Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Response to Emirates new ORD-DXB Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS

Starting August 5th, Emirates will begin daily 777-200LR service from ORD to DXB. About 90% of my UA miles are from flying Chicago to the Middle East.

How will United respond? They do not have much to offer, other than perhaps short term price or double miles promotions.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
ERJ-145XXXXXR. United operated by ExpressJet Arabia.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Extra Q400s operating from ORD to IAD, so you can get to Dubai via ORD-IAD-DOH-DXB. Passengers purchasing Global First(sm) tickets will be eligible for "first class" seating on the Q.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FC ORD
Starting August 5th, Emirates will begin daily 777-200LR service from ORD to DXB. About 90% of my UA miles are from flying Chicago to the Middle East.

How will United respond? They do not have much to offer, other than perhaps short term price or double miles promotions.
Since there are already a few options to get to the Middle East from ORD, what's keeping you on United? What COULD they do that would make you fly them instead of an Emirates nonstop?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
This has virtually nothing to do with DXB, it's mainly about business to and from the Indian subcontinent, a few other parts of Asia and parts of Africa.

EK will pick up more of this traffic, just like they do everywhere else they fly.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I presume EWR-DXB would be higher on the list than ORD-DXB, especially for the moment with no direct competition from EK. Probably a good 787 route.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Nothin. IAD-DXB exists because of Buy America rules.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Exactly. You know who has to worry about EK, it's great premium product and growing map? It's CX, SQ, LH.................not UA.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
You understand that QR, EY, TK, and even RJ all already fly to ORD? Why would EK merit a response where no other carrier has merited one?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I presume EWR-DXB would be higher on the list than ORD-DXB, especially for the moment with no direct competition from EK. Probably a good 787 route.
I agree. Or a 787 from ORD. But of course that would never happen. Its a change we all would like!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Once AirIndia joins Star, UA can code-share on their ORD-DEL service and have a very powerful pre-empt against the ME3
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Why do people think UA needs to "respond" to every new flight that gets put on the schedule? United needs to wory about their own flights and their own business plan, not everyone else's.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why do people think UA needs to "respond" to every new flight that gets put on the schedule? United needs to wory about their own flights and their own business plan, not everyone else's.
When selling a product, supply and demand determines your market and your potential value proposition to customers changes with the fluctuation in the supply or demand. Thus if competition isn't part of their business plan algorithm then they are in trouble.

Every route and every city I'm sure it won't affect, but I would expect there are a significant amount that it would.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
+1
UA doesn't compete with EK. This is like asking what Chevrolet is going to do in response to the latest model from Aston Martin. Totally irrelevant.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
+1
UA doesn't compete with EK. This is like asking what Chevrolet is going to do in response to the latest model from Aston Martin. Totally irrelevant.
I take it you haven't flown economy on EK before. If I needed to get from ORD to DXB, I would happily connect at IAD and fly United knowing I could get an E+ seat (and a chance to get upgraded). With EK it's a bit of a crapshoot depending on what aircraft you get, but they pack 10 across on the 777 versus 9 on United and seat pitch is generally not as generous.

The 'foreign flagged airlines are better than US airlines' belief seems to come only from people who can afford premium cabins. I had a wonderful flight on Qatar once in C... probably the best meal I've ever had on a plane. And on the return trip in Y I was longing for United. And SQ, which everyone raves about - the Y seat is one of the least comfortable I've found.

I realize it's FT and nobody wants to admit they fly economy, but many of us do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.