Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I have an idea

Pre-board, First Class, GS, special needs/military
Group 1 Elites, Business class
Group 2 CC holders E+ buy ups
remainder by rows starting in the back.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Credit card holders in Group 2? Honestly?

This is going to make gate lice 1000x worse as all the Group 1 pax (easily 1/4 to 1/2 the plane at IAD, for example) crowd the gate, afraid they will not be in line before the GA calls for every freaking elite on the plane plus credit card holders.

Big suggestion: At gates with the old lane layout, can we at least NOT board Group 2 via the blue carpet? Otherwise, this is a devaluation to 1K, GS, and Plat as they have to fight through the mob of everyone on the plane.

It's also a big devaluation to Gold pax.

Sigh. Why the heck can't UA realize that PMUA had a good, working boarding process? This is, what, the fifth or sixth official boarding procedure tried by COdbaUA?
Very, VERY well said! ^ When the hell is COdbaUA going to admit a lot of their crazy ideas/'business processes'(in quotes because they were so bad)/obsession with treating MP Visa cardholders better than people who actually but lots of PLANE TICKETS??!! Eat some humble pie!! CO was overrated at best and took over a much better (operationally) UA due to their better financials based on operating out of fortress hubs.

Besides, the more the COers admit UA had a lot of things right - and embrace those things, the easier the employee culture integration will be. There is a lot of bad blood from CO forcing its ways on the larger org due to this arrogant yet unjustified mentality that they knew everything and UA needed to be taught a lesson. Funny thing is a lot of this is basic business school fodder in M&A 101. Oy.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It really is all about D Barrett

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
And no announcement on United.com our the Hub site.
So chaos will even be bigger.
I study up on airport layouts for transfers, but I've never, ever, thought to use an airline's website so I could prepare myself for their boarding procedure.
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
They published it there ever since the merger. For good reason I guess.
Still there with the 7 group process
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
yet another reason not to fly 100K miles this year, when 75K gets you in the same boarding zone.
I always take a shower just before heading to the airport. Speaking for us Plats, I don't think we're that bad... it's those *Gs that are the issue. But that's been dealt with!

Originally Posted by exerda
Credit card holders in Group 2? Honestly?

... It's also a big devaluation to Gold pax.
Originally Posted by Phorever
The problem is that UA promised credit card holders priority boarding... So unless they creat another group (like group 4 previously) they are not making good on their promise. Just have 6 groups and make CC holders group 3.
I agree, *G is really getting the shaft here, and it really is all about keeping D Barrett happy on his vacations.

I don't get it. MP already has (by many accounts) the best program in the business. Why is it required that changes be made for the benefit of CC flyers to the detriment of the 50k BIS folk? If UA really thinks status should come from a credit card, they ought to milk it for all its worth and create plateaus of CC spending (not just on United) that give elite status. $1 million yearly CC spend? You sir are 1K. $250,000 annual spend? *G. $75,000 annual spend? *S.

This simply extrapolates the reasonable assumption that United makes a lot of money off the CC side of things, and why not create a program that attracts the best CC clients?

You may look at this as absurd, but tell me... why? How is it not a reasonable extrapolation?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jan 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm Reason: typos
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
I have an idea

Pre-board, First Class, GS, special needs/military
Group 1 Elites, Business class
Group 2 CC holders E+ buy ups
remainder by rows starting in the back.
So - the Continental process basically, adding in group 2? That didn't work so hot (lasting 15 days) when they tried to immediately switch to it post-merger.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm a Silver and I feel sorry for the Golds having to board with the credit card customers. Heck, I feel sorry for myself as a Presidential Plus card holder having to board with the Explorer card holders.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's kind of like they do some observational research on the problem, solicit consumer feedback on how to fix it - and then do the exact opposite of the learning. Mind boggling.
lol.... Hope they're at least doing it themselves instead of paying some retardedly expensive consulting firm to do it for them.... It is one thing to torpedo your own analysis vs. somebody you just paid $500K to... "how about I take you out back, kick you in the arse, and we'll call it even?!"
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
I echo many of these sentiments...why should a credit card allow one to board with a *G??? Just another devaluation. Does *A have any say in the matter? If anything, this process will just create more lice crowding the lines to snag bin space regardless of more lanes...lipstick on a pig. What was sooo wrong and terrible with the PMUA process arrrghhhhhh????
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold 2014 - Silver 2018
While most of the perks in *Gold has been downgraded, this Group 2 boarding being the latest, we still can take 3 bags of 70 lbs earch. I usually travel 7+ times to HNL with 1 checked bag of less than 40 lbs.

I think from now on I will take an additional 2 checked bags back and forth filled with 70 lbs of rocks to take advantage of one of the last remaining perks of *Gold. :-)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Why can't 1Ks board with GS? It's not like there are many GSes anymore. They're a dying breed.
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
lol.... Hope they're at least doing it themselves instead of paying some retardedly expensive consulting firm to do it for them.... It is one thing to torpedo your own analysis vs. somebody you just paid $500K to... "how about I take you out back, kick you in the arse, and we'll call it even?!"
aka the Big 4 Cash Cow
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, makes me wonder why I spent my $10K-$20K a year for the 10 years I was a 1K to fly my million miles on UA when I get treated no better than a credit card holder when boarding now that I don't fly as much and am only a Gold. This is ridiculous. Gold is absolutely becoming worthless and million mile is becoming totally worthless.

And I see UA Insider totally ignored all the posts showing Golds get the shaft in this. Gold + Silver + all the CC holders will make group 2 a complete zoo and will probably be well over half of almost every flight.

Thanks for nothing UA

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

More signs of 1K being watered down.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SCAFlyer
I think from now on I will take an additional 2 checked bags back and forth filled with 70 lbs of rocks to take advantage of one of the last remaining perks of *Gold. :-)
There's an idea

On a more serious note- I can't seem to find whether there are any other *A airlines who board *G and *S at the same time?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Having recently returned for Australia I found the boarding process on my 3 Qantas domestic flights to be quite fast and efficient. They allow one free checked bag so that cuts down on bin fighting. Each flight I was on had two gate agents. One for premium cabin and one for regular. All boarding was announced at once through the two lanes. Flew 737 and 767 and both planes took about same time to load. About 20 minutes.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA-gld HH-gld Marriot-gld Hertz-Pres Circle
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, makes me wonder why I spent my $10K-$20K a year for the 10 years I was a 1K to fly my million miles on UA when I get treated no better than a credit card holder when boarding now that I don't fly as much and am only a Gold. This is ridiculous. Gold is absolutely becoming worthless and million mile is becoming totally worthless.

And I see UA Insider totally ignored all the posts showing Golds get the shaft in this. Gold + Silver + all the CC holders will make group 2 a complete zoo and will probably be well over half of almost every flight.

Thanks for nothing UA
Completely ignored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.