Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by limey1K
My sentiments exactly. I'm tired of the "boo hoo", "first world problem" et al posts by others here. I fly UA exclusively for a reason. I LIKED the perks as a 1K, "now boarding 1Ks on the Red Carpet" being one of them. Doubling the size of this group by adding Plats doesn't sit we'll with me and I'm not sure why anyone would have no issue with it . There's no way to say that it has no effect on the boarding process for 1ks. It's a downgrade in my opinion. Flame away but I fail to see how anyone can claim that there's no difference between 10 and 30 people boarding in group 1.
+1
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Boarding Process Changes, Starting Jan. 8-9th, 2013

I find it very interesting that not one person has commented about my post earlier and the fact that UNITED could and did board planes faster and with less groups and keeping top elites happier then they are now.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I'm interested in the fact that United hasn't responded to this...got to love it. Hey lets put some kindle out there and see if we can get a fire started...and let it rage and not do anything about it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:44 am

arrived at SFO gate 81 to board UA52 on Sunday (SFO-OGG, 753) at the official boarding time, and half the plane must have already boarded. Nobody using the premier lane, I used it. Long jetway backed up to the doors in the terminal.

I guess the GAs started the boarding process very early.

Doors closed, and the ground crew backs us up with the tail facing the wrong direction ...

-David
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by limey1K
... I fly UA exclusively for a reason. I LIKED the perks as a 1K, "now boarding 1Ks on the Red Carpet" being one of them. Doubling the size of this group by adding Plats doesn't sit we'll with me and I'm not sure why anyone would have no issue with it ....
I really miss hearing that....
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swm61230
I find it very interesting that not one person has commented about my post earlier and the fact that UNITED could and did board planes faster and with less groups and keeping top elites happier then they are now.
Exactly. But that was a PMUA method so they had to change from it. Credit cards to sell, all elites to equalize, etc.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, is this more like the CO boarding method then ? I never flew with CO.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:30 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I've made that point, too. It amazes me that "improvements" to the boarding process have resulted in needing the full PMCO boarding times, which were significantly longer than the PMUA ones.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
arrived at SFO gate 81 to board UA52 on Sunday (SFO-OGG, 753) at the official boarding time, and half the plane must have already boarded. Nobody using the premier lane, I used it. Long jetway backed up to the doors in the terminal.

I guess the GAs started the boarding process very early.
I encountered that on an IAD-LAX flight last week. I arrived at the gate at the official boarding time, and they'd already boarded group 1 and were into group 2 (and group 1 was pretty large given the size of the UG list and my woefully-low position on it!). And they still didn't finish boarding until the posted departure time despite using the latest "new & improved" process with extra lanes and all, and despite starting at least 5 minutes early.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So, is this more like the CO boarding method then ? I never flew with CO.
I don't think it's much like PMCO's process, either. It's just that UA management is so stubborn in admitting that PMUA could have done anything right that they keep tweaking the process and often making it worse. I also don't think they truly understood the volume of high-level elites on many legacy UA routes.

Remember, COdbaUA has now attempted:
  • Back-to-front boarding (miserable failure; PMUA's modified WILMA worked much better--and this particular one meant the E+ cabin had no bin space by the time many E+ pax had boarded)
  • Funneling all elites down the blue carpet (vs. PMUA's GS/1K/F), leading to gate scrums, excess licing, and frustration by top-tier elites)
  • Adding zones (we had up to 8 at one point)
  • Removing zones (down to 7, now down to 5)
  • Allowing pax with kids to pre-board, then not allowing them to do so

The PMUA process went like this:
  1. GS pre-board; also people needing extra time
  2. 1K and F, over the red carpet
  3. 1P and *G (who had queued up by then at the regular line), through the general line
  4. 2P and *S through the general line
  5. Modified WILMA for remaining pax, through the general line

With the carpet remaining open for 1K & GS the entire process. (At least they do usually keep the blue carpet open for elites the entire time, though on many flights that is almost a moot point once they're into the Gold, Silver, and Chase pax who fill the line--hence UA's current experiment with multiple lanes).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Here is United's responses to my complaint. It looks like to me they come from the same template but they recited the "Gold Member Benefit"
What an absolutely pathetic response from UA! I don't believe that the vast majority of flyers are giving the new boarding system a thumbs up. I was going to write a letter, but now I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

Originally Posted by abaheti
Where they have the new lanes set up, a separate one is labeled "Premier Access" with Group 1 on one side and Group 2 on the other. Then separately, the other lanes go Group 3,4,5. Website says that purchasing Premier Access gets you special check in, security, boarding. So, looks like they board with Group 2 for as little as $9; maybe now the credit card holders will be annoyed.

