Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag Allowance for Premier Companions on same PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MileagePlus Premier members
If you’re a Premier member, you and your travel companions can check bags for free. Use this chart to see what each level of status provides.3,4,5
2Travel companions of Premier members have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit. This only applies if they’re traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions don’t apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.
Print Wikipost

Bag Allowance for Premier Companions on same PNR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DrewBach
I am United gold, can I extend baggage benefits to two people or only 1? I know Economy Plus would only be 1, the 2nd person is a lap infant who on an international flight gets full baggage rights amazingly. I have the right to 3 suitcases at 70 lbs (thank you Brasil!) and I believe my wife does too as we are on the same PNR with award tickets. My 1 year old is on the same ticket as well, would he get those 3 suitcases or just the 2?
That's 630 lbs of luggage (plus carry-on). I assume you're moving?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I thought Brazil gave luggage allowances of 2 x 70 lb regardless of status. Or is that leaving Brazil only?

Baggage rights go across the whole PNR (up to 9) even if E+ does not.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
I am in fact moving, that will be the final move flight. I have already taken about 11 suitcases in previous trips. International move accomplished with no baggage or transportation fees.

United Golds get a 3rd 70lb bag, they don't advertise it, but if you click about additional baggage they show a 3rd 70lb bag for golds. Amazingly infants on a 10% fare get 2 70lb bags standard. I will try to contact United to see if he gets the 3rd now that I am gold and traveling with him. Last time was only silver.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

"Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each with the exception of travel to and from select international markets"

Brasil is always involved in any * on baggage information

Here's the info straight from the United page

Additional and other bag charges
Third bag
up to 62.0 linear inches (157 cm)
and 70.0 lbs (32 kgs)
$0 USD per bag

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 26, 2017, 4:46 pm

Same pnr baggage allowance

My cousin is Premier gold and we are all on the same group pnr as her. Per my understanding, her baggage allowance should apply to up to 8 people. But when I check united baggage estimate, it says $25, even for her. She also purchased everything on a United card, so even if her status lapsed, she should have gotten her bag free. Do we need to call united and confirm or it'll get sorted at the check in?
Old May 26, 2017, 5:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by psychoidiot
My cousin is Premier gold and we are all on the same group pnr as her. Per my understanding, her baggage allowance should apply to up to 8 people. But when I check united baggage estimate, it says $25, even for her. She also purchased everything on a United card, so even if her status lapsed, she should have gotten her bag free. Do we need to call united and confirm or it'll get sorted at the check in?
How large is the "group"? If a true "group" PNR, more than 9 people this will be a problem. Group PNRs are handled differently and doubt the status inheritance will work.

If a normal non-group PNR, the bag waiver should work.

What is the first operating carrier? is it UA/UX?

And is the status still valid? (note status at travel is what matters, not status at purchase).
Old May 31, 2017, 3:48 pm

The group is 12 people =( So I'm guessing why that doesn't work? it's
UA1620 it says on the flight number. I double checked with her and she said her status indicates she's still gold but even for her she has to pay baggage fees?

=( Yup - it doesn't work:

Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions do not apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.

@#$3 If I knew that, we would have forgoed the group and bought tickets separately, it's not like there was a discount involved.

Last edited by psychoidiot; May 31, 2017 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
So is this still true? If I'm UA Gold and flying with three companions SFO-TLV then we get 12x70lbs of luggage?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYTA
So is this still true? If I'm UA Gold and flying with three companions SFO-TLV then we get 12x70lbs of luggage?
If on a common PNR, the bag allowance of the companions is the same as the highest elite on the PNR.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If on a common PNR, the bag allowance of the companions is the same as the highest elite on the PNR.
I remembered this as being the case too but couldn't find it in writing anywhere on the UA website.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remembered this as being the case too but couldn't find it in writing anywhere on the UA website.
It's on the checked baggage charges page, in the (collapsed) section at the bottom called "Checked baggage service charge exceptions:"

Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:08 am

Checked baggage service charge exemptions
MileagePlus Premier® members

Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions do not apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:31 am

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Silver Companion Checked Bag?

Does a Silver's Companion on the same reservation (PNR) get a free checked bag?

Under benefits it says
1 Bag @ 70lbs for Silver
2 Bags @ 70lbs (EA) for Gold.

However it appears from posts here Silver Companion gets a bag as well?

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, all travelers on the same PNR get the highest baggage allowance of anyone on that PNR.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, all travelers on the same PNR get the highest baggage allowance of anyone on that PNR.
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.