FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   IRROPS policies for UA customers: 2013 and beyond. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1426742-irrops-policies-ua-customers-2013-beyond.html)

SFOFastAir Jan 11, 2013 12:23 pm

IRROPS policies for UA customers: 2013 and beyond.

Originally Posted by Brasila (Post 20026222)
Then why believe anything UA says??? It is more then a rant but a logging of grievances against COdbaUA and the way they dishonestly do business with their customers...IRROPS is their best example of the customer be damned.....:rolleyes:

New guidelines for handling customers during IRROPs were published this week. The new guidelines have just about everything that I've seen that FTers want. These guidelines are more similar to what pmUA did but go somewhat further in the customer's favor and from what I gather here on FT represent a radical change from pmCO procedures. So if you're in an IRROP situation and don't think you are getting what you deserve ask the agent if they're aware of new guidelines communicated in early Jan 2013.

UA-NYC Jan 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir (Post 20026447)
In the past week there are new guideline for handling customer during IRROPs. The new guideline have just about everything that I seen FTers want. These guidelines are more similar to what pmUA did but go somewhat further in the customer's favor and from what gather here of FT represent radical change from pmCO. So if your in an IRROP situation and don't think you are getting what you deserve as the agent if they're aware of new guidelines communicated in early Jan 2013.

PLEASE TELL MORE!!!

(very worthy of a new thread entirely)

SFOFastAir Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm

I know it was OT but I responding to the comment "IRROPS is their best example of the customer be damned...".

Mods can move to new thread but the guidelines are an internal document and I won't discuss the specifics. They are very favorable to the customer. Believe when I say they offer just about everything FTers have ever said they should get in terms of getting to where they are going. They do not address or change the amenities provided during IRROPs.

Because information dissemination is not a UA strong point I hope I'm giving everyone a data point to help them get what they are entitled to and enhance their service recovery experience.

Ocn Vw 1K Jan 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Moderator note.

FYI, these posts were in the thread about the new boarding process, but have been placed in a new thread, given the subject. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

rob_flies_ua Jan 11, 2013 2:41 pm

New guidelines for handling customers during IRROPs were published this week. The new guidelines have just about everything that I've seen that FTers want. These guidelines are more similar to what pmUA did but go somewhat further in the customer's favor and from what I gather here on FT represent a radical change from pmCO procedures. So if you're in an IRROP situation and don't think you are getting what you deserve ask the agent if they're aware of new guidelines communicated in early Jan 2013.

woohoo! can't wait to hear more

CDKing Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Might have to talk to the people in the UC to see if they will give any details ;).

I hope not to have to find out.

LilAbner Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Is this the NEW poop or old stuff???

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...virtual_expert

goalie Jan 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Bolding mine: ^ If you are at liberty to say, I'm dying to know more* as I'm flying Saturday & Sunday (1/12 & 1/13)

*especially if the old "1k's get a hotel regardless of the delay" is officially back ;)

FlyWorld Jan 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir (Post 20026834)
I know it was OT but I responding to the comment "IRROPS is their best example of the customer be damned...".

Mods can move to new thread but the guidelines are an internal document and I won't discuss the specifics. They are very favorable to the customer. Believe when I say they offer just about everything FTers have ever said they should get in terms of getting to where they are going. They do not address or change the amenities provided during IRROPs.

Because information dissemination is not a UA strong point I hope I'm giving everyone a data point to help them get what they are entitled to and enhance their service recovery experience.

The biggest issue that I have picked up from conversations on this topic is the refusal of agents to provide a reasonable range of alternatives, whether that means going with another carrier, or whether that means going with UA metal at a higher fare class. In fact, the single most egregious change I've seen discussed was that you can only fly in same fare class. So, if you bought an S fare, and your flight was cancelled, and the next available UA metal seat with an S fare is 3 days out, then you have to sit and wait 3 days to get on that flight, even if there is a UA flight leaving with an empty seat in 40 minutes, but it only has B buckets left on it.

Can you comment on how this scenario is treated under the new guidelines?

flyingmusicianlax Jan 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Perhaps Shannon would be willing to fill us in...

cyclogenesis Jan 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Let me add my voice to the chorus..

I have actually started seeing some changes I like recently from better on-time service, to better trained and happier staff (aka CS) to more transparency.

This would be a great addition.

QBK Jan 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir (Post 20026834)
Believe when I say they offer just about everything FTers have ever said they should get in terms of getting to where they are going. They do not address or change the amenities provided during IRROPs.