Purchase Premier Access to speed up your airport experience.

Premier AccessSM lets you enjoy the convenience of dedicated airport check-in lines, exclusive security lanes at select airports and priority boarding, so you can get to the gate, your seat, and the overhead bin sooner.

Prices, starting at $9, are segment-based and subject to change. Premier Access is subject to availability. Premier Access purchases do not include priority baggage handling.

--Arun
Maybe the Golds will be even MORE annoyed?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 24, 2013 at 9:33 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
The PMUA process went like this:
  1. GS pre-board; also people needing extra time
  2. 1K and F, over the red carpet
  3. 1P and *G (who had queued up by then at the regular line), through the general line
  4. 2P and *S through the general line
  5. Modified WILMA for remaining pax, through the general line
Assuming things went back to pmUA, which most of us all feel boarded faster/more efficiently, where would you put the credit card holders and purchasers of access, with 2P/*S? I'm guessing there was a lot of pressure from the credit card holders to be treated as special as the ads promised (I witnessed several DYKWIA card holders arguing/yelling/fighting with agents and even calling the card 800 number from the gate).

--Arun
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I really miss hearing that....
"I would now like to board my One-Hundred-Thousand-Mile Fliers through the Red Carpet..."

Originally Posted by abaheti
Assuming things went back to pmUA, which most of us all feel boarded faster/more efficiently, where would you put the credit card holders and purchasers of access, with 2P/*S? I'm guessing there was a lot of pressure from the credit card holders to be treated as special as the ads promised (I witnessed several DYKWIA card holders arguing/yelling/fighting with agents and even calling the card 800 number from the gate).

--Arun
Personally, I would send the CC holders and Premier line people to the end of the 2P/*S group, or just not offer priority boarding for CC holders (but we all know that won't happen...)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Personally, I would send the CC holders and Premier line people to the end of the 2P/*S group, or just not offer priority boarding for CC holders (but we all know that won't happen...)
It's not like UA hasn't abrogated "promises" on benefits they made to elites, either; I don't know why the "priority boarding" offered CC holders is some kind of sacrosanct benefit.

I'd put them at the end of the *S group, personally, though they could also just combine them with *S (sorry, Silvers!).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am sure it has been mentioned upstream (probably multiple times) but this whole thing is yet another example of the new United trying to monetize a benefit to the point of killing it altogether.

Or, the more pithy...

When everyone is elite, no one is elite.

The outcome: Ticking off credit card holders since they are not "special" enough and ticking off HVF for killing a much-appreciated benefit for their loyalty.

Lose / Lose....

And a loss of $723 million dollars in 2012

Last edited by goodeats21; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:33 am Reason: added content
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:46 am

Has any Premium/Elite customer failed to secure space in the overhead bin since the merger if you boarded at boarding time?

Ignoring the "I want to be recognized for my status" isn't the biggest complaint about all of the boarding methods, that have been tried since the merger, about the possible lack of overhead space?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Because your statement is about 50% bunk. The pmUA process, as exerda helpfully outlined upthread, had broken premium/elite customers into no fewer than 4 boarding groups AHEAD of group 1. Granted, pmUA didn't assign group numbers to the premium/elite boarding calls, but they were, without a doubt, boarding groups.

Truth be told, pmUA's process was closer to the pre-1/8 process, except for the fact that CC holders were not boarded with elites and 1P/2Ps boarded through the general lane instead of the red carpet lane.

The balance of your statement, about the planes boarding quicker and elites being generally happier, is correct. But the notion that there were fewer boarding groups is just nonsense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.