Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Lowers 2013 Status Match Mileage Requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Lowers 2013 Status Match Mileage Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I don't think they do let you choose. AIUI...

If you ask for a status match on 1 April then the challenge may kick in on (say) 6 April when they push the right buttons. If you then complete the challenge in 60 days (so ~5 June) you have status until year end. However, if you take 90 days to complete it (~5 July) you get an extra year.

UA's site says: "This offer is valid for requests received between January 1 and January 31, and may change from month to month." Regardless, it's still unclear IMO.

I could've sworn the phrase at the end ("...and may change from month to month") wasn't there when I first looked at the offer.

Last edited by XLR26; Jan 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:56 pm
tw1
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz Gold; Global Entry/Pre✓; DL Amex Reserve; BB Prem Silver
Originally Posted by XLR26
UA's site says: "This offer is valid for requests received between January 1 and January 31, and may change from month to month." Regardless, it's still unclear IMO.

I could've sworn the phrase at the end ("...and may change from month to month") wasn't there when I first looked at the offer.
That's a good point. I can't specifically recall if that language was there prior to the update but I actually don't remember it saying 'month to month' either. I suppose if someone is very eager to status challenge they should go for it now but I think it will become clear in the coming months if UA plans to switch it up regularly. It's a risk to wait but a risk that could pay off if you get the status for a whole extra year. Also depends on when certain people plan (or need) to fly.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Does this mean that on Copa flights, that they need to be booked with a UA flight number and not use the CM code? The flights I want to take do not have a UA flight number ! eg YYZ-PTY-GRU rtn
My question back to you - where did you see that?

Originally Posted by NYC1981
Since I already have status in UA and *Gold is excluded, I can't take advantage of this offer, right? Just want to be extra sure!
Not exactly. But sure it will not be this status matching challenge offer.

Each year, UA, at its discretion, may offer a challenge to those status dropping member (like PP>1P) for a challenge to be back the status. So those who experienced a drop, they may be able to get that status back (1K is always an unknown.)

However, is it mean that if you are keeping the original status, you can't get a status up from that challenge? Not really. But you would have to ask.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
There have been numerous posts this past year about United wanting to reduce the number of flyers with status. Seems to be at odds with what is presented in this thread.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by NYC1981
Since I already have status in UA and *Gold is excluded, I can't take advantage of this offer, right? Just want to be extra sure!
The *A element may be intended to mean you can't status match from another *A airline (eg LH Senator), which is a *A rule I believe. If you happen to also have status with a different alliance you may be allowed to status match from there since it would in theory increase net *A revenue.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92
There have been numerous posts this past year about United wanting to reduce the number of flyers with status. Seems to be at odds with what is presented in this thread.
+1, doesnt make much sense. Just enhance the 1K benefits and you'll have many more people flying for them.

Now it just seems like there is no direction and UA is flying blindly.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
The *A element may be intended to mean you can't status match from another *A airline (eg LH Senator), which is a *A rule I believe. If you happen to also have status with a different alliance you may be allowed to status match from there since it would in theory increase net *A revenue.
Fairly certain that this is not a *A rule. TK matches to Star. Though in general, just tends to be a status matching theme that they won't match within the alliance. Status matching is not terribly common though, outside of the states.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Fairly certain that this is not a *A rule. TK matches to Star.
That's interesting. I thought there was a rule to not poach within *A, but wouldn't have any evidence for it .
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Bolding mine. Reads a bit oddly, as if it's a way to retain current status that you missed requalifying for on UA, until you realize that the "metals" match up between Delta & UA.
The way I read it (and the way I believe it's intended to be read) is that they grant you the status level for the purposes of the challenge and, if you meet the requirements, you will retain that status level beyond the challenge period.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Succesful challenges after April will keep status till 2015?

Yes, you are granted status at start of challenge and need to fly the required PQM to retain the status.

My read of the terms:

*Customers whose offer enables them to meet the flight requirement on or after July 1, 2013, will retain their matched Premier status through January 31, 2015

is that you will get to keep status till 2015 for all successful challenges started after April 1.

For example, if you request challenge on June 1, then you must meet the flight req't by Sep 1. If you complete challenge on June 14, you should retain status till Jan 2015. Does this sound right?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:27 pm
tw1
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz Gold; Global Entry/Pre✓; DL Amex Reserve; BB Prem Silver
Originally Posted by eethan
Yes, you are granted status at start of challenge and need to fly the required PQM to retain the status.

My read of the terms:

*Customers whose offer enables them to meet the flight requirement on or after July 1, 2013, will retain their matched Premier status through January 31, 2015

is that you will get to keep status till 2015 for all successful challenges started after April 1.

For example, if you request challenge on June 1, then you must meet the flight req't by Sep 1. If you complete challenge on June 14, you should retain status till Jan 2015. Does this sound right?
That is how I read it as well.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
That's interesting. I thought there was a rule to not poach within *A, but wouldn't have any evidence for it .
I really just think that it is just not common enough to be too big of an issue. I don't know of many non-US carriers who have published status matches. (I know a few do, but not coming to mind at this moment)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by eethan

My read of the terms:

No. I believe the flight that puts you over the threashold has to be after July 1st. If you finish before then, your status will probably be good only until the end of January 2014. The wording says "complete the challenge" and not after the the end of the 90 day trial period. You could complete the challenge in a week.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
A one F discounted ticket to PVG or NRT for $3k during a discounted sale and then anyone can jump off to PLAT
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
A one F discounted ticket to PVG or NRT for $3k during a discounted sale and then anyone can jump off to PLAT
Better yet if u can handle E+ TransPac then do ORD-SIN RT @ $1309

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.