Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Launches Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gengar
Wifi Completion Status (Last Updated: 1/16/2015)
United Wi-Fi installation

Mainland USA
  • B737 - 187/253 Complete (74%)
  • B757 - 26/133 Complete (20%)

Worldwide Coverage
  • A319 - 55/55 Complete (100%)
  • A320 - 97/97 Complete (100%)
  • B747 - 24/24 Complete (100%)
  • B767 - 2/51 Complete (4%)
  • B777 - 42/74 Complete (57%)
  • B787 - 3/14 Complete (21%)

Worldwide Coverage Area
Satellite coverage may experience outages for reasons such as government regulations, weather and switching between satellite regions.

Gogo (PS Flights) Coverage Area

Pricing Data Points
City Pair / ~ Duration / Standard Cost / Premium Cost / Comments on Quality
747-400 (Panasonic):
  • SFO-FRA / 10 hrs / ?? / $22.99 / (5/2013) Peak speed was 6.5Mbps down, 2Mbps up. 700ms latency. awesome. (unavaca)
  • HNL-NRT / 8 hrs / $14.99 / $22.99 / The service worked all the way across the pacific, I was surprised at how reliable it was. The speediest I did topped out at .26mb, hardly "premium", but if you're ok with general web browsing and chatting with iMessage, it worked like a champ.
  • LAX-SYD / 14 hrs / $16.99 / No premium options. (Col Ronson) 3Mbps download speed test, worked for 95% of flight
  • SFO-HKG / 15 hrs / $16.99 / No premium option / (1/2014) (unavaca) speedtest immediately after wi-fi was available gave 700ms, 7Mbit down, 0.5Mbit up
  • BKK-NRT / 5 hr / $16.99 / No premium option / (SS255)
  • PEK-SFO / 11 hr / $16.99 / No premium option / Net access kept going down over the Pacific / Ookla speedtest 3.09 Mbps down, 0.23 Mbps up, 894ms RTT.

A319/A320 (Panasonic):
  • EWR-SFO / 6 hrs / $12.99 / $19.99 (IIRC)
  • EWR-SFO / 6 hrs / $14.99 / no premium option (3/2014) (greg99) speedtest 2498kbps d/l and an awesome 95kbps u/l (not a typo) 578ms latency
  • SFO-PHL / ~5.5 hrs / $14.99 / no premium option (4/2014) (qisu) didn't do speed test. good part of the flight had slow speed or no connection at all.
  • PHL-SFO / 6 hrs / $12.99 / no premium option (4/2014) (qisu) speedtest 2-3megabits down.
  • PHL-IAH / 4 hrs / $9.99 / $12.99 (IIRC, standard may have been $7.99?)
  • PHL-IAH / 3 hrs / $6.99 / no premium option [10/2013]
  • ORD-LAS / 3.5 hrs / $7.99 / No premium option. (lenscap)
  • ORD-SEA / 4 hrs / $9.99 / No premium option. (qisu)
  • ORD-LAX / 4 hrs / $8.99 / No premium option / speedtest peak 3mbps, average 600kbps to 1.5mbps
  • ORD-YVR / 4 hrs / $8.99 / No premium option / speedtest 3.86 Mbps to 10.70 Mbps down / 0.18 to 0.37 Mbps up - very reliable throughout the flight
  • IAD-LAX / 5 hrs / $12.99 / No premium option / speedtest peak 1.5mbps, average 400kbps to 800kbps, worked for 80% of flight but pretty spotty at times, but at least FA announced signal was poor
  • IAD-SEA / 5 hrs / $12.99 / No premium option / A319
  • SFO-LAX / 1 hr / $3.99 / No premium option / A319 (greg99)
  • SFO-ORD / 4 hr / $9.99 / No premium option / A320 / Pretty reliable, up most of the flight
  • IAH-SEA / 4.5 hrs / $8.99 / no premium option A320 (6/2014) (qisu) speedtest 5megabits down, 0.2 megabits up.

City Pair / ~ Duration / Standard or Limited Access Cost / Premium or Full Access Cost / Comments on Quality
737s (Thales LiveTV): [prices are per-hour]
  • IAH-TPA / ?? / $1 / $2 / (2/2014) (ssullivan) 23-25Mbps downstream (Premium/full access service). No service over Gulf of Mexico.
  • MIA-EWR / 2 hr / $1 / $2 / (3/2014) (hirohito888) 16Mbps down, 1Mbps up [not sure if this is for the regular or full access]
  • PDX-IAH / 4 hr / $1 / $2 / (4/2014) (qisu) regular was very slow, speed test about 100kilobits down.
  • SEA-IAH / 4 hr / $1 / $2 / (5/2014) (edcho) full access was speedy. 22 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. Ping was 700ms.
  • SEA-IAH / 4 hr / $1 / $2 / (6/2014) (qisu) full access, 5-15 Mbps down, 0.2 Mbps up.
Print Wikipost

United Launches Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Is the service available (and reliable) on the EWR-HKG polar route that flies due north, then due south through Russia and China?
You can find the map here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...i/default.aspx

It's sort of hard to see but when you are very close to the poles the coverage drops for a few hours (depending on actual flight path).
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RockinRon
You can find the map here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...i/default.aspx

