Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by TomA
Um... how does 2A knock down 1A on the way to 3BC?
When the DYKWIA in 1A is already sprung into action eyeing the same prize

Watch out for an uncaged DYKWIA on the prowl in the wild.....
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mander
This thread is proof positive that flying 145s is not good for one's mental health.
Perhaps for those who fly. Grinning, as I read it, is quite good for one's health.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Nice one.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
At least you weren't on a CRJ-200.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by Air Houston
At least you weren't on a CRJ-200.
Whenever I've tried to jump up and/or spring into action on a CRJ-200, I've hit my head on the ceiling.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trainman74
Whenever I've tried to jump up and/or spring into action on a CRJ-200, I've hit my head on the ceiling.
^

This happens to many of us on the E-145! (Which I'm about to leave for the airport to board...)
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trainman74

Me too!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS
1K passenger "dictating" mechanical repairs

Last week I was on a United Express flight departing from ORD. We were informed at the gate that during preflight inspection the pilot had noticed a problem with the nosewheel tire and that it was going to have to be replaced, which would take about 45 minutes.

It actually took about an hour and a half. We were boarded. As we were about to depart, the FA came on and said that she had some bad news - there was something they needed to check with the repair and they couldn't do it without us deplaning.

Back at the counter, a fellow passenger could be overheard telling the gate agent that he wanted someone to "double-check" the repair this time. He was very insistent, and said "I'm a 1K passenger so it's not like I don't fly all the time" lest we think he was just being a worried novice.

When we were ready to board again about an hour later, the passenger again went to the counter, where there was a new gate agent as well as a supervisor. He was even more adamant this time, questioning whether someone who hadn't been involved with the original repair had signed off on this repair. The supervisor said there were 3 mechanics down there, and there had been a shift change so there are now new mechanics, and both they and the pilot had accepted the repair.

Mr. 1K then asked if a maintenance supervisor had signed off on the repair and the gate supervisor said this was not required. He said "I'd like you to call a supervisor and have them sign off on the repair. I'm a 1K so it's not like I don't travel often, this is a valid concern." The supervisor was very professional and said that it is simply not required and the crew is accepting the repair. Right then the boarding commenced (and of course, the 1K, assuming he was the most important and/or only 1K on the plane, butted in front of me to board first)

As he walked down the jetway I could overhear him calling United and asking them to make a "notation in the record" that he had requested additional signoff on the repair. Upon landing (safely of course) he started talking to the pilot again about the same thing. He told the pilot that he thought a maintenance supervisor should have signed off on the repair. The pilot said a supervisor actually HAD signed off on it and next time maybe he shouldn't talk about operations with the gate agent.

At all points I thought the employees were very professional. At all points I thought this passenger was completely ridiculous.

For the record, the redo on the repair had to do with a serial number not matching. The wheel was the right kind but when they went to check the paperwork they noticed the serial number did not match and though they could have dealt with the discrepancy later they decided to simply replace it again so that everything matched. This, to me, is evidence of them being incredibly thorough with maintenance.

I wrote United because I fear this passenger might have complained about his treatment and thought they should know both sides. I wasn't asking for or expecting compensation but they gave me 7k miles anyway.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
At all points I thought this passenger was completely ridiculous.
Completely OTT.

Only thing I think the GA could have done if offered accomodation on another flight if he was concerned, but passenger review of repairs is currently only a GS benefit at this time...(sorry)

Last edited by LaserSailor; Dec 4, 2012 at 8:06 am Reason: Deleted part about feedback - missed that OP had done that already! Doh!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Completely OTT. You should cut and paste your post into customer feedback with the flight number if you want this version told, of course

Only thing I think the GA could have done if offered accomodation on another flight if he was concerned, but passenger review of repairs is currently only a GS benefit at this time...(sorry)
Yeah I already did that, as mentioned in my last paragraph.

I do wish they'd been a little more forceful with him - at no time did they give him the impression he was being completely unreasonable. Kudos to them. I'm a lowly private pilot but it especially irked me that this guy can't apply basic logic to a situation - there were people on that plane who fly a heck of a lot more than he does and want to get there safely too - the crew.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
there were people on that plane who fly a heck of a lot more than he does and want to get there safely too - the crew.
+1

The last thing through the crew mind in the event of a crash - the rest of the plane....

I think GA is the nastiest job in the business - you can catch people at their worst on BOTH ends of the flight - and since they are landed, they flex their muscle much more - especially if they are at their destination already. Im making extra efforts to recognise good GA performance wherever I can. Just sent one in to UA and got personal response in 12 hours.

I wonder how often this one comes up?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:14 am

This is why I couldn't be a GA. I would have offered to him to take a different plane or get on this one the way it is. I'm sure that would have sent him over the edge.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by stils
This is why I couldn't be a GA. I would have offered to him to take a different plane or get on this one the way it is. I'm sure that would have sent him over the edge.
You have no idea how many times I thought about interjecting. Especially since he mentioned 3 or 4 times that he was a 1K.

"Sir, I'm a 1K too, and a pilot, and it's not up to you to decide whether the plane is airworthy. I suggest before you insist on delaying this plane full of passengers further to satisfy your ego you spend some time learning how things actually work."

He got plenty of eye rolls instead, from not just me.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Mr. 1K is a complete DB - as if being a 1K has made him an AMT.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I think GA is the nastiest job in the business
Worse than the agent in the "lost baggage" office? Now THAT has to be a totally thankless job.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.