Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible executive suite shake-up [Confirmed.]

Possible executive suite shake-up [Confirmed.]

Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by xzh445
When you wrote "top to bottom....within the organization", one can only presume that is what you meant. It is the comtimued subtle inuendo put out there to give the false imperssion that it is "all CO" and thus support the call for heads to roll. While it makes great hyperbole and works to support one's worldview, it is just not factual.
Fair point. I hold that the "Continentalization" was widespread at the executive level, but, of course, lots of legacy UA staff remain below that level. However, since those legacy UA staff can presumably keep their jobs by obeying orders from the individuals brought in from CO, the CO influence is disproportionate to the number of heads from UA vs CO remaining in the overall organization.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Fair point. I hold that the "Continentalization" was widespread at the executive level, but, of course, lots of legacy UA staff remain below that level. However, since those legacy UA staff can presumably keep their jobs by obeying orders from the individuals brought in from CO, the CO influence is disproportionate to the number of heads from UA vs CO remaining in the overall organization.
You need to talk to some people that work at Willis Tower. Take a large sample. It cuts both ways. ESPECIALLY at the Manager to Managing Director levels. There are a lot of legacy CO people in the exact same situation you describe, in fear for their livlihood and biting holes in their tongues. Man, am I glad I don't work in that environment.

Frankly, they all need to "break off the review mirrors" and start looking forward, but there are "kingdoms to maintain". Too many mid-level people with the "this is the was WE (insert legacy carrier here) did it" mentality looking to put their mark on the way things are run. They need to stop thinking of each other as enemies, and start focusing on their rival in ATL that is eating their lunch. Hitting on all turbines
That shakeup reported in the news is reverbreating down many levels. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Re: "Continentalization" I read many things in this forum that get attributed to COdbaUA that never occured at CO. e.g. The current boarding process. That is a mess, but it's not the way CO boarded.....yet gets proclaimed as COdbaUA boarding here. Back to front, at this point, would probably be an improvement, but let's not digress.

Last edited by xzh445; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Thank you. I fit your profile of valid judgers.
So do I. I would argue that CO began slipping under Gordo at the end, accelerated under Larry and went into freefall under Jeff.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Example 3: I recently posted about my last irrops experience which included both poor operational performance and bad customer service. Those are precisely the two metrics that is is blaming on others and demanding they leave for (i.e. scapegoating). If you read the details of my post, it's absolutely clear that every single bad thing that happened during my 25 hour flight delay was caused by systemic organizational factors - either by SHARES or by policies put into SHARES by his executive team or by complete and overall organizational dysfunction. These failures in operational performance and customer service had nothing whatsoever to do with the front-line employees, and yet, that's who he wants to blame.
Agreed. While there is a learning curve and dysfunction associated with the use of the archaic SHARES system. I believe the root cause of the low employee morale and customer frustration is the "no help for you" policies that re programmed into SHARES. That is not a front line issue, but an issue from the top of the organization.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Bonehead
If I was the lead dog in a customer-service-oriented company, you had better believe that employees who demonstrated a disdain for my customers would be shown the door if they didn't rapidly improve their attitude. I think my good employees would get that.
Originally Posted by alex_b
Look at the high flying consultancies, they fire the lowest performing 5-10% of their staff a year, it ensures that you don't build up dead wood and that you keep the organisation fresh. Now it may not be the type of employer that everyone would like to work for, but it certainly improves performance in large companies.
Absurd comparison -- UA isn't a consultancy loaded with highly-paid brainiacs, it's a service provider loaded with low-paid randoms. In the latter case you get high-performing teams via tactics other than threats and firings. Southwest Airlines and The Four Seasons don't top the service-quality rankings by firing 10 percent of their workforce every year. You prevent "disdain for my customers" from sinking in by hiring carefully, managing to inspire, and giving the workers a stake in the fate of the enterprise.

