Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Sub CO boards all 737s 35 minutes prior to departure
Sub UA boards all 739ERs 45 minutes prior to departure.

When Sub CO FAs are checking in for a trip at a layover city they board the aircraft 45 minutes prior to departure; passenger boarding is at 35 minutes prior. Sub UA FAs checking for a trip at a layover city board the aircraft 55 minutes prior to departure; passenger boarding is 45 minutes prior

sub CO:
757/764/787/777:
FA check-in 1:15 prior to departure at base cities; 1:00 at layover points
On board aircraft 1:00 prior to departure
Passenger boarding: 50 minutes prior to departure
737:
FA check-in 1:00 prior to departure at base cities; :45 at layover points
Passenger boarding: 35 minutes prior to departure
I was looking for this thread to post my experience of having two flights last week board 45 minutes ahead and then today's 35 minutes ahead - but some others had already asked. Thanks for this detailed answer and info! I'm glad to know there is some logic behind this. I'll be even more glad when it all eventually comes together and is one consistent practice.

JK-SFO
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This remains a myth. Bags themselves do not slow down the boarding process, nor do people board with these "giant size" bags everyone complains about.

The difference is knowledge and preparation...in other countries I see passengers board in the right order, move quickly, stow their bags quickly, stay out of the way and sit down immediately. The flow of passengers is much smoother and cabin crews are there to keep things moving.

In the USA, even with the busiest aviation industry in the world, I can't count the number of people I see boarding with a completely bewildered look, clueless about where to go, what to do, where their seat is, where their bags goes and they stand in the aisles like deer caught in the headlights holding up the flow and backing other passengers out into the jetway.
About half of flyers at most major airports fly fewer than three times per year. That being said, over the past few years I've found that the bewildered amateurs are much less obnoxious than the "seasoned travelers" who can't be bothered to get out of the aisle efficiently.

As for the bag speed issue, it is possible for a person with bags to board much faster than a clueless person without bags. That being said, on average the boarding speed of those without carry-ons is faster. There's a great journal article on this topic - Tang et al., "An aircraft boarding model accounting for passengers' individual properties," doi:10.1016/j.trc.2011.11.005.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
PL on Group?

Random question that I can't find an answer for anywhere:

Had a friend flying HNL-ORD who had 'PL' listed as her boarding group and was allowed to board before group 1 but after GS.

Does anyone know what PL is for? She's a platinum with the united explorer card if that makes any difference.

TIA
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cshel

Had a friend flying HNL-ORD who had 'PL' listed as her boarding group and was allowed to board before group 1 but after GS.

Does anyone know what PL is for? She's a platinum with the united explorer card if that makes any difference.

TIA
PL = Platinum? They've been testing a new boarding procedure at ORD and someone posted a BP with the BG labeled "1K". Strange to see the change ex-HNL though.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cshel

TIA
Pretty sure she boarded out of turn, but GA let her go.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Pretty sure she boarded out of turn, but GA let her go.
My thoughts as well.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: AA Plat
Saw this great sign on all the podiums at ORD a few weeks ago. Hopefully it's combatting gate lice!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Saw this great sign on all the podiums at ORD a few weeks ago. Hopefully it's combatting gate lice!

IMHO - Dumb sign. What is the purpose of boarding lanes if not to wait in them? If you wait until your group is called, then only a single lane is needed. And who cares if people stand in their appropriate corrals? Maybe people who want to board first but are too lazy to stand up and wait.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Sexykitten your photo isn't displaying...on Chrome or Safari.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week flying MCO-IAH after pre boarding GS/disabilities etc, GA called 1st class and group 1 passengers to board.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by 110pgl
IMHO - Dumb sign. What is the purpose of boarding lanes if not to wait in them? If you wait until your group is called, then only a single lane is needed. And who cares if people stand in their appropriate corrals? Maybe people who want to board first but are too lazy to stand up and wait.
Agree - the corrals have just encouraged standing. Get rid of them and get rid of the problem. Seems like they could do like Southwest and have one lane so people can't line up until called. Scary to think that United needs to learn tricks from Southwest.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by TomMM
Last week flying MCO-IAH after pre boarding GS/disabilities etc, GA called 1st class and group 1 passengers to board.
Isn't that how it is supposed to be? All FC pax are in Group 1 by definition.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
Isn't that how it is supposed to be? All FC pax are in Group 1 by definition.

Yesssss but I've never heard UA make a boarding announcement like that before.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by TomMM
Yesssss but I've never heard UA make a boarding announcement like that before.
I think I heard it just yesterday EWR-BOS. But I was half-way down the jetway as it was announced...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:28 pm

I haven't seen boarding process drama in awhile but it was pretty bad at MBJ ....

Group 2 people were clogging up the premier access lane (as there wasn't any space to begin with). Group 1 then just bum rushed into the Group 3-5 lane as they couldn't get around Group 2-- this was before boarding started. When they started pre-boarding, Group 3-5 people surged to the gate and ran over an old wheel chair lady. The eyes on her face grew as she saw the wall of people coming towards her. Then people just started yelling at each other and no one could hear anything (even the announcements).

I just stood back in horror. By the time I boarded, the FA asked me what happened because people look like they came from war as they were boarding. This new boarding procedure can't come soon enough!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.