Preferred companion access: companion(s) on same PNR
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 Lifetime miles minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 70 lbs./32 kg
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Economy Saver Awards: Yes
Free Same Day Change: Yes

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Archive: United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
If the flight shows as upgrade available then yes you can lock that in advance with the 20k miles to first class. It’s not for E+. This means United has allowed space in a special category called PZ (you’ll read a lot of it here).

if there is no space you are on the waitlist: I think it takes them but you get it back if no upgrade. Be careful if there are multiple flights on the trip because it will take them even if one say one short flight clears.

what is happening here is you are paying for the upgrade with an “instrument” in this case miles but there are other types called Plus Points that 1K and GS get /can gift.

the waitlist is the same as the complimentary one but you are now much higher up the list than you were before and have a much better chance of clearing to first.
zoechow and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you want to guarantee E+, buy a subscription.

Don't expect upgrade (to the front of the plane, be it domestic first class or business class). Even with miles + copy, priority waitlist ranking for Silver is not in your favor. Does it happen? Sure...even sometimes instant with positive upgrade space, but it is not the norm.

Also, adhere to your company expense policy. My company prohibits paid upgrades and seat subscriptions with company funds. Your company policy may vary.
zoechow likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: Chase, United
Also, if you offer to pay the 20k miles to upgrade, does that put you ahead of those who would upgrade for free, on some kind of list? And, if so, I take it this increases the likelihood?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:04 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by zoechow
Also, if you offer to pay the 20k miles to upgrade, does that put you ahead of those who would upgrade for free, on some kind of list? And, if so, I take it this increases the likelihood?
Depends what you mean by free, you are ahead of the Complementary upgrades, but behind the Plus point (higher elites get an allocation of these) supported upgrades.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As a Siver, worrying about upgrades should not be high on your list. First Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) (mostly just Northern American flights and not East Coast to Hawaii or EWR/SFO or LAX) for Silver can not occur before checkin and rarely occurs and not on hub-to-hub flights. For long-haul, Silver rarely clear. All those preboarders and BG 1 are ahead of you and there is no where enough upgrade space for them.

So focus on your free E+ at check-in for you and a companion, complimentary 70 lb checked bag, BG2, extra mileage earning, .... And realize all those in BG3, 4, 5 and 6 envy you and wonder why you are so special.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
A small sweet spot as a Silver is non hub to hub leg upgrades. I use MSP and frequently get CPU to ORD. Ya I know short flight but it makes me all warm and fuzzy....
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:23 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Just to clarify, E+ seating is not an upgrade. Upgrade is from economy /economy plus cabin to first class cabin. As a silver you are quite unlikely to get a CPU (complimentary premier upgrade) so if you want first class seating either buy it or buy an economy fare and request the upgrade with points/miles and hope for the best. Be aware that UA usually delays processing mileage upgrades until shortly before the flight, so expect to stay in "waitlist' status for a while. If the requested upgrade does not clear you stay in the cabin and seat you selected at purchase.

If you must have an E+ aisle seat, then buy it at the time of your purchase. On popular, elite heavy routes E+aisle seats are often gone by the time you are checking in for your flight.
jsloan, zoechow and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But say you can expense any economy ticket, and you are very picky about seats, that is, willing to pay to make as sure as possible to get E+ and in particular an aisle E+. Is this so easy that I should buy regular E rather than E+ and just expect all to be well at check in?
If “any economy ticket” includes the Economy Plus fares that UA will publish on some routes, then book that and move on with your life. (Economy Plus is not always marketed as a separate fare, because it’s technically not — it’s a seat assignment within the Economy cabin). But I’d check my expense policy very carefully before I did that.

In the rather unlikely case that Premier Instant Upgrade space is available (you can find it in Expert Mode; if PZ>0, it’s available), then any purchase of a Y/B class fare can immediately be upgraded to First Class on complimentary upgrade routes (the ones WineCountryUA spelled out). These Economy Plus fares, when offered, usually count as B class fares. Note that Y/B fares are often considerably more expensive than just purchasing the first class seat — this perk is intended to appeal to people whose travel departments still operate in 1987 and insist upon fully unrestricted tickets for all travel, but who don’t allow first class travel even if it’s cheaper.

Also, is there some way to know in advance about the possibility of immediate upgrade, as rare as that is supposed to be?
See above for Premier Instant Upgrades. For the regular Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs), you will see a list in the flight status a couple of days before travel.

oops - now I see -- manage booking shows that free upgrades automatically requested -- presumably, it would also say if they immediately cleared, so they did not.
As mentioned, for Silver members, CPUs aren’t eligible to clear until 24 hours prior to departure.

Still, should I have bought a fully refundable E (rather than E+) just to see if that immediately clears? (I just bought and so could easily cancel)
See above.

Ok, now I see that the fare search allows to specify an interest in upgrades. But I'm now confused at what I see there. When selecting, it quotes a 20k mileage amount and also says "upgrade waitlist". If I click through to get to the point of about to choose seats, one of them I chose says "upgrade available" (I am assuming this is what I will pay miles for) and the other still says "waitlist".)

I might be willing to pay those miles.

