Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Wow!

Who isnt getting priority boarding?

UA needs to adapt the most common *A boarding policies. *G and above get priority boarding, as well as premium cabins. Nothing for silvers, uniformed or casual dress military (don't worry, Uncle Sam will still pay for their tickets), or anyone with a semi decent FICO score.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by gglave
Can't believe the carry-on that guy in the burgundy shirt has. Brings a whole new meaning to 'and one personal item.'
Burgundy Shirt appears to have a 20-22" rollaboard with a backpack sitting on top. Technically within the rules if the backpack fits beneath the seat in front of him.

UAInsider/Shannon - you appear to have analyzed the problem, determined the optimum solution, and then done the exact opposite.

I'm a long-term BIS Silver coming from the sCO side. Even before the merger, I could tell you that the old CO system, with a single elite call, didn't work, especially at hubs. The 7-group boarding process largely addresses this issue, but fails due to lack of enforcement by gate agents and misleading marketing to credit card holders. Compressing the process down to 5 steps by combining Golds, *G, Silvers and credit card holders is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Even though I'm a Silver, I don't see any value in moving from Group 3 to Group 2. For one thing, it marks the return of the near-rugby-scrum conditions that were present boarding CO aircraft pre-merger. Even though I'm not boarding one group earlier, I'm not necessarily going to board any faster because the sheer number of people trying to board at the same time will double/triple. For another thing, it devalues the Gold & Silver elite statuses while simultaneously [artificially] inflating the importance of the Chase UA-branded credit cards. Why should I show any loyalty to UA when I can pay for the Explorer card and get almost exactly the same benefits? I think the only difference between a Silver & an Explorer card holder at this point is the ability to move to E+ at checkin...

I'm not as invested in the pmUA boarding process as some others here (for one thing, I don't see any value in banishing Silvers from the bypass lane), but ANYTHING is better than the solution you've detailed here. As I said in both the 2012 and 2013 boarding process threads, there's nothing about the current boarding process that education & enforcement wouldn't fix.

For that matter, from where I sit, there's only one group that stands to see any benefit from this change - the gate agents, since now they'll have fewer rules to enforce.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by username
I have seen some of the test gates in ORD and CLE. I wonder how this can be implemented throughout the system - it gets tight. Maybe it also serves as a barrier for people with big bags

I think the reduction of the groups is really to prepare for the lanes. Otherwise, there is no cost to have additional groups to keep your elite customers happy (or less unhappy).
I thought the same thing and agree.

Originally Posted by username
I guess once the lanes are in place, a lot of the people from the later groups will line up instead of blocking access for the people in the early groups. So, maybe things will be better on that front.
I observed this when watching the newest procedure in action.

Originally Posted by jacroweORD
the thing about the golds being screwed is that most fly almost all domestically to get to 50k...i know i get to 1k all domestically as well...that is a HELL of a lot of waiting at gates and in lines. status is something i always thought just eased my day a bit, day in and day out...made it a bit more comfortable.
Not too many of us domestic 1Ks around here. At least it feels like there used to be more.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
[QUOTE=rehoult;19998714]UA Insider - I hope you guys get taken to task by *A. Alliance rules clearly state *G get boarding with First & Business class and should therefore be group 1.
[QUOTE]

You conveniently ignore the small print associated with the *Gold boarding privilege at the Star Alliance website that says "Where Available". Go back and look at it. It's there. Really. There are actually quite a few Star Alliance airlines that have chose NOT to make that privilege available (ie allowing *Gold to board with First and Business). UA will not "get taken to task".
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Sounds like another change I am "supposed" to like. Why reach for 1k instead of Plat? (since the GPUs are basically useless).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
[QUOTE=IAH-OIL-TRASH;19999408][QUOTE=rehoult;19998714]UA Insider - I hope you guys get taken to task by *A. Alliance rules clearly state *G get boarding with First & Business class and should therefore be group 1.

You conveniently ignore the small print associated with the *Gold boarding privilege at the Star Alliance website that says "Where Available". Go back and look at it. It's there. Really. There are actually quite a few Star Alliance airlines that have chose NOT to make that privilege available (ie allowing *Gold to board with First and Business). UA will not "get taken to task".
I'm all for *G getting priority boarding, but does anyone in *A besides UA and US offer any priority to Silvers?

Premier Access grants *S priority check-in, security, and boarding. Take a UA *S over to SQ and see what they offer. It's known as diddly squat.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"I've got a credit card, I'm elite."

Thank goodness for 1K. Looks like gold and silver have bus tire tread marks on them again. Lots of incentive there.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
"I've got a credit card, I'm elite."

