Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week I was on a JAX-ORD flight in a CRJ-700. I have 7A with a guy already in 7B taking over the entire middle armrest. Not afraid of being in connect with another person I nudged my arm onto the armrest which resulted with him expanding his territory while "sleeping". When the FA delivered my drink I attempted to pull out the tray which is in the middle armrest which resulted in him expanding his territory again. This went on for 1.5 hours. The flight was about 2 hours 20 minutes. I could not figure out what his issue was until after landing and he retrieved his carry on which had a personalized Diamond Medallion tag with his name on it. I guess that was his method of saying "DYKWIA".
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
GS Early Boarding Dilemma

I've seen a lot of reverse-DYKWIA situations with GS passengers trying to jump the scrum at the beginning of the boarding sequence. They try to get past those of us choking the Boarding Group 1 area, as is their right, and other passengers hassle them for being "rude" -- even though the gate agent just called for GS passengers to board early.

Some GS passengers try to explain why they're boarding first; some ignore the hecklers; some become "gate lice" and are always careful to line up first (which is a lot of time on one's feet). Some don't bother to take the privilege because it's not worth the resentment it causes. And some don't get into the Priority 1 lane at all -- they just dart in from the side, thereby avoiding the scrum.

It's too bad this privilege causes dilemmas for those who try to take advantage of it. If I'm ever fortunate enough to be a GS, I probably won't take it.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by euslaner
On UA 804 IAD-NRT 10/28:

A deadheading pilot (call him DP) was assigned seat 6B (I was in seat 6B). At the gate he was arguing with the GA about why he was not seated in F. Then ultimately he came on board. I had already put my carryon in the bin that partially hung over his seat. He told me rather rudely to move it, that this bin was guaranteed for him. I told him and the crew that the bin over 6C was much more difficult to get to and no one is ever guaranteed any bin space. I said that I would not move my case. He tried to pick it up and the purser said that the pilot would mediate. I never saw the pilot and DP vanished somewhere into F. I was ultimately told that I could keep my bag where it was.

How to build customer service? To have a DP explode at a paying passenger?

I have sent the above to two execs at UA.
I assume you meant in your first paragraph that you were in 6C. Otherwise the story makes no sense.

AFAIC, you put your bags over your own seat. Telling someone else that they can't put their bags over their own seat because it's not convenient for you is rather rude. IMO, you were wrong in this case.

But, yes, having DP trash a passenger is not good PR.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
AFAIC, you put your bags over your own seat. Telling someone else that they can't put their bags over their own seat because it's not convenient for you is rather rude. IMO, you were wrong in this case.
I disagree. Nobody is guaranteed or should have an expectation that their bag always goes above their own seat. Bins are first come first served. If there's an open space near their seat, they can put their bag there. In fact, I usually put my bag across the aisle from my seat so I can keep my eyes on my bag and prevent people from moving my stuff around.

I agree that people shouldn't put their bag in the front of the cabin then walk back to their seat in row 45.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:01 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
It's too bad this privilege causes dilemmas for those who try to take advantage of it. If I'm ever fortunate enough to be a GS, I probably won't take it.
I bet you would. After a bunch of international travel last year they gave me GS (not likely for next year). You can't imagine how good it feels to not have to be part of what someone here called the "scrum" and to not have to worry about gate-checking your bag.

After they scan your ticket at the gate, you walk down a peaceful empty gateway without having to wait for some slow person in front of your while the person behind you is standing on your heels.

You're not having to find a place to put your carry-on because there is nothing in the bins.

You can pull out your stuff and sit down before others enter the plane.

There are other little nuggets that make GS so nice. I think some people resent GS people because they seem to be showing off for everyone else. My favorite thing about it is that you don't have to jostle with everyone else.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
I assume you meant in your first paragraph that you were in 6C. Otherwise the story makes no sense.

When did you make up this policy?

Howste is correct. I was in 6C and there are no rules about where you put your bag, except in your ticketed cabin (unless the crew gives you space elsewhere, which I regularly see).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:16 am

And some don't get into the Priority 1 lane at all -- they just dart in from the side, thereby avoiding the scrum.
I don't understand why they all just don't do this. IME it's 70/30 between swimming up boarding lane 1 or simply entering from the side.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:39 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by tuolumne
I don't understand why they all just don't do this. IME it's 70/30 between swimming up boarding lane 1 or simply entering from the side.
I do this 100 percent of the time now. Much easier.

Once in awhile I get the "I guess this guy doesn't know what a line is" or "Why are you cutting in front of everyone?". I don't bother to respond. I should just give them the finger. (Would that make me a DYKWIA?)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
I disagree. Nobody is guaranteed or should have an expectation that their bag always goes above their own seat.
It's called "common courtesy"
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Unfortunately it's anything but common!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by IADDCA
I bet you would. After a bunch of international travel last year they gave me GS (not likely for next year). You can't imagine how good it feels to not have to be part of what someone here called the "scrum" and to not have to worry about gate-checking your bag.

After they scan your ticket at the gate, you walk down a peaceful empty gateway without having to wait for some slow person in front of your while the person behind you is standing on your heels.

You're not having to find a place to put your carry-on because there is nothing in the bins.

You can pull out your stuff and sit down before others enter the plane.

There are other little nuggets that make GS so nice. I think some people resent GS people because they seem to be showing off for everyone else. My favorite thing about it is that you don't have to jostle with everyone else.
...after your peaceful walk down the empty jetway with the other 10 DYKWIA GS yapping on their phones you all wait for the disabled pax to board at the plane.

The GraSs is the same colour brown on boarding for GS, trust me.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
"Common courtesy" is not making up a rule and chastizing others for not following it--and then challenging their character.

The overhead bin spaces are not marked for anyone in particular (contrary what DP argued) and the bins on the C/D/E/F sides are extremely difficult to reach.

What other rules have you made up? What are your other standards of "common courtesy"? Do they extend to crew? Or are they exempt to you?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
"Common courtesy" or not, the laws of physics dictate that if my bag is in the bin over my seat, that my seatmate's bag cannot occupy the same space, which is over their seat.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Howste
... In fact, I usually put my bag across the aisle from my seat so I can keep my eyes on my bag and prevent people from moving my stuff around....
I'm starting to do this as well. It also reduces the gyrations involved in removing said carryons, which can be critical at my advanced age as the poor bod loses flexibility...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: GS UA+3MM
I've seen a lot of reverse-DYKWIA situations with GS passengers trying to jump the scrum at the beginning of the boarding sequence. They try to get past those of us choking the Boarding Group 1 area, as is their right, and other passengers hassle them for being "rude" -- even though the gate agent just called for GS passengers to board early.
Well this is UA's fault. They offer the benefit, and then make it difficult to use. It is the best GS benefit for me. No overhead space problems, and I dont have to deal with people who sit in my seat thinking I will swap with them.

Usually I get in line first - which somehow annoys people here -- right? But in the event I dont make it, expect me to enter from the side when called.
Not sure why this is a DYKWIA? I am not asking.

Anyone who is unhappy about that can speak to the GA about it.

s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.