Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked a connecting flight, standby at the airport for non stop?

Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond

Quick question... I was always under the impression that if I booked say SEA - SFO - LAX, I could get to the airport and standby for a nonstop SEA - LAX. I frequently get agents trying to waitlist me for the flight (which from my understanding means ill only get on if the same fare class opens up), when what I really want is to standby meaning I'll get on the standby list and will get on the flight on a space available basis after everybody has boarded if I clear, regardless of care classes.

I saw this on the united website (bolding is mine):

You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
Does this mean I cannot standby for the nonstop?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tann1001
.... Does this mean I cannot standby for the nonstop? .....
correct BUT you can do a Same Day Change for the non-stop. Same fee and less worry.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-wikipost.html

Same-day flight changes

Fare classes tend to be a non-issue day of travel
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC One Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I've been able to standby for a nonstop many times. Never had an issue. I have had an issue trying to change do a different one stop routing - they don't want you to get stuck at an intermediate destination

Last edited by sammybk; Mar 14, 2014 at 5:28 pm
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

The problem with the same day change is that it only allows you to do that if the same fare class is available correct?

In this particular case, the non-stop is booked full anyway so it won't let me do a same-day change. However there could be no shows or whatever... And those are the seats that I'm thinking are my best shot. It seems there is no way to do that with the new united
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammybk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC One Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I've been able to standby for a nonstop many times. Never had an issue. I have had an issue trying to change do a different one stop routing - they don't want you to get stuck at an intermediate destination
I've had mixed results. Some agents say it cannot be done, and then I walk to customer service and 5 keystrokes later, a standby card comes out.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by tann1001
Does this mean I cannot standby for the nonstop?
Correct. Some agents will let you standby, but know that they're doing you a favor; it's not allowed according to the rules.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Summary:

It can be done.

Many agents will do it.

It's against the rules.

You can do SDC. Set an expertflyer alert. Space really does often open up, even if right now it's Y0.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Summary:

It can be done.

Many agents will do it.

It's against the rules.

You can do SDC. Set an expertflyer alert. Space really does often open up, even if right now it's Y0.
I do it almost monthly. I have never had a problem. It has been harder to have them add you to a flight with a connection. Let's say you have a little extra time and you want to have an In-N-Out burger in SFO on your way to Seattle from let's say the East Coast. Can't say I've ever done that though
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingeagle
I do it almost monthly. I have never had a problem. It has been harder to have them add you to a flight with a connection. Let's say you have a little extra time and you want to have an In-N-Out burger in SFO on your way to Seattle from let's say the East Coast. Can't say I've ever done that though
For that, there's SDC. And that's a totally valid use of it.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sammybk
hmm, i have not had any issues in changing the connecting city using SDC. have done it a number of times.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by qisu
hmm, i have not had any issues in changing the connecting city using SDC. have done it a number of times.
The policy being discussed was standby.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I had trouble doing this. All flights out of PWM had been cancelled due to low cloud cover, and I was forced to ride the bus (on my dime) to BOS in the middle of the night, where United had set up a connecting itinerary back to SFO via ORD, much later in the day. I asked the ticket agent to put me on the standby list for the first nonstop of the day. He wasn't able to do it, nor could the first United Club agent make it happen. A second UC agent did something like a long sell, which took quite a while. Eventually I got my standby card and proceeded to the gate. I was the only standby passenger, and barely made it on this overbooked Monday morning flight. Finally, the gate agents had trouble reconciling the change and asked me to proceed on board without retaining a boarding pass stub.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

SDC allows a change of routing - standby does not.

Theory being (I think) that with a routing change, you may not get on the second leg. The what happens. Of course, going from a connection to a nonstop doesn't have that risk, which is why you probably find agents willing to do it.

For an SDC, of course since it is confirmed, a routing hangs isn't an issue.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by emcampbe
SDC allows a change of routing - standby does not.

Theory being (I think) that with a routing change, you may not get on the second leg. The what happens. Of course, going from a connection to a nonstop doesn't have that risk, which is why you probably find agents willing to do it.
this is exactly right, but another case where UA has written its rules so tightly that they defy logic (technically disallowing SBY from a connecting to a non-stop).

IIRC, fare buckets are supposed to "level out" at T-3hrs to departure, so if a seat is available in any fare class it should technically be available for SDC even if you are in a lower fare bucket...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.