Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
Overall Points
  • According to planemechanic on post #134, the WiFi system cuts out if the plane is below 10,000 feet and within China (minus HKG).

--

In-flight WiFi Troubleshooting for FAs
On the 747 there are two switches for this system located in the G2 galley, left side, by door 2LH. If both of these switches are NOT illuminated then the system should be operational. The FA's can toggle the system on and off using those switches, there really is no other troubleshooting that can be done in the air.

The switches are inside a compartment, not normally visible unless the compartment door is open.
Print Wikipost

747-400 with WIFI/IFE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Originally Posted by edcho
The power issue, i'm not so sure about. I hope they address that as well but that maybe an issue that won't be addressed anytime soon (if ever) as that involves seats to be replaced/modified.
Well, the company has indicated that they are going to put power in. And the in-flight amenities tab says it is coming. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that it will happen.
I wasn't aware of that. Good move

Now if that requires new seats, please consider footrests
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I wasn't aware of that. Good move

Now if that requires new seats, please consider footrests
I would think they probably would install these seats to offset the weight increase:

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior...boost-revenue/
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I would think they probably would install these seats to offset the weight increase:

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior...boost-revenue/
they just redid the seats on these aircraft a few years ago...they are actually a fairly padded and comfy economy seat (pitch being another issue). I think the power infrastructure can be added without new seats, probably attached to the support structure behind the calf area.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
IFE finally coming to the 744 in Y?

Checking flight status for somebody today and I noticed this:

Inflight Entertainment:

Premium cabins feature personal on-demand entertainment with movies, television shows, video games and music, and you can also connect your iPod to the LCD monitor. United Economy® features overhead video and audio programming. Or listen to live cockpit communications with air traffic control on Channel 9, a feature that's unique to United. This aircraft will be equipped with satellite Wi-Fi with complimentary wireless streaming content by 2013.
as well as

In-seat power outlets are available in premium cabins. These 110v power outlets accept plugs from the U.S. and other select countries. By the end of 2013, in-seat power outlets are planned to be available on all Boeing 747 aircraft in United Economy.
I don't see why the seatback systems used on the 788 can't be placed on the 744, though if this actually happens on schedule then it's still a major ^.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I don't see why the seatback systems used on the 788 can't be placed on the 744, though if this actually happens on schedule then it's still a major ^.
Cost was a major reason (I forget where I heard that -- maybe on the UADo). They didn't want to spend that much money but atleast put something/some alternative rather than nothing.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cost was a major reason (I forget where I heard that -- maybe on the UADo). They didn't want to spend that much money but atleast put something/some alternative rather than nothing.
Weight is the more likely reason. Those systems are heavy and higher weight means less range.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Well, I hear that it's been installed on one 747 and a few A-319s. Has anyone had the luxury of getting to use it? If so, how was it?

According to the UA website, they plan on installing WiFi on about 25 aircraft each month. Does anyone know when the mass install process will begin? Also, where will the installs take place?

I've been following https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking and there hasn't been much of a change within the past several weeks.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Well, I hear that it's been installed on one 747 and a few A-319s. Has anyone had the luxury of getting to use it? If so, how was it?

According to the UA website, they plan on installing WiFi on about 25 aircraft each month. Does anyone know when the mass install process will begin? Also, where will the installs take place?

I've been following https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking and there hasn't been much of a change within the past several weeks.
I think the upgrades might be delayed because they have to find 787 replacements.

Last edited by ual744777sta; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:15 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Eww. That's a bummer. Well, weren't they going to concentrate on the A320's and the A319's first anyway?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew on an A319 #4004 the other day and asked about Wifi, the FA didn't know about it but checked and sure enough we had wifi. I used my android phone to check it out, I didn't pay for it through. You can use the UA APP and everything there worked. You also get some flight information with a map of where the airplane is, along with estimated time to arrival.

I will probably check it out on a longer flight.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Weight is the more likely reason. Those systems are heavy and higher weight means less range.
Right.....Those systems are only heavy on United's B747 but not on
DL, CX, JL, BA, SQ.....etc...

From this point of view.....
I guess UA should just get rid of those systems on B757 so those flights can fly between Europe and US without stops.

Last edited by pigx5; Jan 27, 2013 at 7:08 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pigx5

I guess UA should just get rid of those systems on B757 so those flights can fly between Europe and US without stops.
Weight is a concern with every carrier. Different airframe/engine combinations on different routes can be impacted differently.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Originally Posted by pigx5

Weight is a concern with every carrier. Different airframe/engine combinations on different routes can be impacted differently.
UA has a weight advantage with fewer seats (E+) offset by heavier average passenger.

SQ dropped the 747 last year.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
I've been reading this thread and I think someone mentioned that 747s don't have inflight entertainment or power outlets. Is that correct? I'm flying to SYD via LAX and I'm worried now.

Also, what's with those seats facing toward the rear if the plane on the 747. There are 3 of us in Biz and we chose 2 rear and 1 front facing seat.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I don't want to use my own device. I won't carry a tablet, the laptop is cumbersome, and a phone is too small. During mealtime I like to watch something and very difficult to do that without a mounted screen. Very dissapointing if this is UA's solution.

Originally Posted by lensman

Yes, and the complexity of the in-seat controls with hardwired connections to the hardware under the seat in front of you plus mounting of the display/touch sensitive screen. Maintenance of said units, etc.
Most of the new systems do completely away with in-seat controls in favor of touch screen. It's pretty simple installation really, and a touch screen is just fine for Y (always within reach)

Originally Posted by icydog
I've been reading this thread and I think someone mentioned that 747s don't have inflight entertainment or power outlets. Is that correct? I'm flying to SYD via LAX and I'm worried now.

Also, what's with those seats facing toward the rear if the plane on the 747. There are 3 of us in Biz and we chose 2 rear and 1 front facing seat.
Nothing in coach. In business you'll be fine. Not sure what you are asking about the seats. Yes some are rearward facing....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.