Originally Posted by mitchmu (Post 20027553)
The biggest issue that I have picked up from conversations on this topic is the refusal of agents to provide a reasonable range of alternatives, whether that means going with another carrier, or whether that means going with UA metal at a higher fare class. In fact, the single most egregious change I've seen discussed was that you can only fly in same fare class. So, if you bought an S fare, and your flight was cancelled, and the next available UA metal seat with an S fare is 3 days out, then you have to sit and wait 3 days to get on that flight, even if there is a UA flight leaving with an empty seat in 40 minutes, but it only has B buckets left on it.

My uninformed interpretation of SFOFastAir's post (esp. highlighted phrases) is that the new policy is exactly about the problem that mitchmu points out above. Hotels are clearly an amenity, so I predict no change there. But if the full range of rebooking options (higher fare class, premium cabin, other airlines, etc.) are available, this is a good thing.

Honestly, I haven't had a problem with this since the merger. With one understandable exception, I've been rebooked very generously (frequently in full Y) by both PMCO and PMUA agents -- both in IRROPS and in response to quotidian SDC requests. But maybe I've just gotten lucky and dealt with agents who were willing to ignore the official policy (like the GA who told me up front that he was getting laid off in 3 days, and happily protected me on three separate itineraries, 36 hours out, in full Y). If elites can expect that kind of latitude, then I say ^.

That said... there's something of a zero-sum game here. With flights running so close to capacity, every seat that I get in IRROPS is a seat that somebody (probably with lower status, or somebody willing to pay for it) [i]doesn't[i] get. I suspect I'll like this change (whatever it is)... but I bet some group will get the short end.

cloudybw Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

1K/GS has always been allowed to get a hotel regardless of the reason, even before this new guideline. I was given one due to weather in June 2012.

If denied, ask the agent to search for "GG Amenity" in their system.

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 20027497)
Bolding mine: ^ If you are at liberty to say, I'm dying to know more* as I'm flying Saturday & Sunday (1/12 & 1/13)

*especially if the old "1k's get a hotel regardless of the delay" is officially back ;)

FlyWorld Jan 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by QBK (Post 20027728)
My uninformed interpretation of SFOFastAir's post (esp. highlighted phrases) is that the new policy is exactly about the problem that mitchmu points out above. Hotels are clearly an amenity, so I predict no change there. But if the full range of rebooking options (higher fare class, premium cabin, other airlines, etc.) are available, this is a good thing.

Honestly, I haven't had a problem with this since the merger. With one understandable exception, I've been rebooked very generously (frequently in full Y) by both PMCO and PMUA agents -- both in IRROPS and in response to quotidian SDC requests. But maybe I've just gotten lucky and dealt with agents who were willing to ignore the official policy (like the GA who told me up front that he was getting laid off in 3 days, and happily protected me on three separate itineraries, 36 hours out, in full Y). If elites can expect that kind of latitude, then I say ^.

That said... there's something of a zero-sum game here. With flights running so close to capacity, every seat that I get in IRROPS is a seat that somebody (probably with lower status, or somebody willing to pay for it) [i]doesn't[i] get. I suspect I'll like this change (whatever it is)... but I bet some group will get the short end.

sUA agents have a history and culture of serving the customer. I've found that most sUA agents will still break the rules to do the right thing. It's in their blood. But, the fresh new ones who barely have a driving license, and especially the sCO agents, have been brutal in their enforcement. It often seems like they enjoy saying no and exercising their power.

To the extent that expected behavior is dictated by a new policy and that new policy is better than existing policy, we should all be better off.

Originally Posted by cloudybw (Post 20027747)
1K/GS has always been allowed to get a hotel regardless of the reason, even before this new guideline. I was given one due to weather in June 2012.

If denied, ask the agent to search for "GG Amenity" in their system.

Curious: How does one get a hotel offer? I had a WX cancellation last year and was never offered a hotel. Since I am not, in fact, over-entitled, I actually didn't even think to ask for one. I just paid it myself.

Does it make a difference if the cancel happens before the airport? My cancel was the day before the flight, done by email.

emcsweeney Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by QBK (Post 20027728)
...Honestly, I haven't had a problem with this since the merger. With one understandable exception, I've been rebooked very generously (frequently in full Y) by both PMCO and PMUA agents -- both in IRROPS and in response to quotidian SDC requests...

I've also been rebooked into Y the few times I've had an issue...must be the new culture...