Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I think the policy has been group 2 for a while, but in practice I've been getting group 1 as TK*G. It certainly doesn't make sense given that premier golds only gets group 2. Sure it's disappointing but looks like UA IT is finally catching up with the policy.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Wouldn't make sense for UA Gold to board in group 2 if *A Gold boarded in group 1 would it?
Sure it would. I mean UA Gold doesn't get lounge access in the US, while *A Gold does.

However, it doesn't make sense for *A Gold to get group 1 unless United is willing to upsell group 1, which for the moment they are not.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
this has been in place since they went to 5 groups. and also been a subject to frequent griping from gold members like myself because we fly up to 75k miles and board with CC holders with thousands of less PQD. hence why the group 2 line is generally around half of the plane on peak time business routes.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ftweb
Sure it would. I mean UA Gold doesn't get lounge access in the US, while *A Gold does.

However, it doesn't make sense for *A Gold to get group 1 unless United is willing to upsell group 1, which for the moment they are not.
Technically, that's correct. But I think there's a presumption that in that case the flier is most likely outside their home country. It's certainly a loophole though.

Putting some *G over other *G (earned on UA) for boarding doesn't make any sense at all. It doesn't cost the airline anything, while allowing all UA Golds to access UA clubs could be significant. If this has been happening, it's clearly an IT issue that has now been fixed.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Per a gate agent and my boarding passes, UA has downgraded *G members to group 2 boarding. Up until this week (including the outbound of my current trip), I had always gotten group 1. Another "friendly" change from UA 👎🏽
Welcome to my group. Maybe I'll see you in line someday
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I've been *G with A3, and I've ALWAYS had group 1.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by BThumme
In that case, they've fixed a glitch.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Policy has always been group 2, but apparently there was an IT bug that allowed group 1, which now is reported to be fixed.

Last edited by JBord; Jul 30, 2015 at 10:28 am Reason: Edit to reflect revised quoted post
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBord
Policy has always been group 2, but apparently there was an IT bug that allowed group 1, which now is reported to be fixed.
Good news. Now they just need to kick the credit card holders down a group.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
AC gives *G boarding group 2. Maybe an alignment. Or maybe what UA should have done from the get-go. Of course I think Plat should also be BG 2 but I know that won't be a popular idea among them

-RM
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
In that case, they've fixed a glitch.
Amen. Group 1 has been half to 1/4 of the plane lately.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I flew 120k miles with *A last year, just like the 1Ks. I guess it makes sense if UA Golds are group 2, but it just highlights how *A needs a third alliance tier
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I flew 120k miles with *A last year, just like the 1Ks. I guess it makes sense if UA Golds are group 2, but it just highlights how *A needs a third alliance tier
Well where is a distinction going to get made? You would have to add perks for new top tier (unlikely any other perks besides maybe G1 boarding) or devalue Gold and Silver even more into a lower tier.

Group 1 for top tier?
Group 2 for middle and lower?
Group 3 all else?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Good news. Now they just need to kick the credit card holders down a group.
I agree, on principle alone. In practice, it hasn't bothered me much. When I went from 1k to Gold on 2/1, my biggest worry was getting my bag in a bin. Even boarding at the end of some LONG group 2 lines, I haven't had a problem putting it within a row of my seat so far (fingers crossed, I'm sure others have had issues).

I do, however, hate waiting in lines .
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Having flown Alitalia recently on LAX-FCO-BCN-FCO-LAX, I found their boarding system to be relatively easy to work with:

#1: SkyTeam Elite+, Business Class
#2: SkyTeam Elite, Premium Economy
#3: All Other Passengers (by row numbers)

Which reminds me, so many other carriers do not use "zone boarding" and seem to have little hassle. Although, with AZ, their carry-on baggage limit is 8kg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.