Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by halls120
...Credit cards and "all elites are equal" are 2 of the primary reasons boarding is a mess.
You got that right ^ (and the same can be said for elite security lines but that's for another thread )
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by airarchtx

There is no longer any benefit to being a 1K member. It is a travesty that you have to be a GS in order to get any kind of special treatment. I guess 100K+ miles doesn't mean anything to $misek. Looks like I am going to take a status match with AA. Speaking with my $$$.
-
Watch one of Smisek's frequent news interviews. He has repeatedly made it clear that loyalty is not a major part of his business model for UA. Your loyalty for UA in the past is gone and the money you spent with UA is also gone, along with many of the promised lifetime benefits.

Don't forget what UA's CFO Rainey told an investment group last year concerning elites - we are "over entitled." This type of thinking confirms the new UA management's disdain for elites who are foolish enough to believe that lifetime promises made in the past are binding on the new UA.

This new boarding procedure is just another poor decision (in a series of poor decisions) that is aimed to teach "over entitled" elites that their loyalty has no value to the new UA.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jan 11, 2013 at 2:09 am Reason: spelling & change wording
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by vnatraj
Agreed. In general, if *any* group is too large (and this can be determined based by prior experience I suppose), it should be split. Possibly the fairest system is (with pre-boarding exceptions for GS, military, disabled, families with infants, etc.) to have a sequential numbering system that some have suggested purely based on the PQMs from the previous year. This can easily be automated.
By status and THEN by PQMs from the prior year. If someone makes 1K by June, they should have immediate boarding priority over the other levels.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Even as a UA 1K, I agree. I know how difficult it is to deal with car seats, etc., a little extra time goes a long way on helping a family settle in and keep the stress level low, which benefits everyone. Now that my kids are older its no big deal, but as a frequent flyer travel with my family was a challenge, I can only imagine how it is for the once a year family.
No, no. no to this. It was abused and there wasn't much a GA could do when a family of 3 teens and a 10 year old decided to preboard. Happened all the time--especially here in Florida.

So you are saying that a mom with a 6-month old infant should not be allowed to pre board just because others have abused the privilege?
Yes.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2013 at 8:33 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by fivevsone
On SEA-SFO tonight. A319 63 premier members based on list and upgrades. Group one was about ~30 but it appeared smooth. everyone quickly stowing bags and etc.

On the SFO-IAD redeye. 752. It is also a premier-fest something like 70 total premier. Will see how it goes. It is not at one of the newly organized gates.
GA kept line clear. Called GSs then waited. Called Group 1 And we queued up. a Group 4 pass ahead of me was denied boarding and when he protested and was slow to move the GA told him to move away with a fierce tone of no nonsense.

Watching the delay for group 2 boarding I seems like they are waiting for the jet way to clear before calling group 2.

With 24 F seats and 62 additioal premiers on list I am surprised how smoothly it's running.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In that situation let the mom and infant pre board and ask the rest to board with their boarding group.
No. It will be abused.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Watch one of Smisek's frequent news interviews. He has repeatedly made it clear that loyaly is not a major part of his business model for UA. Your loyalty for UA in the past is gone and the money you spent with UA is also gone.

Don't forget what UA's CFO Rainey told an investment group last year concerning elites - we are "over entitled. This type of thinking confirms the new UA management's disdain for elites who dare to think that promises made in the past are binding on the new UA.

This new boarding procedure is just another poor decision (in a series of poor decisions) that is aimed to teach "over entitled" elites that their loyalty has no value to the new UA.
-
I wonder if those IT outages were in Smisek's business plan. I bet they weren't but they happened. A company that fails on customer service is not going to be a sustainable concern. When other companies pull ahead, as evidenced in areas such as on-time arrival rate, the profitability of UA will suffer, along with its reputation.

I am tied of saying this but CO management is second rate.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
United 944 ORD - FRA gata 10 on Act. 10th

No call for Global Services

Agented called Group 1 and 2 at the same time, instead of 1 and later group 2.

