Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Newbie Help - Award Saver + CreditCard Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys i recently started looking into award miles and it's so confusing. What I understand so far:

1) I can use the miles from my mileage plus account to redeem for future tickets. For example a round trip from jfk/pvg earned me ~15k miles, considering the same round trip only cost ~60k miles in Award Saver (~120k miles in Standard Award) , this seems insanely good.

This part is clear to me, i can use the miles I earned from buying plane tickets to redeem future plane tickets, and if I can select Award Saver those tickets can be redeemed at 50% off!!!

2) Now the confusing part are the credit card miles. You have the capital one venture award, chase sapphire, and united mileage plus card. Each offers various miles award for $ spent.

The part i am very confused about: Are those credit card miles EQUAL OR MAP 1:1 to the miles in my mileage plus account?

For example if i have 60k miles in my credit card reward program, can I goto my mileage plus account, then redeem those *CREDIT CARD* miles for tickets using their Award Saver program?

Every help page just says use credit card miles to buy tickets, but i want to know if those credit card miles can be used towards an Award Saver ticket just like mileage plus miles, or are they just $1 off a purchase for every 100 miles (which is same as reward points and no good)

How exactly does the credit card miles link/transfer back into the miles in my mileage plus account? Does each credit card's "miles" have different meaning?

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Welcome to FT, newguy05!

Your credit card miles you've earned by purchases using that credit card (if it's linked to your MP account), should show up in your MP account. You can then use those award miles to "purchase" award tickets. Is that what you are asking?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Welcome to FT, newguy05!

Your credit card miles you've earned by purchases using that credit card (if it's linked to your MP account), should show up in your MP account. You can then use those award miles to "purchase" award tickets. Is that what you are asking?
Hi 6rugrats, yes to purchase Award ***SAVER*** tickets. But my question is how exactly does one link a credit card miles to my MP account? For example if i sign up for capital one venture reward where $1 earns me 2 miles. And lets say now I have 30k miles in my credit card, how exactly can i transfer those 30k miles so they show up in my mileage plus account? to be used to purchase Award Saver tickets.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Capital One Venture miles do not transfer anywhere.

Chase Sapphire Preferred produces Ultimate Rewards points, which you can transfer to your UA account when you log in to the UR site.

When you apply for the Chase United MileagePlus Visa, you provide your UA account number to Chase and all miles are deposited straight into your UA account.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gwar69
Capital One Venture miles do not transfer anywhere.

Chase Sapphire Preferred produces Ultimate Rewards points, which you can transfer to your UA account when you log in to the UR site.

When you apply for the Chase United MileagePlus Visa, you provide your UA account number to Chase and all miles are deposited straight into your UA account.
thank you that's exactly what i was looking for. So capital one's card isnt really that good since it cant be used to purchase those award saver tickets that are 50% off.

Think i will just go with the united mileageplus visa, seems to be the most straight forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.