Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No UA Pacific weather advisory for LAS 20 Jan 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold

Hello,

UA has issued a pacific weather advisory for west coast airports. This however doesn't include LAS. AA and SW have issued similar advisories but they include LAS. I'm currently in LAS and am worried about getting out. Any advice on how to reason with UA?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Hello,

UA has issued a pacific weather advisory for west coast airports. This however doesn't include LAS. AA and SW have issued similar advisories but they include LAS. I'm currently in LAS and am worried about getting out. Any advice on how to reason with UA?
Your last sentence made me chuckle, but where are you going and when...?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

I see what you mean! I am currently in LAS heading to IAD on Friday (1/20) morning. My coworkers told me that AA and SW had sent them emails about possible rolling delays as LAS can't handle 2 days of rain.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
If you were headed to SFO or LAX, I'd be concerned, IAD, not so much. Your odds of that flight being OK are better than anything else you'll find in Vegas.

Currently, none of the nonstop flights are operated by aircraft inbound from the West Coast. Safe travels!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
If you were headed to SFO or LAX, I'd be concerned, IAD, not so much. Your odds of that flight being OK are better than anything else you'll find in Vegas.

Currently, none of the nonstop flights are operated by aircraft inbound from the West Coast. Safe travels!
It depends on where the IAD aircraft is coming from. If it's supposed to come from the west coast, and there are delays, the op could face problems.

OPS will be hard at work reassigning aircraft to minimize the impact.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by zrs70
It depends on where the IAD aircraft is coming from. If it's supposed to come from the west coast, and there are delays, the op could face problems.

OPS will be hard at work reassigning aircraft to minimize the impact.
Agree 100%!

Rain in LAS doesn't affect landings or departures, but high winds certainly do.

Planes arriving and departing from anywhere except the west coast should be O.K., but then I do recall a dust storm/mixed with light rain that curtailed visibility that did the trick a while back.

LAX & especially SFO have major issues with rain or fog and unless the OP's plane is coming from either place he "SHOULD" be alright. ^
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Good to know. Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I have a colleague currently in SEA... she is also flying back to IAD on Friday. She said they were getting 1/2" of rain today, with severe flood advisories. Pineapple express!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Rain in LAS doesn't affect landings or departures, but high winds certainly do.
Actually rain affects LAS acceptance rate more than winds. When the ceilings get below 5,000 ft, landing rates could be halved.

However, looking at the current forecast, the ceilings won't hit until 12 noon PST Friday.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Actually rain affects LAS acceptance rate more than winds. When the ceilings get below 5,000 ft, landing rates could be halved.

However, looking at the current forecast, the ceilings won't hit until 12 noon PST Friday.
Good to know---

Thanks! ^
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I spend my winters in LAS, their idea of "big rain" is more than .1 inch.....today, Thursday the rainfall in Summerlin was .01 inches. Friday could be wetter but it is not monsoon season. Most of the weather delays I have hit leaving LAS were related to the weather back east.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.