This is really a chaos.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So what is the boarding process going to be for elites whose boarding pass is marked with boarding groups 3-5? Will they be allowed to board with Groups 1 or 2 upon showing their loyalty program card with elite status indicated on it that are, according to UAInsider, to be boarded under Group 2 or, less likely, Group 1?

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Originally Posted by JesterJarett
Here's a picture I snapped of the new boarding process in SFO:
Ultimate gate louse. In line long before anybody else, too many bags and things, blocking the entire lane, but too afraid to step on carpet.
He is standing on the carpet. He looks like an FTer who routinely posts to indicate that UA can do no wrong, which is why he's standing there. UA allowed it, so it is ok -- so he could claim.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Reward Gold Elite
Flew EWR - DEL on 1/7

It was a mess, people all around the gate. Agents followed process and tried there best but people are just awful at leeching at the gate. I feel really sorry for the agents because whatever they do its a cluster. The amount of Economy people trying to board was a joke. I know language can be a problem but i believe people abuse this and just pretend they do not know and try to get on.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RammiXP10
Flew EWR - DEL on 1/7
Would that route ordinarily be amongst one of those with the highest non-elite to UA credit card holder on reservation ratios in the UA network. Most anyone taking that trip twice a year on a regular paid ticket should be at least UA Silver or the near-equivalent. But most of the back of that flying bus seems to consist of once a year passenger on that route.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: BMI Silver
I think families with small kids (< 5 years old) should be allowed to pre-board.
Here, here

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Even as a UA 1K, I agree. I know how difficult it is to deal with car seats, etc., a little extra time goes a long way on helping a family settle in and keep the stress level low, which benefits everyone. Now that my kids are older its no big deal, but as a frequent flyer travel with my family was a challenge, I can only imagine how it is for the once a year family.
Exactly. Even as a frequent traveller it is always stressful and takes more time with small children.. I aim to reduce stress. That is why we always use the E+ when we can use a bassinet. More room and no way little legs can possibiy reach the seat in front. With organisation, my systems and a bit more time everyone's lives is easier. With the bassinet position it is essential I have somewhere to store the nappy bag.
Originally Posted by aacharya
Sure. Then what about that same mom who then brings two parents a Fifteen year old nephew and four carryons with them.
That is up to GA to send them to the back of the queue like they would anyone trying to board before their time. It it is not rocket science.
In that situation let the mom and infant pre board and ask the rest to board with their boarding group.

Edit: that was a reply to aacharya's post. Sorry first time using the iPhone app.
Yes, if I am travelling with my husband ( even though more often than not it is me on my own with the children) I would be happy if just one of us could preboard with the the little ones and other one comes on later.

Originally Posted by TomA
No, no. no to this. It was abused and there wasn't much a GA could do when a family of 3 teens and a 10 year old decided to preboard. Happened all the time--especially here in Florida.
Yes, there was tell them to get to the back of the queue.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: UAGLD, HH SILV, IHG PLAT, NAT.EXEC Elite,
Boarding Process Changes, Starting Jan. 8-9th, 2013

Boarde today out of MDT on a 319 and they called pre board and group 1 at the same time.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by tooltrash
Boarde today out of MDT on a 319 and they called pre board and group 1 at the same time.
Hah, I'm pretty sure we're on the same flight.

Anyway, the flight isn't full so I doubt this is a true test of the new process. I'm waiting to see what happens at ORD.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Watch one of Smisek's frequent news interviews. He has repeatedly made it clear that loyalty is not a major part of his business model for UA. Your loyalty for UA in the past is gone and the money you spent with UA is also gone, along with many of the promised lifetime benefits.

Don't forget what UA's CFO Rainey told an investment group last year concerning elites - we are "over entitled." This type of thinking confirms the new UA management's disdain for elites who are foolish enough to believe that lifetime promises made in the past are binding on the new UA.

-
Agree with above 100% good posts ^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:15 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
are the group numbers enforced by the scanners? no right?

what I mean is, if someone who is in Group 2 goes with Group 1, will the scanner beep at them or something?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.