Wiki Posts
Search

AA New Website So Much Better than UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

Change flights and reissue ticket (including different routing) - Old UA website: NO/New UA website: YES
Mobile BP on the smartphone - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Booking and ticketing partner awards - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Viewing upgrade list - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Viewing seat map at anytime - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES
Knowing where the flight's aircraft is coming from and its current position - Old UA: NO/New UA: YES

Rebranding with a new logo is nice and all, and perhaps you don't find the above things important or useful. However, it's 2013, and many of us appreciate the ability to have those information virtually at our fingertips.
Functionality doesn't matter if you don't have the reliability to back it up.

- I have a couple of reservations that will not display or email a receipt (though they're ticketed).
- I have watched people below me on the upgrade list get upgraded ahead of me.
- I have had the website display a different seat (sometimes in a different cabin) than the seat I'm really in on a flight.
- The upgrade requested (blue arrow) is flaky -- I have been upgraded when it wasn't there, I haven't been upgraded when it was there.
- I had one multi-city UA + partners reservation refuse to open to even view it on the website recently (and it would never show on the PDA site)
- The change ticket screens offer fewer flights than a new ticket
- The flexible/refundable options when changing tickets doesn't work, and only offers Y-like fares, not lowest changeable/refundable like it does in a new ticket search (that's a big one -- because it takes a PMUA task which took 30 seconds and makes it a 20-30 minute agent call).

The site may have a few bells and whistles, but it costs me more in time than having a reliable website with perhaps fewer functions.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I tried using the new AA website and I couldn't even use a simple function like sort by price. There are plenty of complaints over on the AA forum so it isn't all great.
While technically the great leap backward that AA took with its ticket selection functions actually predates the new website look by a few weeks, I basically agree with you. The AA site leaves much to be desired, an for key itinerary search/comparison functions has actually become worse than it was last year.

Originally Posted by bmr12
UA has much more fundamental IT issues to address. Too many stories here of issues which all look to me to be the signs of a very brittle, poorly tested pile of software.

Here are some IT issues I've read about here in the past few weeks that I can recollect straight from memory:
  • Having to stop posting miles for several days because of unexplained issues
  • Two years in a row of many people getting the "wrong" higher status for several days at the turn of the year
  • Changing and missing and inexplicable seat assignment snafus
  • Running promotions, awarding miles, and then clawing them back because the wrong number was posted
  • The infamous 4-miles to HKG in GlobalFirst debacle
  • Being unable to print out an acceptable boarding pass
  • Stuck CPU processing (was this ever working properly? Will it ever? Will UA ever come clean?)
  • Numerous reports of issues actually ticketing award travel on partner airlines, and then not owning the problem

A new web site would be the classic example of lipstick on a pig.

They may own SHARES and avoid paying any royalties to anyone for something better, and think it saves them money, but I really do wonder. The bug fix costs must be enormous, and the hundreds of additional call center staff to field the complaints ain't free either.
^ Correct on all counts. Unfortunately, this management team will never admit that SHARES is lousy, no matter how much it imposes indirect costs, serves customers poorly or causes headaches for UA personnel who must work with it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JC5280
I rarely use the wired websites, but if you want to compare mobile tools, I make my AA flying coworkers jealous all day long.

+1. This one of the (very few) things that I miss now that I'm primarily on AA.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I prefer Delta and American's over United's solely on the fact that if you switch all three over to Japanese, DL and AA are quite stable and offer content parity. UA's site begins acting like a beheaded chicken.

The far superior design of DL and AA is just the icing on the cake. I like everything as modern as possible.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
Seems like you guys are the only ones that see it that way. I just searched 3 different itins and it listed lowest... to highest in order. I do not fly AA, so won't be using it, but I wish the CO site did that. The CO/ua site BLOCKS the cheapest options. Check it out...
You must not have read the complaints from the link I provided you. Plenty of evidence both here and the other thread that it can't sort by price. If you are so certain it can list by lowest price, please enlighten me on how to have it sort by lowest with a sample list of flights shown below (LAX-SEA 2/18):

What do you click on to have it sort by lowest price? As you can clearly see, it's scattered all over the place (even though it says lowest price is $200 on the tab, but that is on the bottom). It seems like you have some special ability/browser to have the flights listed by price. A screen shot or a sample itinerary where your flights are listed by price would help provide support for your claim.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:39 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I can book a flight on united.com very quickly, from my PC, phone or iPad.

