Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jagster
Quick United boarding tip - An Apple Watch with your boarding pass seems to allow you to board in any group you wish.

1) It's common knowledge that the gate scanner only shows your seat and name, no group info

2) The watch only shows the QR code, all other details need to be scrolled to become visible

3) Gate agents and passengers are so mystified / enchanted by it that it removes any chance of "can I see which group your in".

I got my watch the first week it was out and four times now I've jumped into the Group 1 lane without issue. On my last trip yesterday some snooty business guy said "excuse me, can I see your boarding pass" (I guess he was self-appointed line police) but as soon as he saw the watch he started asking how I liked it and we chatted about my experiences.

If this continues there'll be no need for me to renew my United CC for premier access.
Let me congratulate you on demonstrating conclusively your character in your first post...
Old May 30, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
OK, so united fimed me over to American due to a maintenance issue -- first time I've been on American in 10+ years.

I really have to say (as a paid high-fare F, UA plat / no AA membership let alone status) from what I've seen at JAX and MIA today I like the way American does it better. Uniformed Military/First -- status -- groups.

Its also really weird being the only revenue passenger in the F cabin (25% full - everyone else was in uniform).

But maybe I'm in the grass is greener phase. Honestly I'm probably not going to shift my business based solely on today's issues but...
Old May 30, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagster
Quick United boarding tip - An Apple Watch with your boarding pass seems to allow you to board in any group you wish.

1) It's common knowledge that the gate scanner only shows your seat and name, no group info

2) The watch only shows the QR code, all other details need to be scrolled to become visible

3) Gate agents and passengers are so mystified / enchanted by it that it removes any chance of "can I see which group your in".

I got my watch the first week it was out and four times now I've jumped into the Group 1 lane without issue. On my last trip yesterday some snooty business guy said "excuse me, can I see your boarding pass" (I guess he was self-appointed line police) but as soon as he saw the watch he started asking how I liked it and we chatted about my experiences.

If this continues there'll be no need for me to renew my United CC for premier access.
False, the group is in the QR code and more and more scanners will beep if you try to board before your group is called. Seen many passengers sent packing to the back of their group line when they try to board before their group is called. The beep is similar to the one if you have an exit row seat.

And seems the"snooty" business guy caught you boarding when you shouldn't be. Real class because you have "the Watch"
Old May 30, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
Last night the GA in YYC did her own boarding process:
1. People that need extra time and families with small children
2. All confirmed passengers

Some seem not to be able to read simple instructions.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Baze
False, the group is in the QR code and more and more scanners will beep if you try to board before your group is called. Seen many passengers sent packing to the back of their group line when they try to board before their group is called. The beep is similar to the one if you have an exit row seat.
This.

I worked a gate at the United airport event at this February's AUS Mega Do (doing announcements and scanning BPs). Three times in a row, I forgot to click the "next boarding group" button on the computer interface and had the first person in the next group I paged beep a loud, annoying beep that required me to manually click "YES, OVERRIDE BOARDING GROUP" before continuing on with the boarding process.

It may not be everywhere yet, but if it's at AUS (an outstation), then it's surely coming soon to more and more places.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Last night the GA in YYC did her own boarding process:
1. People that need extra time and families with small children
2. All confirmed passengers

Some seem not to be able to read simple instructions.
She must have worked at LH!
Old May 30, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Let me congratulate you on demonstrating conclusively your character in your first post...
I have a feeling you're talking to a troll.
Either that or one of the most severe cases of Narcissistic Personality Disorder that I've ever encountered.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by Tall Paul
In my EXTREMELY unscientific study, I've found the automatic gates seem to cut down the clutter because people know that they won't let a person board in the wrong group. Group 1 was the lowest I've seen in years.
Agree 100%. The automatic gates don't feel bad about putting you in your place; that's why I like them. BOS is mostly automatic gates. Sometimes I'll board at the end of group 5 even if I'm in group 2 just so I can watch the boarding process. The best free entertainment United offers. People board with the wrong group, the red lights will flash, beeping will start, and they still try to force their way through a closed gate. And the exit row question on the screen always makes for some fun 😄 Now I'll have you know I do help out if someone seems super desperate (read: I'm not an awful person).

But the gates definitely keep people from crowding until their group is called.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Agree 100%. The automatic gates don't feel bad about putting you in your place; that's why I like them. BOS is mostly automatic gates. Sometimes I'll board at the end of group 5 even if I'm in group 2 just so I can watch the boarding process. The best free entertainment United offers. People board with the wrong group, the red lights will flash, beeping will start, and they still try to force their way through a closed gate. And the exit row question on the screen always makes for some fun 😄 Now I'll have you know I do help out if someone seems super desperate (read: I'm not an awful person).

How do the auto gates work with UA's policy of people in a group can all board with the lowest number in the group? I don't know, haven't had the pleasure of boarding at one of these kinds of gates yet.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Boarding a flight in DEN yesterday the GA called for "global service 1K members" during preboarding. I'm sure 1Ks would appreciate that and as a former 1K I understand. It was however a mess as 15 1Ks in the 40 pax-deep group 1 line decided this was their moment and pushed through.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
EWR-SJU woman walking down the aisle with G2 BP says "This is a benefit of having that card?" with a twinge of skepticism and distaste for having people ahead of bed in the aisle.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
How do the auto gates work with UA's policy of people in a group can all board with the lowest number in the group? I don't know, haven't had the pleasure of boarding at one of these kinds of gates yet.
I've only flown through BOS once or twice with the auto gates, but IIRC there's a manual "bypass" gate next to the podium and last time they made an announcement about groups getting assistance from the podium.

The exit row question was my only gripe about the gates -- seemed like I needed to press it 5 or 6 times before it registered my "yes" and opened the gate.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66

Flew out of BOS yesterday and I was amazed at how few people were cluttering up the gate area. Seems like without the line indicators that nobody knew where to stand.

Biggest annoyance however was once Group 1 was called, this huge tour group with dozens of kids surged to the front and started to board with Group 4 boarding passes. Rather than sending them to the back like she should have, the GA scanned all of them thru the side area then proceeded with Group 2. Ridiculous.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by mrswirl
Flew out of BOS yesterday and I was amazed at how few people were cluttering up the gate area. Seems like without the line indicators that nobody knew where to stand.

Biggest annoyance however was once Group 1 was called, this huge tour group with dozens of kids surged to the front and started to board with Group 4 boarding passes. Rather than sending them to the back like she should have, the GA scanned all of them thru the side area then proceeded with Group 2. Ridiculous.
The exact reason why people try to go ahead of their group!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:58 am

Can you verify what boarding group you will be in? I don't see way to do that. Does it show up when you check in online and print boarding passes? Is there a way to confirm your boarding group before check in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.