Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What beer and alcohol does UA serve on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer and alcohol does UA serve on board?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by spin88
It is easy to get drinkable scotch on international flights.... just fly someone other than UAL.
Not international, but I had a fun UAX FA a couple weeks back. I asked for G&T, but he came back and said he did not have any gin left. So I asked for a scotch. He said he would have to check. Came back to my seat and said "I don't have any SCOTCH, but I have something called Dewars, if you want to try that?"
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not international, but I had a fun UAX FA a couple weeks back. I asked for G&T, but he came back and said he did not have any gin left. So I asked for a scotch. He said he would have to check. Came back to my seat and said "I don't have any SCOTCH, but I have something called Dewars, if you want to try that?"
Dewars served cold, Shirley
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by kettle1
Unreal. Did they have limes?
I didn't think to ask. Poor flight attendant might have been embarrassed
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Did not see it mentioned in this thread, but UA does have a secret stash of beers that are available on international flights. I don't remember them all since it has been a while but Australia and UK flights both cater beer from those locations, respectively. Maybe Germany too but I don't recall. I had no idea (as I don't believe they appear on the menu) until I saw somebody drinking one and inquired. Unfortunately this does not seem to extend to Mexico (how hard would it be to get mass produced Mexican canned beer??!! - even WN manages to stock Corona and they don't even fly to Mexico (well until now))

Originally Posted by lazard
because they know at the end of the day, 99% of beer customers are gonna buy beer regardless of what brands they carry.
Not true. I would prefer beer but I absolutely refuse to drink UA's swill so instead I use my drink coupons (or free F drinks) for liquor which I am sure costs UA more.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know, we hear your feedback on this one. Stay tuned...

-UA Insider
We are all ears.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know, we hear your feedback on this one. Stay tuned...

-UA Insider
Call me silly or willfully optimistic or delusional, but I choose to remain hopeful about this. I, for one, will reserve my judgment until such time as an announcement has been made.

The key is maintaining low expectations.

Thanks for the heads up, UA Insider!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Did not see it mentioned in this thread, but UA does have a secret stash of beers that are available on international flights. I don't remember them all since it has been a while but Australia and UK flights both cater beer from those locations, respectively. Maybe Germany too but I don't recall. I had no idea (as I don't believe they appear on the menu) until I saw somebody drinking one and inquired. Unfortunately this does not seem to extend to Mexico (how hard would it be to get mass produced Mexican canned beer??!! - even WN manages to stock Corona and they don't even fly to Mexico (well until now))

Not true. I would prefer beer but I absolutely refuse to drink UA's swill so instead I use my drink coupons (or free F drinks) for liquor which I am sure costs UA more.

We are all ears.
Those international beer selections are no longer...I think exLHR they were serving London Pride. Last I saw it was getting pulled. So enjoy that BudLight...rolls eyes
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Those international beer selections are no longer...I think exLHR they were serving London Pride. Last I saw it was getting pulled. So enjoy that BudLight...rolls eyes
Hmmm . . . on international flights to the US I've fairly often encountered one of the choices' being from the departure country, although generally a lower quality beer from their as well (Tsingtao, Kirin, Bitburger). Every so often I'll find such a can on an outbound if the plane happened to be coming from that country as well.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
I'd like to see better wine served along with better beer, but this is news to no one.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Same here -- I can't believe I still bother to ask what beers they have "Miller Lite, Budweiser, and Heineken." Big sigh. "I'll have a gin and tonic please..."

UAInsider -- I hope that UA will feature local beers from their hub cities for flights. Denver/Colorado, along with the other hubs have some outstanding breweries that could really enhance UA's beer selection...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
London Pride was great sorry its gone. I am the same as you guys, prefer beer but on united I drink Tito's Vodka, Gin or Scotch depending.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lazard
because they know at the end of the day, 99% of beer customers are gonna buy beer regardless of what brands they carry.
Holy cow, are you serious? I would never consider drinking any of the stuff that UA serves (I just drink soda or water), but I would definitely buy a good beer (at pretty much any price they want to quote---not to mention I've got dozens of drink coupons that I just throw out every year anyway). There may be a bunch of reasons that UA doesn't serve decent beer, but this isn't one of them.

You don't need to serve beer from local microbreweries to have good beer. There are plenty of decent beers that are available in cans nationally.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Holy cow, are you serious? I would never consider drinking any of the stuff that UA serves (I just drink soda or water), but I would definitely buy a good beer (at pretty much any price they want to quote---not to mention I've got dozens of drink coupons that I just throw out every year anyway). There may be a bunch of reasons that UA doesn't serve decent beer, but this isn't one of them.
Sadly, it is literally true that less than 0.5% of beer served in America is craft beer.

All the craft beer sold in the US doesn't even equal 1% of the amount of Bud Lite sold in the US: http://www.vox.com/2014/4/16/5620170...is-a-bud-light

Nonetheless, I still selfishly hope that UA ups their beer game.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrewwm
All the craft beer sold in the US doesn't even equal 1% of the amount of Bud Lite sold in the US:
Sure, but most of that is sold as an alcohol-delivery vehicle for young kids who want to get drunk, not a beverage.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Sure, but most of that is sold as an alcohol-delivery vehicle for young kids who want to get drunk, not a beverage.
Nah, that would be the Keystone Light or the Natural Ice Light, both of which also outsell craft beer 20:1. It can't be that over 4/5 of the beer sold in the US (Bud, Miller, Coors Lite) is just going to drunk college kids.

I'm not saying I like it (in fact, I don't - I go to craft beer fairs regularly and have tried my hand at home brew), but I think the gourmands on flyertalk overestimate the number of similarly-interested flyers.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrewwm
It can't be that over 4/5 of the beer sold in the US (Bud, Miller, Coors Lite) is just going to drunk college kids.
Why not? OK, throw in the sports fans, too.

I think the gourmands on flyertalk overestimate the number of similarly-interested flyers.
I wouldn't call myself a gourmand but nor would I guess at that number. I'm not trying to predict what other people would want. However, the claim that 99% of flyers will just buy whatever 'beer' is offered, doesn't seem plausible. If you said 'most', sure, that might be right. I think it would be hard for UA to offer better beers (and if they did they might still pick something I don't like), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.