Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 13, 8:45 am   #1
tw1
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: DL PM; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz Gold; Global Entry/Pre✓; DL Amex Reserve; BB Prem Silver
Posts: 16
UA Lowers 2013 Status Match Mileage Requirement

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie (long time reader but first time poster). Apologies in advance if I've somehow missed this posted elsewhere. I was helping a family member with their MP account and out of curiosity asked the UA CS rep about status match. He mentioned to check back as they were updating the program for 2013 and hinted they'd be lowering the mileage criteria. Sure enough I checked the UA site this morning and they've dropped the platinum match to 18k EQM from 25K. They've also lowered the mileage requirement for Gold and Silver and lowered the PQS across the board. From what I gathered from united-renegs-1k-status-match they've also adjusted the T&Cs to allow COS bonus EQM to apply as well. Seems like these changes will ease the process for many folks.

Flight Requirements
Premier Silver Fly 7,000 PQM or 8 PQS on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa to retain Premier Silver status
Premier Gold Fly 12,500 PQM or 15 PQS on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa to retain Premier Gold status
Premier Platinum Fly 18,000 PQM or 22 PQS on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa to retain Premier Platinum status


MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge
tw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:04 am   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SNA
Programs: UA 1K, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Posts: 188
I thought this was an interesting footnote:

*Customers whose offer enables them to meet the flight requirement on or after July 1, 2013, will retain their matched Premier status through January 31, 2015, unless a higher Premier level is earned. Go to mileageplus.com/premier for more information on the MileagePlus Premier program.

This suggests that if someone took the challenge (at any level), and completed their challenge flying before July 1, they would keep their level through 1/31/14, but would not have that status for the 2014 program year.

Weird (at least to me)...
sakaike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:17 am   #3
tw1
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: DL PM; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz Gold; Global Entry/Pre✓; DL Amex Reserve; BB Prem Silver
Posts: 16
If I'm not mistaken I believe that if you complete the challenge prior to July then you retain status up through when the 2013 program year expires. For us DL flyers that's end of Feb. of the following year ie. 2014. I'm not 100% sure on UA. It's widely recommended, from what I have read, to complete these challenges after July as it yields nearly a year's worth of additional status in contrast to starting earlier in the year.
tw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:30 am   #4
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Newtown, CT
Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Starwood LT Platinum (former Ambassador), Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaike View Post
I thought this was an interesting footnote:

*Customers whose offer enables them to meet the flight requirement on or after July 1, 2013, will retain their matched Premier status through January 31, 2015, unless a higher Premier level is earned. Go to mileageplus.com/premier for more information on the MileagePlus Premier program.

This suggests that if someone took the challenge (at any level), and completed their challenge flying before July 1, they would keep their level through 1/31/14, but would not have that status for the 2014 program year.

Weird (at least to me)...
This is pretty typical - if you complete a challenge after 7/1, you keep the status through the rest of the year, the following calendar year, and the residual .
PTahCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:31 am   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 327
It looks like if you match before July 1 2013, you only get it for this year (eg. it doesn't count as qualifying this year for next year).
juniorsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 10:12 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 30,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaike View Post
This suggests that if someone took the challenge (at any level), and completed their challenge flying before July 1, they would keep their level through 1/31/14, but would not have that status for the 2014 program year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorsu View Post
It looks like if you match before July 1 2013, you only get it for this year (eg. it doesn't count as qualifying this year for next year).
This is fairly typical for status matches. You would of course have whatever status you earn for the subsequent year (e.g. if you fly 18k for a Plat match and then fly another 7k on top of that the rest of the year, you'd be Silver for the following year), but your matched status would only carry over if you earn it in full during the year.
__________________
GO HOKIES
exerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 11:25 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: YVR. Now@ HKG
Programs: *A-G | 1W-E | ST-E+ | HL-GO | *W-GO | HY-PL
Posts: 22,595
I have a question :