I can check in on united.com very quickly, from my PC, phone, or iPad.

I can check flight status on united.com very quickly from my PC, phone, or iPad.

Fancy flash and goobers that eat bandwidth and slow the process waste my time.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I can book a flight on united.com very quickly, from my PC, phone or iPad.

I can check in on united.com very quickly, from my PC, phone, or iPad.

I can check flight status on united.com very quickly from my PC, phone, or iPad.

+1

No need for a fancy Delta.com, all we need is to clear the clutter
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer

Couldn't agree more. Which is why AA has such a leg up against UA.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
You must not have read the complaints from the link I provided you. Plenty of evidence both here and the other thread that it can't sort by price. If you are so certain it can list by lowest price, please enlighten me on how to have it sort by lowest with a sample list of flights shown below (LAX-SEA 2/18):

What do you click on to have it sort by lowest price? As you can clearly see, it's scattered all over the place (even though it says lowest price is $200 on the tab, but that is on the bottom). It seems like you have some special ability/browser to have the flights listed by price. A screen shot or a sample itinerary where your flights are listed by price would help provide support for your claim.
LOL sorry I wasn't monitoring FT all weekend... I apologize for not responding to your comments. LOL. The searches I completed automatically sorted fares by price. I only looked at 3... if it doesn't work for you or others I will defer. You obviously spend a lot more time on it, than I did with 3 quick searches.

Just to be clear.. how do you feel about UA's site simply not showing the cheapest fares available? Isn't that worse??? It is to me, and for that reason I find UA's site lacking.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
UA's site is easier to use, but UA's IT infrastructure is really several different systems cobbled together and cobbling lots of systems together is never good for reliability.

Still, usually far easier for me to book new travel on UA than AA and DL.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
AA's site can't even reinstate miles from an international award ticket without a 45 min phone call for non-elites
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Just one more data point here. I recently moved and updated my address just fine on the UA site. AA errors out, helpfully letting me know that "This feature is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try again later."
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
from a design prespective, AA is the winner...easily. UA looks like it was built in 1997 and AA looks like it was built in 2013.

haven't used the AA site, so i'm unsure how the operational aspects compare.
Between the two I'd agree, AA looks a bit better. I also much preferred the aesthetics of the old UA.bomb much more than either AA or the re-badged CO.com of today...vintage 1997 is an apt description (much like the FlyerTalk search capability!)

I also thought the old UA marketing and ads were light years ahead of what they have now - I miss the soft, abstract illustrations used in the ads and website, compared to the boring pictures from shutterstock.com that CO/UA uses now.

Of course the old .bomb was had lots of functionality issues, too. As far as utility of AA or UA, they both have glitchy issues at times in my experience. I'm not sure I would rate either that highly. Unlike UA, the AA site only has a limited number of partners available for award booking (though they are improving)...though I guess that's more of a systems interface issue rather than purely web design?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 787fan
AA's site can't even reinstate miles from an international award ticket without a 45 min phone call for non-elites
And United's website can't reinstate an RPU/GPU that didn't clear without what is often a 20 min phone call for elites...there will always be things that we as flyers think should be simple that for whatever reason (old backed systems, complexity across systems that isn't apparent, apathy/intent on the part of the airline to make it hard, etc), the systems can't seem to do.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by phatom701
Not quite sure why it's taken a long time for United to roll out a sleek, modern website. The current website is just awful and uninspiring. I would venture to say it's probably the worst compared to the other large legacy airlines in the USA.

AA was able to get theirs done very quickly. This is probably their second redo in the span of three years. This new look is very good.

Does United have a timeframe on when they are rolling out a website that can out do all the other guys?
No. Just No.
The new logo absolutely blows and I hate the new fare display.
Give me the old website any day.
(Then again I am less affected as I mainly use the website to purchase web only fares that I can't get in the GDS sometimes and to use promo codes.)
New website is better IMO than UA.bomb (which defaults to YVR when I am overseas because I use company VPN.)
I wish AA could show fare rules as easily as UA.bomb though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.