Thank goodness for 1K. Looks like gold and silver have bus tire tread marks on them again. Lots of incentive there.
So when do us Club card 1k's start getting to board before all the onther 1k's?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by higgsjoa
Sounds like another change I am "supposed" to like. Why reach for 1k instead of Plat? (since the GPUs are basically useless).
You can use the GPUs as RPUs. They're not useless.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Dear COdbaUA:

Did you ever think of visual aids like bringing back gold and blue boarding passes? Yes, it would not make His Royal and Exulted Highness King Jeffie The First happy as spending money under the new world order on something that has been proven to work is a dirty set if words but think about it. Gold BP's and a red carpet, Blue BP's and a blue carpet and white BP's and no carpet might help enforce the boarding order and make the gate agents' jobs a but easier. I dunno-Maybe it's me but in my fading memory, I seem to recall something like this being used by a real airline.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ironic23
Think we need the following boarding process:

Pre-boarding - military/veterans, family with kids under 2 years old & people with disabilities/those who need extra time to board

Group 1 - GS & GlobalFirst

Group 2 - 1K & BusinessFirst

Group 3 - Platinum & Gold

Group 4 - Silver, Credit Card Holders & E+

Group 5 to 7 - General Boarding

This needs to be enforced strictly like what they do in PEK.

GlobalFirst seems to lose its "exclusivity" because of having to board with the rest of Group 1 which in PEK on UA850, probably spans at least 50 people.
Let me amend this slightly - but Shannon, while we all appreciate your willingness to let us know in advance about product changes, I hope our feedback will be taken as well. I understand the preboard benefit is a marketing feature of the various credit cards and is off the table for downgrading this benefit, but I am in full agreement that placing non status credit card holders in the same queue as Golds and Silvers is neither workable or fair to your Elite customers. I hope our feedback will drive some additional change to polish up this process.

Here is the boarding process I think will work best:

1. manual boarding of wheelchairs and mobile elderly, handicap, special needs, unaccompanied minors
2. Group 1 - Premium cabins and GS/1K seated in coach through Premier Access lane
3. Group 2 - Platinum, Gold, and Star Gold through Premier Access lane
4. Group 3 - United credit card holders through general boarding lane, Silver through Premier Access lane (with priority ticket lift from agent) with announced reminder that late arriving Premier Access customers can board through Premier Access lane. In practical application, this means credit card holders are told to queue in the general boarding lane (or Group 3 Lane where installed) while Silvers are directed to the Premier Access lane so they can board ahead of credit card holders, who would then board ahead of the group 4-6 folks
5. Group 4, 5, 6 - General boarding through general boarding lane, announced reminder that late arriving Premier Access customers can board through Premier Access lane

The Premier Access lane should remain open for eligible passengers throughout boarding and agents should know to stop the general lane ticket lift and attend to eligible customers in the PA when they arrive - and be prepared to send non-eligible customers out of that lane.

One of the big issues I see (still, after all these long years since Continental invented the premium boarding lane concept) is agents not enforcing the lane and allowing everyone to queue in the PA lane, sometimes because of disinterest and sometimes because of poor placement of the BP scanner which results in people naturally lining up in the wrong lane and the agent is unwilling to stop boarding and move people to the correct lane. Any new process should be accompanied by renewed enforcement vigor from agents otherwise all we have is expensive new signage, complicated new procedures and the same problems we have today.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
If I was a full F intl passenger & was made to wait in line behind 20-50 others that would be the last UA would see of me. You don't treat full F (GF) passengers this way. EVERY other airline in the world treats these rare customers like Gold. The price of a r/t tkt in GF From SYDNEY-JFK is over 4 times what some 1K's spend all year.

I hope for UA's sake they re think this and board GF w GS during special pre boarding.
Full F passengers on UA? Extinct. They don't have to worry about something that basically doesn't exist, and its service and hard product that's keeping them away, not boarding.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
...Did you ever think of visual aids like bringing back gold and blue boarding passes? ....
hard to implement in the world of self printed BP and smart phone BPs
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
-

Not too many of us domestic 1Ks around here. At least it feels like there used to be more.
-
Remember what happened last April when AA offered a status match to 1Ks? Clearly, many 1Ks took the offer and are very happy with AA. You won't be seeing them flying UA any time soon.

I suspect the April 2012, AA status match is one reason why you do not see as many 1Ks as you used to see.

UA management's newest insult to elites (combining and boarding credit card holders with those who actually paid money to fly and earn elite status) is mind boggling and a further insult to loyal customers.

I won't be surprised if AA gets wind of this new "slap in the face to 1K and Gold elites" and comes out with another status match offer which many UA customers may very well accept, given this latest boarding demotion (combined with all the other demotions already enacted by UA management).

The callous disregard shown to loyal customers by UA executives could very well be "the last straw" for many long-term UA customers. Quite simply, many have already taken too much of the shabby treatment that never seems to stop. What will UA do next to deteriorate the product?

A company cannot continually mislead customers and expect the customers to remain.
-
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:06 am

Four or five different boarding lanes at gate E2 in IAH. There is no way to police it, as people will hear their group number and just walk up to board, usually the shortest lane to the boarding door irrespective of the signage. I saw it firsthand at that gate last week. Confusion. UA also needs to place the premier lane furthest from the boarding scanner as general boarders will take the shortest lane to the boarding door and that means on the carpeted area. That's the reason sUA agents are pulling the rope across the stanchions, the general boarders will choose the shortest route to board, the carpeted area!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.