It's sort of hard to see but when you are very close to the poles the coverage drops for a few hours (depending on actual flight path).
Thank you...it appears we don't lose coverage over China, but they turn the system off?? Why in the world would a US carrier do that on a flight not landing in, or departing from that country? Or the map just shows that for in/ex China flights?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2019 at 11:50 pm Reason: Removed OMNI comment
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Thank you...it appears we don't lose coverage over communist China, but they turn the system off?? Why in the world would a US carrier do that on a flight not landing in, or departing from that country? Or the map just shows that for in/ex China flights?
I believe it is due to the fact that you are in Chinese airpsace and the airlines need to abide by Chinese rules, regulations and laws - or they won't be allowed to fly in that airspace. China to this day still controls and censors the internet - and regardless of our opinion of that it is what it is. An airplane unfortunately is not a flying embassy...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tovo
I will be traveling to Rio de Janiero. HAs anyone tried to use remote logins like Teamviewer or GOTOMYPC to access their computer back at home while on the WIFI on a United plane?
Just did today, though just over contiguous US. TeamViewer connection was "fine". Stayed connected the whole time but mouse clicks and keystrokes were more delayed than with on-ground internet. File Transfer was also slow, but within reason.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I believe it is due to the fact that you are in Chinese airpsace and the airlines need to abide by Chinese rules, regulations and laws - or they won't be allowed to fly in that airspace. China to this day still controls and censors the internet - and regardless of our opinion of that it is what it is. An airplane unfortunately is not a flying embassy...
I believe Panasonic Avionics does have a deal with China in which it will provide service in Chinese airspace through a Chinese gateway, but that gateway is not active yet. MU is supposed to launch WiFi later this year using that system.

It would really be amusing if someone built a plane that could go above the Kármán Line, and used such a capability to pass over China while maintaining internet connectivity on board, just to make a point about how stupid this is. Richard Branson seems crazy enough to do something like that as a publicity stunt.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:31 pm

Why in the world would a US carrier do that on a flight not landing in, or departing from that country? Or the map just shows that for in/ex China flights?
The system must be disabled over Chinese air space because Panasonic and UA do not have a license to operate it there. Licensing of radio spectrum is a fascinatingly complex thing and rarely does it behave logically.

Originally Posted by STS-134
I believe Panasonic Avionics does have a deal with China in which it will provide service in Chinese airspace through a Chinese gateway, but that gateway is not active yet. MU is supposed to launch WiFi later this year using that system.
There is already service on MU via Panasonic; it is the only carrier flying with the necessary licenses to operate in Chinese airspace today though GEE (the company providing wifi to WN, DY and a couple others) has just acquired the licenses and will trial with CA later this year.

Even with those licenses in place it is unlikely that non-Chinese airlines will be operating connections in Chinese airspace in the near future. Switching over en route is possible but the user experience would suck. Plus China would have to approve the connectivity on those planes.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
The system must be disabled over Chinese air space because Panasonic and UA do not have a license to operate it there. Licensing of radio spectrum is a fascinatingly complex thing and rarely does it behave logically...
This doesn't make sense if the system is satellite based and not using any antennas or radio systems on the ground, or any local telecom infrastructure.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:05 pm

This doesn't make sense if the system is satellite based and not using any antennas or radio systems on the ground, or any local telecom infrastructure.
You are free to believe such. But the ITU and most sovereign governments will disagree with you. China gets to regulate the use of radio spectrum in its airspace, just like the USA and every other country does.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Just did today, though just over contiguous US. TeamViewer connection was "fine". Stayed connected the whole time but mouse clicks and keystrokes were more delayed than with on-ground internet. File Transfer was also slow, but within reason.

Thank you so much. Were you just traveling in the US or did you mean that it only worked when you were over US airspace?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
You are free to believe such. But the ITU and most sovereign governments will disagree with you. China gets to regulate the use of radio spectrum in its airspace, just like the USA and every other country does.
On the other hand, it is kind of a {lousy} move by the Chinese government to deny access to the spectrum in its airspace. Just look at the map: no other country does this.

The solution to this is for other countries (like the US) to reciprocate and deny Chinese airlines the ability to use satellites for WiFi while in their airspaces. So pax on MU or CA bound for LAX, IAH, EWR, JFK, or IAD? Yeah, sorry, no wifi for them, until UA can offer wifi in China. {redacted}

As you said, sovereign governments get to decide who uses what spectrum in their airspace. They don't have to give a reason for it, they can simply deny its use. And the reason for denying MU and CA WiFi access in US airspace can really be as simple as "we don't like what you're doing to our airlines when they go through your airspace, so your airlines are likewise denied until you be more reasonable."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2016 at 1:07 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
On the other hand, it is kind of a {lousy} move by the Chinese government to deny access to the spectrum in its airspace. Just look at the map: no other country does this.
Chile is shown as such on the map. And, despite not being shown as such, I know there are strict rules in India limiting connectivity on airplanes. Last I checked in-flight connectivity is not an option there.

As for a reciprocal ban to force China's hand, good luck with that. Just doesn't add up with reality in terms of how things work in the real world. The Chinese government is happy to have internet access limited as much as is feasible for its citizens.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2016 at 1:08 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edits
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The Chinese government is happy to have internet access limited as much as is feasible for its citizens.
This - and most certainly doesn't care about the inconvenience of passengers flying through its airspace. Chalk it up to "It is what it is" IMHO.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tovo
Thank you so much. Were you just traveling in the US or did you mean that it only worked when you were over US airspace?
Yes, I was traveling domestic US.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Over the last two weeks I've been on 12 UA domestic flights and I always buy the wifi.

I noticed a change this week with wifi on my flights to / from SFO. On both the outbound and inbound flights the wifi was working both above AND below 10k feet - in fact it never stopped working! I think this is GREAT if it is here to stay but didn't want to assume that this was a permanent change - Please note that I was on a 757, 73X, and A320 this week and ALL of them allowed me to use wifi above and below 10k feet so I don't think it is specific to plane type...

A change we will like? Or just someone forgetting to switch it off?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Over the last two weeks I've been on 12 UA domestic flights and I always buy the wifi
The wifi should be available from pushback until arrival at the gate at the destination. This was a change that was made (on the 737 fleet, at least) last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.