Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Frustration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Award Frustration

I have been pricing a US-Asia-Africa-US award redemption and get reasonable choices in J (including Singapore Airlines) when building it as three one-ways. However, when I try to put it together as a multi-destination trip, I get completely different options (and very poor ones, at that).

Question is...if I call in, will an agent be able to piece together the exact flights I'm seeing as one-ways and get it at the free stopover rate (120K total)? This is very frustrating.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by vatraveler
I have been pricing a US-Asia-Africa-US award redemption and get reasonable choices in J (including Singapore Airlines) when building it as three one-ways. However, when I try to put it together as a multi-destination trip, I get completely different options (and very poor ones, at that).

Question is...if I call in, will an agent be able to piece together the exact flights I'm seeing as one-ways and get it at the free stopover rate (120K total)? This is very frustrating.
If the segments are available then an agent will be able to help you piece it together.

Sometimes you can get the website to find different options by changing various criteria, such as entering an exact departure time vs leaving it open for anytime.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Air Houston
... Sometimes you can get the website to find different options by changing various criteria, such as entering an exact departure time vs leaving it open for anytime.
also by forcing routing with the Multiple Destination option
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MM, Hyatt Globalist
Sometimes you can get your desired option to show up by changing the "number of flights to display" in the multiple destinations window from default to "50".
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:02 pm

Book as much as you can online, and have an agent add whatever you can't. Pricing complicated itineraries can take forever, so remember if you're speaking to incompetent agent just hang up and get another one
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA GM
Originally Posted by Air Houston
If the segments are available then an agent will be able to help you piece it together.

Sometimes you can get the website to find different options by changing various criteria, such as entering an exact departure time vs leaving it open for anytime.
The agent can piece it together and also waive the phone fee.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
.... and also waive the phone fee.
That's a bit of YMMV situation, not standard default policy.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's a bit of YMMV situation, not standard default policy.
Rules specifically dictate it will be charged even when not bookable online, however agents are lenient with waiving it.

If OP is high elite s/he is exempt anyways.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP is a Platinum Elite (OnePass??!! )

J/K - OP is a Premier Platinum, so no phone booking fee at all.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by DavidinSaipan
Sometimes you can get your desired option to show up by changing the "number of flights to display" in the multiple destinations window from default to "50".
This sounds so simple yet I never would have thought of it. Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all the tips. I tinkered with display options, times, etc. and no love from UA. The first leg is available (EWR-HKG) as a one-way, but the multi-segment trip won't show it. Displays standard awards via LHR and other places.

Guess I'll be writing everything down and calling. Thankfully, no phone fee for me, but it's still annoying having to call in this day and age.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
bad advice - a complicated itinerary is more likely to get rejected by an agent, claiming all kinds of things wrong with it.

You need to book the framework online, have it price and ticket, and call in to change flights, just say the website wasnt giving you these options.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rankourabu
bad advice - a complicated itinerary is more likely to get rejected by an agent, claiming all kinds of things wrong with it.
Actually, if you get the right agent, it is a piece of cake.

Couple months ago, I have booked 2 award reservation, with stopover, flight by flight with the help of an agent. No problem at all.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by garykung
Actually, if you get the right agent, it is a piece of cake.

Couple months ago, I have booked 2 award reservation, with stopover, flight by flight with the help of an agent. No problem at all.
Absolutely, but thats a big IF.
IME, its much better to change an existing itinerary than to try to build a new one from scratch with an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.