Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight #145 IAD-HNL diverted twice in two days? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight #145 IAD-HNL diverted twice in two days? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:38 pm

Another reason could be if the flight took a lengthy delay after the diversion, they could've swapped out crews in IAH to continue the trip onto to HNL.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, HiltonHonors, AAdvantage, Starwood Prefered Guest, Marriott Rewards
I am on UA 145 tomorrow. Fingers crossed - I don't wish to be diverted to IAH, either. I was looking forward to taking a n/s to HNL without changing planes. By the way, my seat was reassigned to a non-Economy Plus seat - twice since Friday. I called reservations and they were pleasant and gave me Y+ as originally reserved.

Per the UAL website, Flight 145 was canceled after its diversion to IAH today.

Last edited by ClipperJon; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:04 pm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

It looks like the continuation of this flight out of IAH after the diversion made it to about FL250 and then diverted AGAIN back to IAH. It's now cancelled.

What the heck is going on with these planes?

Last edited by alenguy; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Planes are old, that's the problem. I flew this bird last week and the monitors in bf are crappy and have a terrible resolution with lots of interference. So it's probably better just to bring your own media. It's definitely better than other planes, but leaving this small subfleet to Hawaii flights, will probably mean the planes will have to be substituted with other big birds from time to time...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:43 pm

The first diversion to IAH was due to a generator issue. The second return to IAH was due to a bird strike.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by 1KHI
Planes are old, that's the problem. I flew this bird last week and the monitors in bf are crappy and have a terrible resolution with lots of interference. So it's probably better just to bring your own media. It's definitely better than other planes, but leaving this small subfleet to Hawaii flights, will probably mean the planes will have to be substituted with other big birds from time to time...
Originally Posted by sfogate
The first diversion to IAH was due to a generator issue. The second return to IAH was due to a bird strike.
Hummm, even the newest of new planes can have generator issues requiring diversions (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-1146-a.html), and I can't fault UA for a bird strike. FWIW, the Hawaii 767's were delivered in 2002 - not hardly old by mainline fleet standards. The interiors are somewhat outdated, but have no bearing on airworthiness. Even with the old 763 ghetto birds now refurbished, there's still worse aircraft to be on for the ride to the islands than N3063-3066.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Something odd here. Take a look at the flight tracks. The diversion to IAH does not appear to be an action based on some sudden inflight problem; certainly not a problem which would prevent extended over land operation. Perhaps a problem which would prevent safe ocean crossing that only IAH is equiped to repair.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...750Z/KIAD/PHNL
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Since it's a CO bird, the tech ops people and parts may have been at IAH and not ORD.
Hmm... possible there was a known but flyable issue with the 767 that IAD could not handle, so the diversion to IAH was pre-planned?

As for bird strikes, I was also delayed several hours out of IAH a couple weeks ago due to a bird strike on my inbound coming into IAH. What's with the birds there? Any work planned to clear them out?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriot, Hertz
Taking this flight in January to start a long awaited vacation. It would be pretty lousy to get diverted on the way only to arrive hours later.

BTW... Someone mentioned the entertainment system on these planes. What exactly do they provide in BF?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rockabutzer
Taking this flight in January to start a long awaited vacation. It would be pretty lousy to get diverted on the way only to arrive hours later.

BTW... Someone mentioned the entertainment system on these planes. What exactly do they provide in BF?
There's a small personal monitor with shows cycling about every 2.75 hours. There are about 15 channels with mixed content of movies, tv shows, etc. there are several music channels and games that could be played.

The tv is tiny and the resolution is bad with a lot of interference/noise. If I were you, I would try to bring my own entertainment and watch something on the plane only if my equipment die.

Power needs emPower and is hit or miss. (It was not working last week, but worked several times in the past for me).

Last edited by 1KHI; Dec 18, 2012 at 2:05 am Reason: To correct sbm12 comment below
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1KHI
Power needs a cigaret adaptor and is hit or miss.
It is the emPower plug, not a cig lighter.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is the emPower plug, not a cig lighter.
That's correct, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.