Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
1K second class citizen

1k (note use of small k) is simply not what it used to be. This new boarding process that combines platinum with 1k confirms this. Many 1k fliers travel well in excess of 150k per year.

I agree with GS preboard, but why not 1k as well? Put platinum in group 1, but at least let loyal 1ks preboard.

With 50 pages of comments, mostly dissenting, on a board with lots of 1k fliers it seems my comments could be lost in the shuffle, but hope not.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:16 am

does anybody know what was going on at IAH E and C gates yesterday, they had cameras positioned at 3 different places around boarding lanes at several locations and saw some people working the cameras when the boarding was announced ....
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Boy am I glad I made Plat this year ... If I were still a Gold and had to fight in the same group with the Explorer card holders, I'd be furious.

Great upgrade for cardholders, big downgrade for Gold & Silver.

.. And I do relish that the 1K's have to deal with us Unclean Plats.
As a long time 1K, me no likey! Not a great way to recognize loyalty and it's been a diasaster at EWR. Miss pmUA.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tryathlete
1k (note use of small k) is simply not what it used to be. This new boarding process that combines platinum with 1k confirms this. Many 1k fliers travel well in excess of 150k per year.

I agree with GS preboard, but why not 1k as well? Put platinum in group 1, but at least let loyal 1ks preboard.

With 50 pages of comments, mostly dissenting, on a board with lots of 1k fliers it seems my comments could be lost in the shuffle, but hope not.
+1. Not sure why they still have 1ks. might as well streamline the process and the categories by combining the two. they already see us as being the same anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by divjan
does anybody know what was going on at IAH E and C gates yesterday, they had cameras positioned at 3 different places around boarding lanes at several locations and saw some people working the cameras when the boarding was announced ....
Sounds like something a process engineer would want to do to observe the boarding process and figure out ways for continuous improvement -- that, or Team TSA wanting to waste yet more money checking out passenger's stripped bodies? Of course there are some other possibilities beside that, both those are the first two that came to mind given this thread.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes. the one or two CC card holders without status will take up all the remaining bin space and there will be no room for gold and silver carry-ons, much less their bruised egos.
again with the "bruised egos" line?

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wxguy
At EWR, today, flight to BOS.

Agent calls for, "...Passengers with disabilities, military in uniform, and our GLOBAL SERVICES passengers through the Premier Access lane."

There were about five people queued in the lane, but it was wide enough for me to pass them easily without disruption (there were no disabled nor military). I presented my BP to the agent, and the conversation went like this:

wxguy: Hello.
agent: You're in Group 1. You should wait until your group is called.
wxguy: You called for Global Services. I'm Global Services.
agent: Your boarding pass doesn't say that, it says Group 1.
wxguy: Look at the itsy-bitsy-weenie-teenie "GS" here (pointing to it on the BP).
agent: Global Services BPs are supposed to have it in big letters.
wxguy: I just got this BP is Austin.
agent: Boston? This flight goes to Boston.
wxguy: AUSTIN, as in TEXAS. This is the BP the check-in agent gave me.
agent: [scans and grunts]

One of the things remembered most about 55K+ BIS recent miles on AA (EXP via status match) is pleasant boarding. On domestic flights, F boards first, usually my BP is scanned and the AAgent says "thanks for flying with us bucketlist".

Such a simple thing, an orderly and cordial boarding process. It doesn't cost anything, but it was one of many nice touches AA used to win me over. (well, 100 % domestic upgrades and several transpac itineraries, for 2 travelers had upgrades clearing on booking, or months or weeks before, on cheap tickets may have been factors...)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
they were filming the latest MP explorer card commercial.

now with boarding group 2, you're not just "in", you're "IN!"

just ask DBarrett, he was there from what i hear.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sounds like something a process engineer would want to do to observe the boarding process and figure out ways for continuous improvement -- that, or Team TSA wanting to waste yet more money checking out passenger's stripped bodies?
i was just wondering if it was something related to the boarding procedure improvements
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by bucketlist
One of the things remembered most about 55K+ BIS recent miles on AA (EXP via status match) is pleasant boarding. On domestic flights, F boards first, usually my BP is scanned and the AAgent says "thanks for flying with us bucketlist".

Such a simple thing, an orderly and cordial boarding process. It doesn't cost anything, but it was one of many nice touches AA used to win me over. (well, 100 % domestic upgrades and several transpac itineraries, for 2 travelers had upgrades clearing on booking, or months or weeks before, on cheap tickets may have been factors...)
Agreed about AA, my experience mirrors that. I had to laugh at my wanting to gate louse out of habit then realizing I had no need to. Only thing that didn't ring true for me out of COS/DEN were cheap fares and having to fly to DFW to get to PDX if I wanted a lower fare. The other nice touch you didn't mention is the wiffy!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Was in C yesterday and didn't notice the cameras, but did walk past gates with three parallel lanes set up and wondered how it was going to work. Looked like only the first lane had the blue carpet, which clearly says "Premier Access", so will credit card holders and people who buy PA use that lane? Is it the only lane that gets to bypass others when you arrive late?

I never did get to see the new boarding lanes in action because I flew out of B on UX. There was only one lane and everyone was called at once.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tryathlete
1k is simply not what it used to be. This new boarding process that combines platinum with 1k confirms this. Many 1k fliers travel well in excess of 150k per year.
As a 1K, I agree that the recognition isn't what it used to be.

As a process analyst (which I happen to be on occasion), I'd want to collect some data on the boarding process and then tweak as needed. UA knows how many elites it has on each flight, and this may be how they've decided to balance the loading of bodies & bags. A lot of Platinums fly in elite classes, so there may be a lot of overlap in this population anyway.

It's easy to gripe about the lack of specialness of 1K, but it's important to remember that Platinum is pretty special too. 75k BIS miles is a lot of miles -- and a lot of loyalty. If this boarding configuration works well enough, I think the Platinums should have this perquisite.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by mgs 1k
He was reading from a new script and clearly lost.
Don't airlines have staff meetings? You know, where a manager/supervisor gathers everyone together, goes over new procedures, makes sure everyone is up to speed, answers questions, etc. That's standard operating procedure in the rest of the business world.

Lately, between this and how the crew in First is left to their own devices as to how to implement meal selections, among other things, this airline is coming across more and more like "United, the confused and befuddled."

Surely, someone's KPI rating for process implementation must be low enough to be noticed by now.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ddrost1
they were filming the latest MP explorer card commercial.

now with boarding group 2, you're not just "in", you're "IN!"

just ask DBarrett, he was there from what i hear.
Yes. I was.

Please....no autographs.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by nycua1k
+1. Not sure why they still have 1ks. might as well streamline the process and the categories by combining the two. they already see us as being the same anyway.
There are two remaining benefits to 1k:

1. A 1k can fail to get upgraded with higher priority than anyone else, and
2. A 1k can get some GPUs and RPUs that won't clear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.