Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA pilot surprises soldier son

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:39 am
Original Poster

UA pilot surprises soldier son

http://www.kiro7.com/news/trending-now/dad-surprises-soldier-son-as-captain-of-his-flight-home/248137698

Just thought I'd share this happy story
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:06 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Above link seems to be out of service... see below from ABC:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/father-surp...ry?id=38704096
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Really great story!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS
So awesome, brought a tear to the eye.

To top it off, the son got to sit in 2K GF seat, the best one on the plane!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thanks for making me cry. Awesome story.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
wow! touching story. What a deep moving experience for Dad.

Interesting observation: US Army chartered a 3 class plane? I see soldiers all the time on flights to FRA and ICN, but they sit way in the back. Maybe officers get to fly BF.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by MostlyUA

Interesting observation: US Army chartered a 3 class plane? I see soldiers all the time on flights to FRA and ICN, but they sit way in the back. Maybe officers get to fly BF.
My guess would be that if the DoD is buying tickets on commercial flights its Economy, but in the case where they're transporting large numbers by chartering the entire plane the premium cabin goes by rank/seniority.

Not like they arent going to use the GF/BF cabins if they have the entire plane.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by phxrsng
My guess would be that if the DoD is buying tickets on commercial flights its Economy, but in the case where they're transporting large numbers by chartering the entire plane the premium cabin goes by rank/seniority.

Not like they arent going to use the GF/BF cabins if they have the entire plane.
YEP - TRANSCOM likely chartered the flight to get servicemembers back stateside. Plus, regular commercial Kuwait flights ended back in January...
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by MostlyUA

As mentioned earlier it was a TRANSCOM flight. You could only see army in the footage but there would have been service members from all branches and probably even a few DoD contractors in the plane. Norfolk VA is a gateway city for these types of flights. Largest unit on the plane is probably out of VA.

It is always a real treat to get a "real" commercial airplane back vice military or a stripped down charter/logistics aircraft.

Love this video. Not sure how United pulled it off, but this story is more important to me than my upgrade which cleared for tomorrow. Thank you United.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Paolo01
Not sure how United pulled it off,
https://hub.united.com/united-captai...756923601.html

Pretty easy. The captain saw the line in his bid pack and picked it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.