I am not defending the UA workforce by any means. One thing that comes through loud and clear, from call center experiences to gate agents to cabin service, is that the employees are barely managed at all. They can do whatever the hell they want without reprisal. But the answer is not to scapegoat them, threaten them, badmouth them, wish in public for them to go away, etc. but build a genuine service culture. This UA has not managed in decades (service goodness comes from individual worker initiative, often workers + customer against management / policy)... and Smisek shows no interest in attempting.

In a long-ago thread asking who we'd like to see replace Smisek as CEO I suggested Jeff Bezos of Amazon - a guy who understands service culture and the importance of customers. I still think it'd be fascinating to see. Smisek, at any rate, is not the guy. He's about as inspiring as a North Korean missile test.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And he was fingering sUA staff
he's doing WHAT to his staff?!

HR people look away...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Absurd comparison -- UA isn't a consultancy loaded with highly-paid brainiacs, it's a service provider loaded with low-paid randoms. In the latter case you get high-performing teams via tactics other than threats and firings. Southwest Airlines and The Four Seasons don't top the service-quality rankings by firing 10 percent of their workforce every year. You prevent "disdain for my customers" from sinking in by hiring carefully, managing to inspire, and giving the workers a stake in the fate of the enterprise.

I am not defending the UA workforce by any means. One thing that comes through loud and clear, from call center experiences to gate agents to cabin service, is that the employees are barely managed at all. They can do whatever the hell they want without reprisal. But the answer is not to scapegoat them, threaten them, badmouth them, wish in public for them to go away, etc. but build a genuine service culture. This UA has not managed in decades (service goodness comes from individual worker initiative, often workers + customer against management / policy)... and Smisek shows no interest in attempting.

In a long-ago thread asking who we'd like to see replace Smisek as CEO I suggested Jeff Bezos of Amazon - a guy who understands service culture and the importance of customers. I still think it'd be fascinating to see. Smisek, at any rate, is not the guy. He's about as inspiring as a North Korean missile test.

Sorry, I was responding specifically to the point that you can't improve anything by getting rid of people, which is clearly untrue.

You are absolutely right (and if you look at my other post earlier today I said as much) that you achieve this by "hiring carefully, managing to inspire, and giving the workers a stake in the fate of the enterprise", but all of the carrots also need to come with a stick too. At the moment any improvements that could be brought about by positive management action seem likely to be derailed by embittered long-term staff who seem to mainly be marking time. When things have become really bad there does need to be a level of clearing out along with the incentives; although you're also right that I see no evidence of any of this coming from the current leadership.

As for hiring Bezos, I've found Amazon's CS to be extremely mixed and whilst their IT platform is fantastic for CS, he doesn't have the background for an in-person service company. UA should be looking to one of the big hospitality players who have managed to provide a really strong CS proposition with a US workforce: Carnival, Disney Resorts, Four Seasons (perhaps even Fridays).
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well.... for too many folks on FT, a "great airline" would be one where they always get their upgrades no matter what, etc. I too would always like to get an upgrade (but also know if that's what I expect I should pay for a seat up front), but I would much prefer United stay in business. Mr. Smisek's discussion on the video that many have seen about "TOD" [sic] upgrades and how upgrades for elites have to be balanced with actually making money was excellently done.
Hey I have not run an airline before But I can run the numbers and last quarter UA's profit from Operations was $14M as I recall. They are consistently under-performing in PRASM post 3/3, and had they hit DL or AA's revenue growth numbers it would have been roughly another $550M per quarter in revenue. Assuming this quarter is similar (and their under-performance is the same) that is about $1.6B in lost revenue.

Put bluntly UAL has sucked on the revenue side post 3/3. I can't draw a straight line from individual major changes (SHARES/MP changes/TODs/cross-fleeting/branding) to loss of revenue, but its hard at this point to blame ONLY the poor on time performance in June/July as the numbers are still bad. Now folks get the Ax, looks to me that the happy talk about how "TODs are great, they make us money" just might add up. Just saying.