Quote:
..Qualifying flights must be operated by United, United Express or Copa, with a United flight number and credited to the member's MileagePlus account. Flights operated by United, United Express or Copa that have a partnerís codeshare flight number do not qualify. Flights operated by any other airline do not qualify.
Does this mean that on Copa flights, that they need to be booked with a UA flight number and not use the CM code? The flights I want to take do not have a UA flight number ! eg YYZ-PTY-GRU rtn
Guy Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 12:34 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 12 stops from ORD
Programs: UA, AA, DL
Posts: 610
So I take it that the flyer/applicant gets to pick when the 90 day period starts to run?
XLR26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 12:41 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: YVR. Now@ HKG
Programs: *A-G | 1W-E | ST-E+ | HL-GO | *W-GO | HY-PL
Posts: 22,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR26 View Post
So I take it that the flyer/applicant gets to pick when the 90 day period starts to run?
I think the clock starts ticking the day your status match is approved. Which is usually 5-7 business days from the time you submit your application.
Guy Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 12:47 pm   #10
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Redwood City, CA USA (SFO/SJC)
Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012 & '13.
Posts: 6,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1 View Post
Flight Requirements
Premier Silver Fly 7,000 PQM or 8 PQS on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa to retain Premier Silver status
Premier Gold Fly 12,500 PQM or 15 PQS on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa to retain Premier Gold status
Premier Platinum Fly 18,000 PQM or 22 PQS on flights operated by United, United Express or Copa to retain Premier Platinum status


MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge
Bolding mine. Reads a bit oddly, as if it's a way to retain current status that you missed requalifying for on UA, until you realize that the "metals" match up between Delta & UA.
__________________
-Mike- Chain Reaction
Most fun flight ever? SJC-SBA-SFO-LAX-IAD-LAS-LAX-SJC Mileage Run 12/07/09!
Mike Jacoubowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 12:50 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 12 stops from ORD
Programs: UA, AA, DL
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
I think the clock starts ticking the day your status match is approved. Which is usually 5-7 business days from the time you submit your application.
That's what I thought initially, but then how could someone qualify in the second half of the year?
XLR26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 1:09 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 55
Since I already have status in UA and *Gold is excluded, I can't take advantage of this offer, right? Just want to be extra sure!
NYC1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 1:17 pm   #13
tw1
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: DL PM; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz Gold; Global Entry/Pre✓; DL Amex Reserve; BB Prem Silver
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR26 View Post
That's what I thought initially, but then how could someone qualify in the second half of the year?
You'd have to wait until at least 90 days prior to July 1, so sometime in early April, to start the challenge. I believe it would have to April 2nd or later. There is obviously still the chance MP may change the requirements between now and then, however. If I were to do it I'd wait as the extra year of status is worth the risk IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1981 View Post
Since I already have status in UA and *Gold is excluded, I can't take advantage of this offer, right? Just want to be extra sure!
I believe if you already have status with UA you are excluded but either way the T&Cs state the following, which looks as though it would specifically exclude you based on your current *Gold status.

Customers who have Star Alliance Silver or Gold status are excluded from this offer.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 3, 13 at 1:57 pm.. Reason: merge
tw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 2:19 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 12 stops from ORD
Programs: UA, AA, DL
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1 View Post
You'd have to wait until at least 90 days prior to July 1, so sometime in early April, to start the challenge. I believe it would have to April 2nd or later. There is obviously still the chance MP may change the requirements between now and then, however. If I were to do it I'd wait as the extra year of status is worth the risk IMO.
You're assuming then that the flyer/applicant can pick the start date, which is what I'm assuming as well, but the offer doesn't explicitly say that.

I'm just curious as to how UA is going to work that if they allow people to pick the 90 day period.
XLR26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:13 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW London
Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald); A3 *G; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR26 View Post
You're assuming then that the flyer/applicant can pick the start date, which is what I'm assuming as well, but the offer doesn't explicitly say that.

I'm just curious as to how UA is going to work that if they allow people to pick the 90 day period.
I don't think they do let you choose. AIUI...

If you ask for a status match on 1 April then the challenge may kick in on (say) 6 April when they push the right buttons. If you then complete the challenge in 60 days (so ~5 June) you have status until year end. However, if you take 90 days to complete it (~5 July) you get an extra year.
EsherFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:29 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.