Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by jendrud70
I've been lurking for quite some time...after reading the 68 pages I now feel compelled to post. The complaining here is astounding given the fact that we haven't even seen how the boarding group change will actually impact us. I'm a Gold...I'm supposed to be angry now I guess. Maybe I'll wait and see what happens before I threaten to "take my business elsewhere!" Oh and where shall I do that? Delta? same thing. American? same thing...all lousy boarding with lice clogging up the entry. I was Delta Gold medallion a few years back with my previous company...since I've changed to United with my current company I really don't see a big difference. Some nicer lie flat on UA than Delta...some worse. Some better perks on Delta...some worse. Bottom line, we have 3 choices if we fly a mix of domestic and Intl destinations frequently. Relax...this mysterious credit card holder that's sending you into fits may or many not be in front of you. You won't know unless you're so shallow that you actually ask the person what their status is. Just get on board and order a drink...settle down.
welcome, Jendrud70! Your optimism is a breath of fresh air on this board and this thread in particular ^

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
What do you want her to say? She's not going to say "You folks are right! Policy rescinded and to make amends we are throwing out SHARES and going back to Apollo." She has engaged the board, addressed some questions and as the pitchfork brigade bang their chests on the board, what else is there for her to do? We should move into participating and reporting. This might be an improvement even if far from perfect.

/rant
Maybe they'll be like the sports team in Europe (I think) that lets the fans make the GM decisions...

Originally Posted by fahrradman
Frankly if this is something that gets one riled up, one really needs to do a sanity check.

It's a free market folks. Take your business elsewhere. But the endless rants grow tiresome. We all make choices (hopefully) on where we put out travel dollars. My travel patterns allow me to choose either AA or UA. I chose UA. Minor .... over boarding order priority, if that's so important to you just leave.

Seriously.
:-:
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
What do you want her to say? She's not going to say "You folks are right! Policy rescinded and to make amends we are throwing out SHARES and going back to Apollo." She has engaged the board, addressed some questions and as the pitchfork brigade bang their chests on the board, what else is there for her to do? We should move into participating and reporting. This might be an improvement even if far from perfect.

/rant
+1 What can s/he really say? It's probably been discussed by various UA executives and in committees and they likely anticipated there would be some negative reaction (although whether they thought there would be this much, I'm not sure). They also likely anticpated that the furor will quiet down after a week or two. And they're probalby right. Doesn't make it better for those of us (over entitled or less entitled) who've witnessed the constant whittling away of benefits. Although it would be great if s/he said they were thowing out SHARES
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:35 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by jendrud70
Yes...you got me. Jeff and I are tight. And he spends much of his day worried about FT. I'll let him know that you are on to him...any other requests for Jeff?

My only point in settle down is...the old process was brutal. They are trying something new. Until I get to try it...I won't threaten to take my business elsewhere. As I mentioned before, not many options anyways. If it works out good then we benefit...if not then UAL gets hurt and they'll be forced to change it.
From my POV (as a 1K), the old process is still the same with PPlats. I have several international trips planned and already dreaded with the old process (747/777 and hub to hub travel). This new one won't help from what I can see as it is pretty much the same group 1 but with even more people.

I will be vocal when I can in the hopes of fast change but if things don't get better, then I will def vote with my wallet and send all my business to AA.

Like I said early in this thread, observe what you see, try to be non-objective about it, and send feedback to UA (the good and the bad). It will hopefully help them better steer to their final solution! Just saying it doesn't work doesn't really help anyone here!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by edcho

Like I said early in this thread, observe what you see, try to be non-objective about it, and send feedback to UA (the good and the bad). It will hopefully help them better steer to their final solution! Just saying it doesn't work doesn't really help anyone here!
Good idea. I haven't flown this week, but starting Tuesday will be going through EWR, ORF, IAD, SFO and LAS (twice at two of them) and will try to note if there are any obvious changes - good or bad. Hopefully good.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by njcommodore
those three people, legacy UA execs, lead the departments that most people are complaining about (marketing, operations [boarding] and Mileage Plus). You're not the only one that has implied that this is a CO show, but in fact those three positions dictate a lot of the customer facing policies complained about here.
You conveniently leave out the fact that the recently departed Mark Bergslund, father of the "all elites are equal" philosophy, was pmCO. I don't think it is a coincidence that the meal policy in F/C, the boarding process changes, and the apparent IROPS changes not yet publicly announced have been instituted subsequent to Mr. Bergslund's departure.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:47 pm

Delta just gained a new customer
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Joe Moon
AA just gained a new customer...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by qvzn
Ah "entitlement", such a nice word. Go wait in the dole line with all the other tossers. It's prioritized by status! You're entitled to it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Funny - before the merger, we weren't bombarded with DBarrett's smarmy mug telling us "You're in" if you just get the credit card being hawked by Chase. United is pushing the "elite" concept far more broadly than pmCO did, which always makes me laugh when Rainey's "over-entitled" comment is repeated.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Of course, especially since every single gate in the system will have 5 lanes in a couple weeks, all GAs will go right from the script, and the "YOU'RE IN" advertising campaign will come to a screeching halt
Can I have one of the DBarrett posters???

Don't knock AA boarding til you've tried it - on my ~20 segments on AA last year, their process vs. UA is like night and day. F and top tier actually boards first. Wide lines are nice. No gate lice. No bottleneck in front of the lines.

There is a difference.
^ Exactly. Before UA moved out of the B pier at DCA, they shared gates with AA. You could sit there and watch the calm process at the AA gates, and post June 2011 at the UA gates, a CF - with both airlines using similarly sized equipment.

/rant
Concur. There is no need to be dumping on Shannon - she's just the messenger, folks.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Dunno what difference this will make since most UA flights these days are ERJs and CRJs. Keep down gauging and there will be no need for boarding process...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by halls120

Can I have one of the DBarrett posters???
Better yet have a stack of Halloween style DBarrett masks to hand out prior to boarding.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by airarchtx
AA just gained a new customer...
Originally Posted by Joe Moon
Delta and AA gained this new customer months ago. Where y'all been?!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Don't knock AA boarding til you've tried it - on my ~20 segments on AA last year, their process vs. UA is like night and day. F and top tier actually boards first. Wide lines are nice. No gate lice. No bottleneck in front of the lines.

There is a difference.
+1 I'm amazed at the night and day difference between the two.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Boarding time change?

Don't have the stamina to wade thru 69 pages of posts, but I did notice something today (1/11) that might be a change. "Official" boarding time for two segments (one at SEA, the other at SFO) was listed on the BPs as 35 min prior to departure ... apparently down from 45 min which, in turn, IIRC was up from 30 min premerger. Is this a new policy? Oh BTW, the actual boarding was just about as disorganized as before.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold
I just returned from a trip and as a premier gold for the last 4 or so years this is a slap in the face. On 2 of my 4 segments I was easily the 20-30th person on the plane, where normally it's 10-20 on a full domestic flight. Definite downgrade and sign that they don't value my business...
Lta
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by likestheaction
I just returned from a trip and as a premier gold for the last 4 or so years this is a slap in the face. On 2 of my 4 segments I was easily the 20-30th person on the plane, where normally it's 10-20 on a full domestic flight. Definite downgrade and sign that they don't value my business...
Lta
I think the only group feeling appreciated is the cardholders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.