Do I have that right: if it says upgrade available and quotes mileage amount, I am locking in the upgrade at purchase?

And, if it says waitlist and quotes a mileage amount -- what? It will charge me the miles but maybe upgrade? It won't charge me the miles until I upgrade, and if I fail I'm stuck with a regular E seat?
It sounds like this is a connecting flight? If it says “Upgrade available,” the upgrade would clear immediately on that segment. If it says “Upgrade waitlisted,” you’d have to wait until / unless that clears. If it doesn’t clear — entirely possible — then you’d have whatever your existing seat was. SOP is to charge the entire number of miles upfront and then refund it if no segments clear.

If you buy Economy Plus as a separate purchase, and you also use miles to upgrade, the Economy Plus fee will be refunded if the upgrade clears. That is not the case if you buy one of the flights that is marketed as being an “Economy Plus ticket” during the purchase process.

Yes, except that once it gets within 5 days of travel, CPUs for Global Services members would be above your mileage upgrade.

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
If you must have an E+ aisle seat, then buy it at the time of your purchase. On popular, elite heavy routes E+aisle seats are often gone by the time you are checking in for your flight.
That’s the best way to guarantee it, certainly. On routes where there are a few Premier members who do get upgraded, they’ll often get upgraded from desirable seats, so there is an argument for waiting in those cases, but it’s definitely not a guarantee.
zoechow and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zoechow (Post # 1)
I am newly silver, and extremely inexperience. Past advice has been not to expect upgrades, and that the benefits are free E+ at checkin , free bag, and BG2.

But say you can expense any economy ticket, and you are very picky about seats, that is, willing to pay to make as sure as possible to get E+ and in particular an aisle E+. Is this so easy that I should buy regular E rather than E+ and just expect all to be well at check in? . . .
​​​​
Still, should I have bought a fully refundable E (rather than E+) just to see if that immediately clears? (I just bought and so could easily cancel)
Originally Posted by SeamusSA (Post # 10)
Just to clarify, E+ seating is not an upgrade. Upgrade is from economy /economy plus cabin to first class cabin. . . .

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post # 11)
That’s the best way to guarantee it, certainly. On routes where there are a few Premier members who do get upgraded, they’ll often get upgraded from desirable seats, so there is an argument for waiting in those cases, but it’s definitely not a guarantee.
As indicated above, the ability to obtain an E+ aisle seat at check-in depends initially on how many higher status MileagePlus™ Premier members are on the plane. Remote flights on less popular days of the week have a better chance.

As a long-time Silver, I usually check in as close to 24 hours prior to departure as possible. If there is no E+ aisle seat available, I will keep my regular "E-" aisle seat. Then I frequently check the seat map, looking for E+ aisle vacancies caused by higher status Premier members who got upgraded. The more often you check, the greater your chances.
jsloan, kalo93406 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: United Gold
If you want the E+ aisle seat and can get it reimbursed, just buy it. It will give you additional PQP to help you get to Gold next year and you won't have to check the seating chart constantly starting at 24hrs out waiting for a space to open up. I spent a lot of time checking and rechecking for an E+ aisle or window to open up when I was Silver. Enjoy your free checked bag, group 2 boarding, and the priority bag tag that may or may not mean your bag comes out early.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and zoechow like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: hahaha
2024-03-01 UA*Silver New Benefits: Priority check-in (AC, LH Group),boarding-AC Zone3

Did Gold and up get a similar email?

Excerpts:

Enjoy additional Silver status benefits when you fly with select airline partners.

Some of your MileagePlus® Premier® Silver member perks are now expanding to additional partner airlines beyond United.

New benefits include:

Getting to your gate faster with priority check-in at the airport when you fly Air Canada, and Business check-in when you fly Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Air Dolomiti or Discover Airlines.

Boarding earlier when traveling on Air Canada as part of zone 3 within the 5 boarding zones.
As an AC elite I am curious where they got the intel that we only have 5 boarding zones lol
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by asovse1
...As an AC elite I am curious where they got the intel that we only have 5 boarding zones lol
Pre-boarding at United is not officially counted as boarding groups (zones). If they did, BG1 would actually be BG6 (after real/pretend extra-timers, military, GSs, those displaying or claiming sub-2 spawn, and 1Ks). Maybe the same w/ AC?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 1, 2024 at 10:32 am
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Seems officially five boarding groups: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...by-zone.html#/
SPN Lifer and asovse1 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I saw the email and initially balked as it started out like typical marketing drivel for existing benefits, but especially as a frequent Transborder flyer, this will definitely be useful. I do SFO-YYZ, for example, 2-4 times per year, and as UA still only flies a redeye (which I can handle ok, the kids not so much) and AC does up to 5x, we often just buck up and fly AC (though after our afternoon flight ended up as a redeye last time, we are taking a break at the moment). So the priority check in and early boarding definitely is something we will end up using.

would be even better to add a free bag to the mix, but hey, I’ll take what I can get.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In the Star Alliance, *Silver have very few formal benefits, but a few carriers add things like priority checkin. This email was informational and not new general benefits. Seems just AC or LH group related, which are UA TATL JV partners (and I think the LH Groups benefit has been there for awhile)
*G benefits are more uniform and better documented.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.