Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I guess on the page this really doesn't work as it wasn't a person screaming story, but hearing and seeing the body language and tone would make anyone cringe. The woman sitting next to him made eye contact with me and you could see the look in her eyes.
I've passed on posting some DYKWIA stories because, unfortunately, it's just so hard to convey tone/attitude in some cases. Maybe what the person said wasn't too terrible, but the way they said it was so entitled/demanding that it was really noticeable. Same thing for FAs -- sometimes poor service just means that their attitude was that they think you're an idiot and they'd rather be doing anything else than interacting with you right at this moment. That doesn't make for a great story, though.

All that being said, in this case I'd say that following FAs around the cabin is really weird, as is making passive aggressive comments (or... aggressive aggressive comments?) about helping people...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Given the variety of posts from people complaining about ridiculous things, I'd say the world's highest concentration of United DYKWIAs is FT.
The Financial Times????? Maybe The Economist readers...

I'd say that for some reason, DYKWIAs seem to congregate around FTers.

I'll out myself. At the gate, they start to board and there are two seats open in F and I am #2 on the UGL. I go to the counter and ask if they are going to clear. She says that she has cleared them all. I update the app and I don't see me move? I give her a quizical look. She looks at my app.... I'm at the wrong gate....

Days like that are what help me not jump to full A-hole when I 'know' I'm right.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by PushingTin

I'll out myself. At the gate, they start to board and there are two seats open in F and I am #2 on the UGL. I go to the counter and ask if they are going to clear. She says that she has cleared them all. I update the app and I don't see me move? I give her a quizical look. She looks at my app.... I'm at the wrong gate....

Days like that are what help me not jump to full A-hole when I 'know' I'm right.
That is so funny. Thanks for sharing !
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:21 pm

Borderline DYKWIA - Feb EWR-HKG

I was boarded in the Group 1 with loads of MMs. A slight delay of the flight already irked almost half of the group 1s.

After I boarded, my seatmate already started mocking the UA service, the food/steak(especially because the the lower feed quality leading to declining beef grades, so on and so forth). Afterwards, the seatmate across from his aisle agreed, and row 2 and row 3 also gave some laughs. I could see a lot of paid D, C, and J fares, and at least ten people are in MM in that flight.

The FA did all they could to try to dodge the bullets, and my seatmate kept mocking them throughout the entire meal service. I knew the FAs were acceptable in that flight, thanking me for being loyal with UA, but the guy just kept whining all flight long...

My beef with that was they could have been a bit more diplomatic and reasonable. Guess what? Maybe I couldn't really blame him.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin
I'm at the wrong gate....
Just another Do You Know Where I Am story.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by #10
Hilarious!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by #10
"Who am I and why am I here...."

When DYKWIA ends with a question mark... and an awkward silence.

I've had just enough moments since making 1K to almost make me humble.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If that guy is going to gripe the entire flt, sorry it was his own fault booking UA. He knew what he was getting when he bought his ticket. After about the third gripe I would have asked him to give it a break.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1
If that guy is going to gripe the entire flt, sorry it was his own fault booking UA. He knew what he was getting when he bought his ticket. After about the third gripe I would have asked him to give it a break.
Yes, it's the passengers fault for having booked travel on a {poor} airline.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2015 at 12:53 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yes, it's the passengers fault for having booked travel on a "poor" [and that ain't "person of size"] airline.
It is, if he continues to fly on the same "poor" airline and knew this prior to flying UA. If this was his first flt on UA, I'm with the guy griping.

If he is a FF on UA and has flown with them over the past few years. After three gripes - shut up!

FROM OP: After I boarded, my seatmate already started mocking the UA service, the food/steak(especially because the the lower feed quality leading to declining beef grades, so on and so forth).
This leads me to believe the mocker has flown "The Friendly Skies" before. Three gripes and shut up! It is bad enough sitting in a metal tube at 35,000 feet, knowing the service levels, food quality, on-time, etc and having to listen to someone gripe, when he knew prior to booking what UA has turned into.

This is why I try to avoid UA. If I do book UA, I know what to expect and I do not need some Clown sitting next to me reminding me of the failures at the "new UA". Three strikes and the Clown is out.

If this was his first UA flt, I will agree with him and let him know of other failures UA is famous for. It does not appear this was his first cattle car ride on the "new UA".

Last edited by kettle1; Apr 2, 2015 at 1:16 am
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:44 am
HMO

Originally Posted by #10
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
My beef with that...
I see what you did there ^
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I could see a lot of paid D, C, and J fares, and at least ten people are in MM in that flight.
How are you able to tell this?

I'm always curious if PWWIA (people wonder who I am) when I fly BF or F on non-leisure routes.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I was boarded in the Group 1 with loads of MMs. A slight delay of the flight already irked almost half of the group 1s.
Sorry for asking, but what is "MM"?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I could only assume million milers based on normal FT abbreviations but wasn't sure if it really works into the story properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.