacy airlines in the USA.

AA was able to get theirs done very quickly. This is probably their second redo in the span of three years. This new look is very good.

Does United have a timeframe on when they are rolling out a website that can out do all the other guys?
phatom701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 6:58 pm   #2

Programs: UA Premier Plat/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatom701 View Post
Not quite sure why it's taken a long time for United to roll out a sleek, modern website. The current website is just awful and uninspiring. I would venture to say it's probably the worst compared to the other large legacy airlines in the USA.

AA was able to get theirs done very quickly. This is probably their second redo in the span of three years. This new look is very good.

Does United have a timeframe on when they are rolling out a website that can out do all the other guys?
I completely disagree. United's website is quite functional - certainly moreso than pmUA.

If you want bad, try US Scareways sometime or Delta's website. Both make United.com look great.
dmurphynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:06 pm   #3

Programs: UA 1K, TK Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dollar (yes Dollar) Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
I completely disagree. United's website is quite functional - certainly moreso than pmUA.

If you want bad, try US Scareways sometime or Delta's website. Both make United.com look great.
+1

I had to fly US Scareways a couple times last year and their website is totally horrid on the basic things. Good like trying to deal with your reservation (like changing seats) or try to find out where your plane is 3 hrs before your flight.
IflyfromABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:14 pm   #4

Programs: VX Elevate, AA ExPlat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Quote:

When I was talking to the customer experience person at SMD4, they said probably later half of 2013.
edcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:16 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, WN, AA
I tried using the new AA website and I couldn't even use a simple function like sort by price. There are plenty of complaints over on the AA forum so it isn't all great.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Jan 18, 13 at 7:22 pm.. Reason: Speech to text doesn't work so great..
luv2ctheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:20 pm   #6

Programs: 1K|MM
It ain't perfect but AA.com won't error out with a simple multi-segment flight search, which seems like the norm at co.sux these days.
anc-ord772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:27 pm   #7

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH G, Marriott Plat
UA has much more fundamental IT issues to address. Too many stories here of issues which all look to me to be the signs of a very brittle, poorly tested pile of software.

Here are some IT issues I've read about here in the past few weeks that I can recollect straight from memory:
  • Having to stop posting miles for several days because of unexplained issues
  • Two years in a row of many people getting the "wrong" higher status for several days at the turn of the year
  • Changing and missing and inexplicable seat assignment snafus
  • Running promotions, awarding miles, and then clawing them back because the wrong number was posted
  • The infamous 4-miles to HKG in GlobalFirst debacle
  • Being unable to print out an acceptable boarding pass
  • Stuck CPU processing (was this ever working properly? Will it ever? Will UA ever come clean?)
  • Numerous reports of issues actually ticketing award travel on partner airlines, and then not owning the problem

A new web site would be the classic example of lipstick on a pig.

They may own SHARES and avoid paying any royalties to anyone for something better, and think it saves them money, but I really do wonder. The bug fix costs must be enormous, and the hundreds of additional call center staff to field the complaints ain't free either.
bmr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:34 pm   #8

Just moments ago I was on aa.com -- one word, horrid. I'd take united.com anyday.
Indelaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:45 pm   #9

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Global Entry, LEYE Silver
from a design prespective, AA is the winner...easily. UA looks like it was built in 1997 and AA looks like it was built in 2013.

haven't used the AA site, so i'm unsure how the operational aspects compare.
Old Jan 18, 13, 8:04 pm   #10

The blue and gold has really begun to wear on me.
JetAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 8:17 pm   #11

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM & MM, SPG Plat, AClub Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Compared with DL's website, I'm thrilled with UA's website. Their transparent award search engine actually works -- on DL, it's broken in so many ways. Nor can one upgrade DL flights online, view upgrade (R) inventory, etc.

Honestly, I don't care if a website looks like it was designed in 1990, 2000, or 2015. Functionality is what counts -- everything else is just lipstick that sometimes just gets in the way.
FlytheTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 8:20 pm   #12

Programs: UA 1K
My key issue here is, if AA.com can quickly make their website looks good and do so twice in the span of two/three years, what's going on with United.com.

The functionality of AA.com is simple to understand for most users. I haven't fully exercised all the functionality on AA.com yet. But needless to say AA.com brings out the modern simple design language similar to Apple.

United.com might be more functional but it sure looks very dated. I keep thinking this is a website that's designed with a bunch of engineers instead of really hiring the best graphics and usability experts to help develop it.

Let's hope the new website will come sooner. The one good thing is, hub.united.com is a step in that right direction.
phatom701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 8:24 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, AA Plat, DL Silver, Carlson Silver, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Haven't checked out the new AA site yet. I can tell you that UA is much better than US, and the monstrosity that DL unleashed a couple of months ago.
Old Jan 18, 13, 8:36 pm   #14

Programs: UA Premier Plat/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Quote:
My key issue here is, if AA.com can quickly make their website looks good and do so twice in the span of two/three years, what's going on with United.com.
If you have to redesign your website every year, you're doing it wrong.

Frankly, a VT100 interface would be fine for me, so long as it's functional.
dmurphynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 13, 8:38 pm   #15

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Avis First
Not bad, the design of the AA site is much better than United.com, but functionality is a problem...can't sort by price, you've got to be kidding.

Of course, I'd take the pmUA .bomb, if it only worked all the time.

OT, I like the new AA logo, the livery on the other hand .
musing is offline   Reply With Quote