Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

So they're going to board all of GF, BF, 1K, Plat on an intl 747 at the same time?

What are they thinking?

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by colpuck
I have an idea

Pre-board, First Class, GS, special needs/military
Group 1 Elites, Business class
Group 2 CC holders E+ buy ups
remainder by rows starting in the back.
Again, this is far preferable to the newly proposed process. In fact, just about anything is better than the newly proposed process.
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I can totaly understand the desire to standardise on something...
but trying to have the same policy for a 747-400 and a EB120 DONT WORK

Also... to confirm.... "remium Bypass Lanes"
means that a 1k can walk up anytime after group 1 is called and walk over to a seperate lane and bypass anyone in groups 3-5?
Do this all the time. Sometimes I have to wait for them to finish boarding a passanger, but the GA will pro actively stop the next in line to allow me to scan my BP ^

And gotta agree with loading the "heavies" v crop dusters

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Actually, I had MUCH better luck with this on pmCO than pmUA. As a pmCO Gold, I had no trouble walking up to the EliteAccess carpet and bypassing the general boarding if I were 'late' to the gate.
NEVER a problem with CO, but honestly don't recall having a problem with UA either.

EmailKid
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As is typical now, the marketing of priority boarding benefits to Star Gold customers is becoming increasingly deceptive. UA Million Milers and Star Alliance Golds being in the same boarding group as a UA credit card holder on their fourth UA flight in a decade?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I agree with this. The problem with the existing system was not that people could not could to 7 but of enforcement. The order below makes sense. Having fewer groups just creates horrendous scrums around gates at hubs.

The new idea from UA does not make sense.

Originally Posted by ironic23
Think we need the following boarding process:

Pre-boarding - military/veterans, family with kids under 2 years old & people with disabilities/those who need extra time to board

Group 1 - GS & GlobalFirst

Group 2 - 1K & BusinessFirst

Group 3 - Platinum & Gold

Group 4 - Silver, Credit Card Holders & E+

Group 5 to 7 - General Boarding

This needs to be enforced strictly like what they do in PEK.

GlobalFirst seems to lose its "exclusivity" because of having to board with the rest of Group 1 which in PEK on UA850, probably spans at least 50 people.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
picked a bad year to only hit Gold. oy vey.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
UA's strategy is clearly to build the largest network globally, which makes elites less important. I fly UA precisely because of that reason, the coverage of their network. I think the very fact we are having this discussion reflects, however, UA's been quick to promise a lot of things to a lot of different classes of people in what they deliver in creature comforts but slow to deal with the conflicting implications of what they've promised everyone operationally. That's why there's these design by committee approaches about something as basic as lining up to get on an airplane.

I'm not hard to please, I just don't want an airline giving people false feelings of entitlement which ends up in them being rude to me. That's engineering misery into the system.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Originally Posted by goalie
While I do like the change, to play devil's advocate....

Why/what prompted the change from PMUA's boarding process (which worked) in the first place and I know red is not a COdbaUA color but to be perfectly honest, a red carpet "means more in terms of status" and also stands out a whole lot more than the way a powder blue carpet does now.
UA gets money for from the masses that buy the credit card that offers premium boarding.
That's all fine and dandy but imho, "the credit card folks" should board after those who paid money to fly and earned their status "the hard way" (sorry, but COdbaUA bit off way more than they could chew and are (imho) yet again paying the price in realizing they screwed up by putting "whatever we can sell" in front of loyalty )

Originally Posted by Phorever;19998090[B
]The problem is that UA promised[/B] credit card holders priority boarding... So unless they creat another group (like group 4 previously) they are not making good on their promise. Just have 6 groups and make CC holders group 3.
Bolding mine:. Yeah, right-PMUA Million Mile fliers were "promised" 2CR1's and Premier Executive status for life as well but you know how that "promised" worked out
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Just wait a couple months for the next version

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
They published it there ever since the merger. For good reason I guess.
Still there with the 7 group process
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
picked a bad year to only hit Gold. oy vey.
Based on how often the boarding procedure has been changed, saying it's a bad "year" to hit gold, when during that year the boarding process is likely to change another 3 or 4 times...

Originally Posted by UA Insider
[...]Thank you for your patience – and especially your feedback – as we work to make our boarding process better.
Just wanted to add my voice as another Gold disappointed to be lumped in with CC holders

I can't believe this thread was started just a few hours ago, and already 6 pages of messages about it? I can't read all this.

All I want to say is that I was PERFECTLY HAPPY with how this was done during the 10 year period before we heard "Smisek" as a name.

10 years. Fine. No problem. No complaints. Then Smisek. Then, nothing but problems.

Why can't we just stop this crap and go back to the way things used to be?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I have noticed some, probably not frequent flyers do not pay attention to the boarding process and try and board early. I noticed on my last flight a couple had boarding group 6 and was approcahing to board with group 3 and the agent did not tell them to wait till their group is called. I think on especaiily full flights some agents just do not care, get the people on the plane and they do not want to be bothered with policing this.
but, you also have those who use their phones that agents do not look at, as they are not to touch the persons phone. Therefore, someone who has boarding group 7, uses their iPhone to board, could board as the agent would never see what their boarding group is.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA MM
Wow count this former 1P MM flyer not happy! First they made me "gold". Then in the process they took away half my bonus miles. And now they say I can board "early" with the CC holders? I've got to re-think that C-class TATL I'm about to book.

The only problem with the existing boarding procedure was sketchy enforcement.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
If I was a full F intl passenger & was made to wait in line behind 20-50 others that would be the last UA would see of me. You don't treat full F (GF) passengers this way. EVERY other airline in the world treats these rare customers like Gold. The price of a r/t tkt in GF From SYDNEY-JFK is over 4 times what some 1K's spend all year.

I hope for UA's sake they re think this and board GF w GS during special pre boarding.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:10 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
It would just be better if the gate agents would actually enforce the boarding groups. Too many times you have leisure travelers standing like they're in line when they're group 3+. As a consistent 1k/BusinessFirst flyer, I'd rather not put up with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.