Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Hotel accomodations for ATC/Weather-related delays?

Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

I had originally planned to travel back home to Houston from Minneapolis on December 10, 2012 on a southwest flight but I decided I needed to get home to Houston earlier for an 8:00am meeting so I used award miles to book flight UA697 and UA1155 MSP-ORD;ORD-IAH.

It was supposed to depart at 6:59pm but the flight was delayed until 7:30 due to late inbound aircraft. Around 7:15pm after all the passengers had deplaned, the gate agent said that there was a maintenance issue for the flight and we did not board until around 7:35 (20 minutes later).

I realize that the weather conditions in Minnesota were not ideal as it was snowing and they had to de-ice the plane but they never mentioned that was the reason for the delay. With that being said, my flight didn't end up leaving as we spent another hour on the tarmac waiting to be de-iced and then being de-iced. I realize that it is outside United's control for Air Traffic Control issues but that wasn't the sole reason for the delay. When I arrived at 8:55pm..my Houston flight had departed roughly 10 minutes earlier at 8:45pm which I would not had missed had there not been a mechanical issue.

Sorry for the long text but my question is, after talking to the rep, her supervisor, and another supervisor, they refused any accommodations or meals saying that she had already told no to other people and that it was only fair for me not to get a room as well. They said their flights show that it was a Air Traffic Control Issue and then they also mentioned that the weather was bad in Minnesota. (Honestly, they just don't want to give me a hotel). My next flight is at 5:00am and i've decided to sleep at the airport (which is probably my own fault) but its a principal thing.

I know I am going to write to united.com/appreciation but I don't understand why they wont' just put me in a hotel room and make my life easier. I'm not even angry that I won't get into Houston on time now I just want a decent night's rest.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 10, 2012 at 4:47 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by dimsume
I had originally planned to travel back home to Houston from Minneapolis on December 10, 2012 on a southwest flight but I decided I needed to get home to Houston earlier for an 8:00am meeting so I used award miles to book flight UA697 and UA1155 MSP-ORD;ORD-IAH.

It was supposed to depart at 6:59pm but the flight was delayed until 7:30 due to late inbound aircraft. Around 7:15pm after all the passengers had deplaned, the gate agent said that there was a maintenance issue for the flight and we did not board until around 7:35 (20 minutes later).

I realize that the weather conditions in Minnesota were not ideal as it was snowing and they had to de-ice the plane but they never mentioned that was the reason for the delay. With that being said, my flight didn't end up leaving as we spent another hour on the tarmac waiting to be de-iced and then being de-iced. I realize that it is outside United's control for Air Traffic Control issues but that wasn't the sole reason for the delay. When I arrived at 8:55pm..my Houston flight had departed roughly 10 minutes earlier at 8:45pm which I would not had missed had there not been a mechanical issue.

Sorry for the long text but my question is, after talking to the rep, her supervisor, and another supervisor, they refused any accommodations or meals saying that she had already told no to other people and that it was only fair for me not to get a room as well. They said their flights show that it was a Air Traffic Control Issue and then they also mentioned that the weather was bad in Minnesota. (Honestly, they just don't want to give me a hotel). My next flight is at 5:00am and i've decided to sleep at the airport (which is probably my own fault) but its a principal thing.

I know I am going to write to united.com/appreciation but I don't understand why they wont' just put me in a hotel room and make my life easier. I'm not even angry that I won't get into Houston on time now I just want a decent night's rest.
Question--do you have status with UA?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Yeah i'm silver and then about to hit Gold with my flight next week.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I know I am going to write to united.com/appreciation but I don't understand why they wont' just put me in a hotel room and make my life easier. ....
because as a ATC/weather issue they don't have to, even if it would make you life easier. Silver (or even Gold) status will not change that.

When there are multiple reasons for a delay, weather will dominate and especially when the weather delay was >2 times the mechanical delay.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:20 pm

Your answer is bolded above. Even 1K's and GS members are being denied rooms and meals as of late. Hate to be the bad news guy but you ain't gonna get much, except p.o.ed even more than you'll be after spending the night @ an ORD terminal. Sorry!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Your answer is bolded above. Even 1K's and GS members are being denied rooms and meals as of late. Hate to be the bad news guy but you ain't gonna get much, except p.o.ed even more than you'll be after spending the night @ an ORD terminal. Sorry!

No worries. At the end of the day, everyone is just trying to do their job. no one is obviously going out of their way to piss me off. Its just a tough situation because I should have just stuck with my original plan, stayed on my original flight and not tried to take a shortcut back home
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
This is where standard credit card trip delay insurance is key.
You never have to worry about paying when stranded.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Really? UA doesn't provide hotel if overnight weather delay?

Is that really true? That UA will just dump me at an airport overnight without providing a hotel if the delay casuing me to miss my connection is weather?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manord
Is that really true? That UA will just dump me at an airport overnight without providing a hotel if the delay casuing me to miss my connection is weather?
None of the USA airlines will provide hotels for most passengers in this situation (some will offer for the premium cabin passengers or higher elites -- 1K/GS in UA's case). They will provide lodging if the airline is at fault.

This is different than the EU rules. Honestly there is probably not enough hotel space at most airports to do this, plus the cost based on domestic ticket prices.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yes that's right. The law in the US does not require airlines to provide accommodations to passengers if delays/cancellations are due to weather and none of them do. UA will do it for 1K's/Global Services..but everyone else is on their own.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Ummm.... UA nor pretty much any other airline pays for your hotel due to overnight weather delay. Only exception would MAYBE be in F or Biz or GS but even then they will often do everything they can not to.

Have you been under the impression all these years that UA would provide this??
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Yes. Delays due to "acts of god", which includes weather, are not compensated by UA or any other airline for that matter. Your best bet if you feel you will misconnect due to weather or another act of god is to work with UA or other air carrier to delay your travel until the next day, which in most cases they will do without a charge provided that seats are available, especially if you are starting a trip from your home town when the weather is an issue.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yeah, this is nothing new...this is one of the reasons to take advantage of travel wavers during bad weather.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
As others have noted, the answer is no. This topic is often-discussed with multiple threads, including this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-delays.html
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by scruffair
Ummm.... UA nor pretty much any other airline pays for your hotel due to overnight weather delay. ....
Originally Posted by ddrost1
Yes. Delays due to "acts of god", which includes weather, are not compensated by UA or any other airline for that matter. ....
However the EU does require hotels if over night weather delay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.