Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA blocks Third Party Sites (TripIt Pro/Award Wallet/etc.) from Accessing M+ Accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA blocks Third Party Sites (TripIt Pro/Award Wallet/etc.) from Accessing M+ Accounts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Facilitating 3rd party access only makes it easier for security breaches. No exec at UA would want to accept that risk.

Is this decision related at all with the marketing executive management shakeup?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Facilitating 3rd party access only makes it easier for security breaches. No exec at UA would want to accept that risk.
Red herring.

They are happy to facilitate the access if the 3rd party pays for such access. And the same risk exists either way.

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Is this decision related at all with the marketing executive management shakeup?
Unlikely, IMO.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by sbm12
Red herring.

They are happy to facilitate the access if the 3rd party pays for such access. And the same risk exists either way.

-- SNIP --
Not necessarily a red herring. There are several risk management strategies. One of them being avoidance, i.e. cutting off access to eliminate [or at least greatly reduce] the risk. Another one being retention, i.e. accept the risk but set aside [or charge] enough money to cover the estimated consequences should the risk materialize.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Not necessarily a red herring. There are several risk management strategies. One of them being avoidance, i.e. cutting off access to eliminate [or at least greatly reduce] the risk. Another one being retention, i.e. accept the risk but set aside [or charge] enough money to cover the estimated consequences should the risk materialize.
But if you read the thread, they are not cutting it off to others, ie, UsingMiles, so, IMHO, that argument doesn't really hold water. In addition Award Wallet does not require your password stored on their servers, you can store it locally, and in other cases, AW has created browser add-ons that operate in such a way that you are the only one with your account password.

They claim they are willing to negotiate for access.

If this were about security, they would not permit Using Miles access to their site. Using Miles privacy policy is typical web services boilerplate, with no mention of how they safeguard your 3rd party account info and passwords. In the FAQ, they claim to take security seriously, and then just point to their privacy policy. (Dear Using Miles: Use of data encryption via https does not ensure that my data is being appropriately safeguarded and encrypted on your servers.) I've pointed this out to Using Miles previously, and so far they have just ignored it. They aren't the only ones to suffer from this problem, and it is something you should take seriously before entering all your 3rd party account info on any data aggregation site.

So my conclusion is that this is not about security. This is probably more about who owns your data. United is saying it is not you.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 16, 2012 at 2:20 am
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Red herring.

+1. If security were a real risk, they would fix the PIN problem. My access to AW is much more secure.

At least UA has held out hope of negotiatiing with AW for access. Perhaps the terms are ridiculous, but I'll give UA credit (at least for now) of being willing to provide access on some set of terms, unlike AA and Delta it seems.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Anyone have suggestions for email contacts at United to express displeasure?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:10 am

force mileage plus statement for awardwallet

Anyone know of a way to force the mileageplus system to email you an up-to-date statement? I thought that might be a good way to keep awardwallet more reasonably updated.

Last edited by obuengineer; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:20 am
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Skymiles? May wish to correct that part.

Mods should move this to the awardwallet thread.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:43 am
Company Representative - Superfly

And WN who started it all. Still quite unfortunate that UA has chosen this path.

But let's not forget that UAdbaUA was reasonably aggressive in pushing to stop scraping of its site for various inventory resources. Hardly a COdbaUA moment here.
Gents,

Superfly just launched Superbox, a service that helps you find frequent flyer miles buried in your inbox. Just like TripIt searches for your itineraries, and LinkedIn finds your contacts, Superfly helps you find all your miles and points. We got some early coverage on Skift

We are the only service that supports DL, UA, AA and drumroll...SW.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Jonathan Meiri
CEO Superfly
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:03 am
Company Representative - Superfly

Originally Posted by obuengineer
Anyone know of a way to force the mileageplus system to email you an up-to-date statement? I thought that might be a good way to keep awardwallet more reasonably updated.
No need to forward email to AW, Superfly wil simply search your inbox, much less friction.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Jonathan
CEO Superfly
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
United not supported?

Originally Posted by jonathanmeiri
No need to forward email to AW, Superfly wil simply search your inbox, much less friction.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Jonathan
CEO Superfly
Does not track united, asks you to enter your balance??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.