Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to O/ON coming Feb. 1, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I don't understand why people are getting so upset about it. With ample Star Alliance partners offering superior products and on-board service it blows my mind why any UA elites would even consider redeeming UA miles to fly GlobalFirst. Sure it is nice to have as a back-up when availability on carriers offering a real first product isn't available or in combination with other itineraries but what is the big deal?
The big deal is that UA is almost always the only carrier available in first, probably due to the vast inferiority of the product.

TATL LH/LX - never available - except LH for 2 weeks out
TPAC - SQ - forget it!, NH - hard to find, OZ - hard to find, CA - superior product and easy to find ^.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:21 am

I don't understand why people are getting so upset about it. With ample Star Alliance partners offering superior products and on-board service it blows my mind why any UA elites would even consider redeeming UA miles to fly GlobalFirst. Sure it is nice to have as a back-up when availability on carriers offering a real first product isn't available or in combination with other itineraries but what is the big deal?
Agree. I wouldn't waste my miles on UA F. Compared to NH,OZ,LH which all open ample amount of F award seat to *A, UA international first class is a joke.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
^

I was about to rant "There goes the chance of me every flying in the GF cabin".. Then I remembered
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by ben237829624
Agree. I wouldn't waste my miles on UA F. Compared to NH,OZ,LH which all open ample amount of F award seat to *A, UA international first class is a joke.
Gee, people think they are so smart. You ever actually tried to redeem on OZ / SQ / LH in F? If you have, you'd know there is nothing "ample" about it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
The biggest stink must be SFO-SYD and LAX-SYD, where routing on Star partners either mean J only (AC/NZ) or uber detour (e.g. JFK-FRA-BKK-SYD instead of JFK-SFO-SYD)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by burlax
Gee, people think they are so smart. You ever actually tried to redeem on OZ / SQ / LH in F? If you have, you'd know there is nothing "ample" about it.
I always just counted on flying UA GF and IF something opens up its a bonus...now im worried nomore GF, so its going to be business class mindset and PRAY something opens up...guess this is the new UA we have to live with
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
While I enjoy LH/TG/NH as much as the next guy, sometimes schedules and/or routes make UA a better choice.

And the continued degradation of elite benefits is becoming annoying. I thought we were making progress (expiration of GPUs + meal priority), but another step backward now.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Yay, more op-ups to GF on UNITED for people who quit flying UNITED exclusively to make 1k but instead buy business class fares on whatever airline has the cheapest business class fares.

It seemed to me that UNITED made a strategic decision to cater more to a customer who is not loyal but spends more per ticket over someone who is loyal but spends less per ticket. So now I am not loyal at all to UNITED but do spend more on a ticket when I do fly on UNITED. And so UNITED caters to me! @:-)

And this move certainly seems to bolster that theory and approach.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
I always just counted on flying UA GF and IF something opens up its a bonus...now im worried nomore GF, so its going to be business class mindset and PRAY something opens up...guess this is the new UA we have to live with
Such doom and gloom. How many F are we really talking about losing? Do we even know how many more seats were available, and as UA-NYC noted, is this really a net loss (yet)?

Let it pan out before we start our tin-foil conversations.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by burlax
Because GF availability for Plat and higher was really good (as good as upgrade availability). And it was much easier to redeem in GF than to find seats in F on LH/OZ/SQ.
Well then UA should have done this yrs ago then
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And the continued degradation of elite benefits is becoming annoying. I thought we were making progress (expiration of GPUs + meal priority), but another step backward now.
I agree, just when I thought UA had turned the corner and realized that continually kicking the crap out of their best customers might not be such a great idea they come up with this.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Sometimes UA F was all that was available in F/J. It's my last choice, but I've found it useful to have it there at times.

Originally Posted by ben237829624
Out of these, I would say that only OZ opens up "ample amount of F award" seats. LH has to be last minute, and NH has really held back F award space since they went to the new Square product.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:53 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I've never seen it before - I'd be curious if you get any +1 to your post
I saw it last week on SEA-SFO. Was on a 319, and there did not appear to be any open seats. On the day before departure, RN went to 1, and R remained at 0. Called in and had my GPU-driven upgrade cleared in about 10 minutes.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:56 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
More of the "all elites are equal." The only thing that surprised me was the fact that this wasn't posted at 5:00 pm on a Friday.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GBadger
I saw it last week on SEA-SFO. Was on a 319, and there did not appear to be any open seats. On the day before departure, RN went to 1, and R remained at 0. Called in and had my GPU-driven upgrade cleared in about 10 minutes.
Well that would be a real enhancement if they actually started feeding the RN bucket (such that RN>R)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.