Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status Matching to UA - How to Get around the 5 Year Ban

Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

So, I made a mistake. 2-3 years ago, thinking I was about to start a project that would take me from TLV-SFO in J a number of times, I status matched to Silver on CO. Then the project got canceled and I never used it. I ended up flying a lot more on DL/AF and made PL. Last year, tried status matching to UA again from DL PL and they told me I couldn't because of the prior try on CO and that I had to wait 5 years. Instead I did a challenge on US and made Chairman, now down to Gold this year. Stay with me here...

The problem is I fly a lot of long haul in coach from TLV to SFO and on LH and TK to Germany so my second mistake was not realizing that when I signed up for US, that the lower fare classes on LH, TK and LX don't give me full credit on US (but usually do on UA).

So now I'd like to switch over to UA. Problem is, I made this status match mistake a couple of years ago. Now logically, I'd think UA would want someone who is PL on DL and Gold on US to switch to UA - the question is, how can I get around this stupid 5 year thing! If AA and US merge then maybe they'll match me from Gold on AA to UA, but is there any way we can make logic prevail here?

My other alternative seems to be to just suck it up and fly without status on UA/LH/TK/LX, using my US club card for lounges (LH and LX don't seem to give too much *G benefits anyway) until I get at least *G on UA.

Any thoughts from the group?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
First step would be to post in the UA forum. DL is not going to help you status match.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:24 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
First step would be to post in the UA forum. DL is not going to help you status match.
Maybe we should start...thin out the ranks!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Unlikely that UA will do anything to status match US Air, both are * alliance and they'd be poaching from their own partner.

Maybe see if you could start crediting your trips to a UA frequent flier account, while enjoying your US status for this entire year. That way you'll get full miles for the flights you're taking. It may be technically complicated to do so, but might be your best option if you can use the *A benefits from the US air status but start accruing the miles to a UA account and your elite status there.

Seriously though, US Air and UA sections would likely be a lot more value for you on this question
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:32 pm

I would try to explain to them that when you tried to status match before PMCO's route network didn't end up meeting your needs, but that the revised post-merger route network looks like its a better fit. If you do a lot of traffic to/from SFO that would be believable. That might get them to reconsider the 5 year thing. Especially if status matching is handled by PMUA folks :-P

The rules of status matching (like many rules) can generally be bent for high-enough value customers. If you've done significant amounts of paid J/F in the past I would highlight that for them too. Long-haul coach trips aren't going to get you an exception though.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If you are flying regularly between TLV and SFO you should be able to reach status on your own very quickly. Its almost 15K round trip. . . just start flying. In two trips you'll have status.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just open a new UA account and use a relative's or office address and start from scratch.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K, Hilton Honors Gold, Starwood Hotels
I would think it unlikely you can get around the five year rule. The new United is very rigid. I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and just start flying from scratch...why don't you just fly delta to TLV, you still have a layover on UA. The service on UA on that route is not the est either. Also, KLM and AF can get you anywhere in Europe.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Since their new promotion is targeted at DL flyers, it actually does make sense. How many people already on UA know anything about matching to UA?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
How many people already on UA know anything about matching to UA?
Just the ones that successfully status-matched to UA instead of earning it

Someone else's experience beating the 5 year ban but matching from an airline other than DL might also help you
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Sorry, he's not gonna help you. I am concerning about his behavior. I am not quite sure why he banned from mileage plus program for 5-year. He doesn't do anything wrong. He have to stay on it and he doesn't have to switch the program. He is loyally FF program for a long time. He can't be switch the airlines. He have stay on UA for his lifetime. He can't be termination his FF program. It's unacceptable.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by N830MH
Sorry, he's not gonna help you. I am concerning about his behavior. I am not quite sure why he banned from mileage plus program for 5-year. He doesn't do anything wrong. He have to stay on it and he doesn't have to switch the program. He is loyally FF program for a long time. He can't be switch the airlines. He have stay on UA for his lifetime. He can't be termination his FF program. It's unacceptable.
He's not banned. It's just that no one is allowed to do two status matches within a five year period.

Originally Posted by NYTA
Any thoughts from the group?
I did a status match to UA a few years back. What are the benefits you seek from status. Some people may be able to offer suggestions to help mitigate the problems if they know what you need.

PS - You probably want to get one of the mods to move this to the UA board.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 6, 2013 at 9:55 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Second step would be to save status matches/challenges for something really worth it, not silver.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I moved this over subject to the UA forum where this belongs.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
I was surprised its only a 5 year ban, I thought based on another airline it was once in a lifetime. So I guess 5 years is not too bad.
Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.