Wiki Posts
Search

Why Did My CPU (Upgrade) Not Clear?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:38 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I use the seat map for E+ as a sort of guide for how many Premiers are likely on the flight. If the E+ seat map is mostly full, I assume there are a significant number of Premiers, so I agree with mgcsinc. Likely more 1Ks and Plats who would get CPUs before a Gold. But good luck AppleApe.

Originally Posted by SkiCO
“Our goal is to increase that (Ancilliary Rev) by $200 million in 2015” said John Rainey CFO yesterday. United simply needs to juice profits so they are selling those upgrades at checkin. Remember that when thinking about pursuing 1K or ever thinking Gold status will get you anywhere.

Also Rainey was the same guy who said United elites were over-entitled. I've taken my loyalty elsewhere and been rewarded. Vote with your wallet and not by buying the upgrade; fly a carrier whose FF program and miles reward your spend.
SkiCO, have you seen a transcript from the J.P. Morgan conference yesterday so you could quote Rainey's remarks? I have been googling for quotes from him and have not found anything.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
More than half full E+ is a very bad sign for anyone below Plat.
Agreed.

It will be tough upgrade for Golds.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:02 pm

I'm currently sitting in the AC waiting for my delayed AA flight(almost 3 hours), so I have a lot of time on my hands.

I just called UA again and asked about the upgrade. I asked if I can use my UA miles to upgrade that flight. The agent checked and told me YES. Do mileage upgrade and CPU come from different fare buckets?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AppleApe
I guess UA thinks it will sell those 11 open first class seats within a day? I called UA a minute ago and was told that I can buy all those 11 seats if I wanted to, since they are all available for sale....
The CPU upgrade language says "as early as" 36 hours. There's a good chance quite a few ahead of you haven't been upgraded yet. I'm pretty sure you will be in a coach seat.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:27 pm
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I'm currently sitting in the AC waiting for my delayed AA flight(almost 3 hours), so I have a lot of time on my hands.

I just called UA again and asked about the upgrade. I asked if I can use my UA miles to upgrade that flight. The agent checked and told me YES. Do mileage upgrade and CPU come from different fare buckets?
Yes. Different buckets. I suggest that you read the several threads about upgrades in the Master WIKI thread. Persons have compiled a lot of useful information there.
There is lots of very helpful and informative information there to help you learn about all the various aspects of upgrades.

Good luck with your CPU, but given the overall description of your situation it sounds like your chances are slim for a CPU.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The CPU upgrade language says "as early as" 36 hours. There's a good chance quite a few ahead of you haven't been upgraded yet. I'm pretty sure you will be in a coach seat.
Language is "as early as 48 hours" for a Gold member.

Last edited by mkr; Mar 4, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkr
Language is "as early as 48 hours" for a Gold member.
My bad - 48 hours. OP will still be in coach if he/she hoping for CPU, in all likelihood...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My bad - 48 hours. OP will still be in coach if he/she hoping for CPU, in all likelihood...
I'm confused.(still)

It is now within the 24-hour window. Just done OLCI... I'm not upgraded yet, but my name is the *only* name on the upgrade standby list. To the left of that, the same 3 people who were upgraded days ago are still there. (one of the names is PAL, S... not Sarah Palin, I hope? )
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:02 am
mkr
Suspended

I'm confused.(still)

It is now within the 24-hour window. Just done OLCI... I'm not upgraded yet, but my name is the *only* name on the upgrade standby list. To the left of that, the same 3 people who were upgraded days ago are still there. (one of the names is PAL, S... not Sarah Palin, I hope? )
AppleApe I am sorry that you are still confused.

(1) You cannot go by seat map to know how many empty seats there are in First.

(2) Seats are controlled by revenue management. They decide if and when to release seats for CPU. They can decide to wait until the last minute for sales at the airport.

(3) The people on the upgrade standby list are those who have checked in. That changes as persons check in. The computer runs in the background to do "sweeps" that upgrade persons to available First Class seats. The list you see does not include all upgradeable persons for the flight.

(4) I repeat my earlier suggestion to read the several threads on CPUs found in the MP Master WIKI in the "sticky" post at the beginning of the threads in the MP forum.

(5). What is your itinerary?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by limey1K
Same here. I can't remember the last time I got one at T-96. My experience has been seeing plenty of open F seats at t-96 and then watching them dwindle to Zero by boarding. I usually sit at #1-5 on the list and watch the seats evaporate. I guess there are a ton of people taking them up on the buy-up offers.
My experience exactly even as a 1K. As has been said before "Welcome to the new United."
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:19 am
mkr
Suspended

hans, I have several CPUs clear at 96 hours, and many at 72 hrs. It depends on many factors...routes, time of day, day of week, SDCs, IRROPS, elite-heavy cities...I am sorry you have had poor experiences with CPUs.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I'm confused.(still)

AS EARLY AS 48 hours means *maybe* at 48 hours, maybe at 48 minutes, maybe never. CPUs are a perk, they are not guaranteed, and have nothing to do with the number of seats showing in the seat map.

mobile.united.com -- enter your flight information and check status. on the upgrades tab you can see the number of F seats booked versus available.

as people check in, they will begin to show up on the list you are currently on. your position will continue to drop. hopefully it stays above n+1, where n is the number of seats available. good luck.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mkr
hans, I have several CPUs clear at 96 hours, and many at 72 hrs. It depends on many factors...routes, time of day, day of week, SDCs, IRROPS, elite-heavy cities...I am sorry you have had poor experiences with CPUs.
It also heavily depends on the size of F cabin.

319/320 with 8/12 F is no go for me. I try to book on sUA 757 with 24 F seats.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by mkr
The biggest factor for me is I'm typically flying hub to hub (based in DEN). Can't do much about that but.....those upgrades used to clear routinely and now only rarely. Capacity also has changed; I used to get 777s and then 757s and now its Airbii.

I'm 1 for 16 so far this year.

Last edited by hans; Mar 5, 2015 at 12:23 pm
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hans
The biggest factor for me is I'm typically flying hub to hub (based in DEN). Can't do much about that but.....those upgrades used to clear routinely and now only rarely. Capacity also has changed; I used to get 777s and then 757s and now its Airbii.

I'm 1 for 16 so far this year.
Yeah, we'd like UA to optimize their F seat capacity satisfy to CPU demand (or at least to the CPU demand at the Premier level we're personally at), but UA wants to optimize their fleet to the paid F demand. Luckily for us, UA is (usually) generally somewhere between as it's operationally impossible to get to the where they'd like to get to.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
AS EARLY AS 48 hours means *maybe* at 48 hours, maybe at 48 minutes, maybe never. CPUs are a perk, they are not guaranteed, and have nothing to do with the number of seats showing in the seat map.

mobile.united.com -- enter your flight information and check status. on the upgrades tab you can see the number of F seats booked versus available.

as people check in, they will begin to show up on the list you are currently on. your position will continue to drop. hopefully it stays above n+1, where n is the number of seats available. good luck.
I'm only a Gold flying on L fare(TPAC connecting
to Trans-Con nonstop flight), so I just saw my name
on the standby list with 12 hours to go: #38

(yay! at least it's not completely hopeless.. there is
always a chance that the 37 people ahead of me
will cancel their travel plans tomorrow... right....
that's better odds than a female Republican or
Democrat becoming the POTUS in the next 30 years)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.