Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I think it is worse than "delayed baggage"

At the Gate, you never know whats coming....at least in luggage, you probably are dealing with a small list of issues..

Gate issues

Upgrades
Am I at the right gate/terminal/airport/city
Can I change the seat?
Whats the meal
whats the movie
Is so-and-so on my flight
Have we boarded yet?
Can i inspect the repair
Does the pilot need help today

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I think it is worse than "delayed baggage"

At the Gate, you never know whats coming....at least in luggage, you probably are dealing with a small list of issues..

Gate issues

Upgrades
Am I at the right gate/terminal/airport/city
Can I change the seat?
Whats the meal
whats the movie
Is so-and-so on my flight
Have we boarded yet?
Can i inspect the repair
Does the pilot need help today

Actually funny you should mention that - I forgot about one aspect of the whole thing. The delay meant that the original pilot timed out. The 1K mentioned earlier also was drilling the gate agent about how much more time they had, and the gate agent mentioned that a new pilot had arrived, and he demanded to know whether the new pilot was aware of the mechanical situation too.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Seems like great material for DYKWIA lore...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I think GA is the nastiest job in the business - you can catch people at their worst on BOTH ends of the flight - and since they are landed, they flex their muscle much more - especially if they are at their destination already. Im making extra efforts to recognise good GA performance wherever I can. Just sent one in to UA and got personal response in 12 hours.

I wonder how often this one comes up?
I agree. A few months ago, I was on a flight that went MX and the GAs were doing an outstanding job accommodating passengers as quickly as they could. One DYKWIA in particular was being a real horse's behind, and the GA was beyond professional. After I got my new BP, as I was walking away, I saw a supervisor, so I walked over and told him what I had witnessed, and how professional the GA had been.

Customer service is a thankless job, and we should all recognize the exemplary more often that we do.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Seems like great material for DYKWIA lore...
+1

Would have been sad to learn that SHARES changed his seat to the last row, middle.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain
Originally Posted by villox
You have no idea how many times I thought about interjecting. Especially since he mentioned 3 or 4 times that he was a 1K.

"Sir, I'm a 1K too, and a pilot, and it's not up to you to decide whether the plane is airworthy. I suggest before you insist on delaying this plane full of passengers further to satisfy your ego you spend some time learning how things actually work."

He got plenty of eye rolls instead, from not just me.
I'm a pilot and 1K as well. This guy sounds like an idiot. Kudus to all the staff for not just telling him to stuff it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

Would have been sad to learn that SHARES changed his seat to the last row, middle.
Awesome. A former colleague whose travel I arranged refused to comprehend that a word used to demean a certain segment of society [it starts with 'f'] wasn't perfectly acceptable in everyday parlance. Instead of the aisle seat he selected, he found himself in the middle of a 5-across in the back of a 777 for a packed 14-hour flight.
benewr likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:50 pm

Maybe I'm more confrontational than others, but I would have loved to dress down this moron myself.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:55 pm

In certain situations where I encounter people engaged in general douche-baggery, I have taken to raising my iPhone and pointing it at them as if I am video taping them. I don't even do the taping but rather just pretend as if I am. This seems to let them know that their behavior is drawing attention and pretty consistently causes them to re-think it, often to stop. I certainly recognize this as passive aggressive on my part, but it's more amusing than getting into an altercation. I would have enjoyed 'filming' Mr. 1K.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Ghery
Kudus to all the staff for not just telling him to stuff it.
Wouldn't have bothered me had they done that.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryan-twob
In certain situations where I encounter people engaged in general douche-baggery, I have taken to raising my iPhone and pointing it at them as if I am video taping them. I don't even do the taping but rather just pretend as if I am. This seems to let them know that their behavior is drawing attention and pretty consistently causes them to re-think it, often to stop. I certainly recognize this as passive aggressive on my part, but it's more amusing than getting into an altercation. I would have enjoyed 'filming' Mr. 1K.
^ Good idea.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I think everyone would be much more sympathetic to this 1k if they knew his name: Sully Sullenberger
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by villox
I wrote United because I fear this passenger might have complained about his treatment and thought they should know both sides. I wasn't asking for or expecting compensation but they gave me 7k miles anyway.
That 1K is not the laughing point.

We have seen DYKWIAs. So really nothing's special. Beside, if I was the GA, I would have rebooked that 1K immediately (as he was so fear).

UA gives out miles apparently no reason. So does that mean when we compliment employees now and then we get compensated?

That must be a change that we all like

Originally Posted by waxearwings
I think everyone would be much more sympathetic to this 1k if they knew his name: Sully Sullenberger
He would have been a US DM Chairman instead. 1K?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung

He would have been a US DM Chairman instead. 1K?
He credits his miles to United in order to fly on a dreamliner.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I would have said, "I'm a 1K, and I don't feel safe flying on a plane with another passenger who thinks he is the pilot."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.