Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by warreng24
Pilot food is different catering than passenger food.

The pilot meals just happened to have the same muffin as the passenger food that day. Coincidences have happened before. Pilot meals tend to be more substantial than passenger meals.
The cooks must have been lazy today. They were exactly the same in both cases, but on a different tray. One was muffin and fruit the other cereal and fruit.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
The pilots have a few choices for meals (8-12 choices) that are selected a few days prior to the origination of the pairing.

Rarely do both of us eat the same thing...
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:12 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by TomA
I'm sitting on the Thursday early morning TPA-ORD flight. 11 of 12 upgrades cleared, leaving only 2F missing from the upgrade list. After taking all of the orders and returning to the galley to prioritize, two people didn't get a meal choice--the breakfast muffin. One of them was 2F. This is TPA, so I'm pretty sure we didn't leave with 10 1Ks.

But what surprised me most? When they blocked the galley and pulled out two meals for the pilots--one of them was a breakfast muffin!

(I will say that the FA on this flight was otherwise fantastic--the service was very very good.)
The pilot and FA meals often mimic the pax meals, especially at outstations. (I've been accused before of "stealing" a pax meal choice, when it was my crew meal, it's quite uncomfortable.)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24
Pilot food is different catering than passenger food.

The pilot meals just happened to have the same muffin as the passenger food that day. Coincidences have happened before. Pilot meals tend to be more substantial than passenger meals.
And per their contact pilots can select SPML's not normally available to the passengers. Can you imagine eating the chicken wrap 3x a day!?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Last few flights I've been on and even in the back of the F cabin I've been given two choices. Today she seemed to take GS/1K orders first and then the rest of the cabin. I was in 5A. She took my order and then went to the other side of the aircraft to 5F and then came back to take 5B's order where he wasn't given a choice. The FA was fantastic and checked on us multiple times during the flight. I like that they prioritize GS and 1K. It's nice having a choice and not having to sit in the front couple rows. lol, I can't imagine eating the chicken wrap every day!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:57 pm

I had the most interesting order taking this week. The FA, after all pax boarded, basically said, "attention all first class passengers."

He then proceeded to say here are the meal choices. If you want A, raise your hand, if you want B, raise your hand. Meal ordering completed in 10 seconds. Though, kind of sucked when they delivered the meal and then had to ask me what I wanted to drink later - kind of defeated that meal order process.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:14 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Why can't they just go front to back and prioritize!!!???
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Liz
Why can't they just go front to back and prioritize!!!???
^ From your mouth to God's ear!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
LAX-OGG today. I traded 2b for 4F so some honeymooners could sit together. The FA informed that all they had left was the chicken wrap when she got back to me (I am 1k). I just chuckled and thought of this thread.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
I've generally noticed as a 1K that the FA will only take a single choice from me (regardless of where I'm sitting), while others in FC will be asked for "first and second choices, please". For the most part, it seems like the process is working. Denver19, I've also had the "seat swap translates to status swap" situation!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by denver19
LAX-OGG today. I traded 2b for 4F so some honeymooners could sit together. The FA informed that all they had left was the chicken wrap when she got back to me (I am 1k). I just chuckled and thought of this thread.
Another reason to not change seat
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Another reason to not change seat
Or say, "Sure I'm happy to swap but please let me check with and inform the FA first." Then make sure the seating chart gets changed.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

on a sCO Transcon this past Friday, orders were taken from GS and 1K, then front to back.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Originally Posted by halls120
on a sCO Transcon this past Friday, orders were taken from GS and 1K, then front to back.
That has been happening a lot recently. I'm not complaining, but did notice the change. When not done that way they ask other F passengers for their first and second choice, but I've only ever been asked for one choice in that situation.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Mrs CO FF (Silver) and I (Gold) flew ORD-LAX in paid F yesterday, on a dinner flight.

Meal orders were taken in a bizarre fashion: Row 5 (F-A), Row 4 (F-A), Row 3 (A-F), Row 1 (A-F), Row 2 (A-F). They ran out of one of the choices after 1E picked.

Interestingly, the cleared upgrades were 5A, 4B, 3 A/B/E, 2B, 1F - I have no idea whether there were GS/1K pax aboard, but the FA did say to 2B that "I see you are trying to move higher this year".

The FA was NOT doing the "1st choice/2nd choice" option. Fortunately, we wanted what was left when we were given our (non-)choice...but it was very frustrating b/c I picked row 2 in part for meal choice.

Anyone seen that before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.