Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

At YUL today, the mention of "military" pre-boarding at two different gates did not happen. Only GS and those needing extra time.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Credit cards and STARSilvers get Group 2. Group 1 is made up of GS, F, C, 1K and STARGolds. Without knowing what route you're flying it's rather hard to comment otherwise. I suppose the upgrade list had 50+ names too.
Actually, *G isn't in group 1, though by *A rules they probably should be. The problem is that UA has a ton of *G pax...

Group 1 is F, C, GS, 1K, and Plat IIRC. Still can be incredibly excessive on some routes... I've shown up 45 minutes before boarding for SFO-IAD and already seen 50+ pax in the group 1 line.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yawn. This is news? OP must never have boarded a United flight ex-SFO before.
As 1K on an H fare, I was once #51 on the upgrade list to DC. It happens.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Since there seems to be confusion
We board all aircraft by boarding groups, which are numbered from 1 to 5. On your mobile or printed boarding pass, look for “Boarding Group” followed by the number of your group.
Customers who have requested physical assistance and those customers with disabilities are invited to board the aircraft first.

Pre-boarding comes next. This group includes Global ServicesSM members and uniformed military personnel.

After pre-boarding is complete, listen for your boarding group number to be called. To get an idea of what your group number will be, here’s the list for aircraft with two cabins — organized by Premier AccessSM member level.

Group 1 – Premier Access boarding
o Global ServicesSM (for those customers who didn't board during the pre-boarding announcement)
o Premier 1K®
o Premier® Platinum
o Premium cabins, including United First®

Note: On aircraft with three cabins, United Business® members board in this group. (Also, for three-cabin aircraft, on certain international routes, United First is referred to as United Global First® and United Business® is referred to as United BusinessFirst®.)

Group 2 – Premier Access boarding
o Premier® Gold
o Star Alliance™ Gold
o Premier® Silver
o MileagePlus® Club Card members
o Presidential PlusSM Card members
o MileagePlus® Explorer Card members
o MileagePlus® Awards Card members

Note: A Star Alliance Silver member who is also a MileagePlus Premier Silver member traveling on United is able to board in Group 2 with a companion, as part of the MileagePlus Premier Silver benefit. This benefit does not apply to travelers who are Star Alliance Silver members from another airline.

Groups 3, 4, 5 – General boarding

Tip: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Read more at https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
55 people in Group 1 boarding! Really!

Why shouldn't plats get group 1? They fly a ton and deserve the perk. There's simply more people traveling these days. Stop hating.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
55 in group one? Child's play. Try a 747 out of SFO. Now there's a Group 1!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
So I'm on a paid first class ticket and see all these people, when there are only
12 First class seats. Is this any way to run an airline? Because they have some status or a credit card??
We made a flanking maneuver to the crippled and crazy line and boarded first.
I abhor United.
And I abhor DYKWIA passengers.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
55 in group one? Child's play. Try a 747 out of SFO. Now there's a Group 1!

ORD-NRT on a 747. Got a very sore thumb because
I used a counting app on my phone. Here are the
results.

Disabled/elderly: 3
GS: 23
Group 1: 72
Group 2: 157

I boarded with Group 2. My boarding pass said Groupo 5, but the GA
accepted my Star Alliance Gold card from a foreign airline.(had no
UA status when I boarded)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by fgirard
Reminds me of IAH-SNA were there was close to 80-90 (I counted at least 80 before I lost count) people in the Group 1 lane, with an additional 50-60 (comparing the length of the line with Group 1) people in Group 2. And this was only an A320.
I've been n EWR-SFO flights where all pax but 4 or 5 were elite.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
At YUL today, the mention of "military" pre-boarding at two different gates did not happen. Only GS and those needing extra time.
Probably only do the military thing departing US airports.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Same on DCA-IAH where the GA boarded non-status passengers first as there was only a handful. The DYKWIA was very strong on that day.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've been on those flights were I just decide to board in group 5. Get a whole line to myself!! Works great when you don't need overhead space.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:32 pm

Flew LAX-IAD today, overhead space filled up during group 2 boarding. I was in the middle of group 2 and had to gate check my bag. Fun times.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
And I abhor DYKWIA passengers.
Let me defend him and venture that he's not a DYK, especially just because he's a first class passenger.

A recent experience on DL from SFO-DTW (I was in paid F) made me think about this. OK, DL has the only 4 non-stops SFO-DTW. Major reason I take one. DL had a chaotic boarding process (not unthinkable) and did their thing on calling the priority classes to board (disabled, followed by military).

The flight was running way late and was a 757, using, like they all do, door number 2---with the 1st class pax entering by the same door, but taking a left turn to their seats.

What happened was the disabled pax (wheelchairs and other stuff) was so backed up that, even though they left a buffer of time between the disabled and the F group, the line backed up for nearly 15 min out the ramp. I was one of the F pax.

My venture is that if they simply got the left-turning F pax on first (who normally board efficiently, I will argue) that would be about 24 pax who could have gotten on expeditiously. Granted, there can be a F-pax who is a wheel chair case or in need of help.

I think this is a preferred priority for a 757 flight, using door 2. For flights where everybody goes through the forward door 1, it probably makes no difference. It's not slighting the disabled or military, I think it is in the interest of efficiency.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FullFare
Let me defend him and venture that he's not a DYK, especially just because he's a first class passenger.
Let me disagree with you and suggest that the OP's comment was not written in the interest of advocating boarding efficiency, but in the interest of getting himself on first because he was paid F, ahead of those with "status or a credit card" and the {other pre-boarders}

I agree in principle that being in F doesn't automatically equate to being over-entitled or having a "do you know who i am?" attitude.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:42 pm Reason: deleted "quote" from a deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.