Originally Posted by milepig
Let me get this straight - they fired the guys responsible for Marketing and Distributing the STUPID decisions made my management, rather than those who made the studid decisions. Classic.
I would expect nothing less. Decisions were made. Yes Jeff participated in them, and I assume agreed with them. However, if those decisions are not going so well, I would expect in any organization that the folks who pushed those decisions/strategy are the first to get the Ax. The head guy/gal then sees if they can turn the ship in part/whole. If what is said here - that Bergason was the "all passangers are equal" guy - then he is a good one to fire

Originally Posted by JetAway
I view this as positive news (except for the dismissed individuals) and now think 2013 will be a very good year for 1Ks.
I would not go that far. People change but what does it mean? Objectively, UAs ads/marketing/promos/branding are awful. Does anyone think they are good? If this is just "sell the same product, but better" then its what it is, and I don't think it will have that much impact.

On the other hand if this is a "our approach of treating every transaction individually and trying to maximize revenue on that transaction is not working" decision then perhaps things get better.

But until I hear an announcement of how UA is going to change, I am NOT counting my chickens.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by alex_b
Disney Resorts
UAGS agents and former CO Concierges underwent a customer service training program developed by Disney earlier this year, and a similar regimen will be conducted out systemwide for all customer-facing employees in 2013.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EWR764
UAGS agents and former CO Concierges underwent a customer service training program developed by Disney earlier this year, and a similar regimen will be conducted out systemwide for all customer-facing employees in 2013.
The former UA CS VP was from Disney, but they canned her and went with the CO person in that spot. I think she landed at Allstate.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I believe UA hired their head of customer relations from Disney a few years ago (Barbara Higgins, I think). She managed to stay for about 18 months before running, not walking, from UA. I recall an article where she said UA was not serious about change.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by xzh445
So when one reads.. we can only assume that means ANYONE fitting those criteria, regardless of whether their underwear has a globe or tulip insignia? Or is it code speak for "get rid of all those "Houston" guys"? Guess what. there are a LOT more "Chicago" guys in those positions than one might be led to believe on these hallowed pages. Be careful what you wish for.
I think shaking things up at this point is good. What is in place isn't working.
What I wrote isn't code. I only speak for myself, but if it were me running this Org, and even as Smi/J said, if "anyone" feel's they cannot change to meet the demands of a new and much larger merged company, they should leave. That means anyone.

But of course we know people won't leave, even if they can't change. I would also add that means they need to "elevate" their game. That's where Foland and Compton come into play. Smi/J did what he needed to at his "direct report" level, now it's up to these two to do the same below them.

I see many more changes coming. Embrace change. To change is to grow. The quicker the better so this company can get on the road to recovery and try to make up some very valuable lost ground. DL, AA and US are trying to do what they can to put UA in their rear-views and are not standing still. Time for the current free-worlds largest airline, UA, to develop some momentum and not let them. Be proud, be loud and scream it from the Mountain tops.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:52 pm

I wonder what the severance package included, perhaps a $million dollars (in the form of a united.com voucher that can't be split), a lifetime* membership to the United Club (*good for the remainder of 2013 only), a fee-waived Explorer card, a lifetime supply of pillows from the surplus shed, and some state of the art headphones?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wondering aloud if we are reading into this the wrong way. Sometimes people, even in an exec capacity, are fired because they made a big mistake on something that to company outsiders might seem small but perhaps was viewed as a critical or strategic initiative within the business.

This could be as insignificant as a missed target with their associated Chase business or the fact that not enough MP members are liquidating miles for things other than airline seats. Looking at who was dismissed, I can only assume they were spending a lot of time on things like this that we hardly even think about (hence the problem). The financial metric declines, at least I would think, are far more rooted in persistent operational failures and questionable yield management practices before an indictment of the loyalty marketing schemes.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 15, 2012 at 9:25 am Reason: off-topic
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
This action would be the biggest indicator (to me) since the merger, that positive momentum has arrived.

I would also count Jim Compton as a good ex-COer.
What position was JC in at CO? What is he now? In what way was he a "good" guy in CO days?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.