Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I flew LGA-IAH and then IAH-LAX in August on a 737-800 and 757-200. Both had individual monitors. I received a complimentary upgrade on both flights.

I flew the same route two weeks ago and neither aircraft had individual monitors. I was not upgraded on either flight.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The OP's essential point - that what UA sells as "First Class" is massively variable. Regulars here will know the reasons why, but it's still not clever on UA's part, and even more not clever not proposing to address the issue. Oh! I forgot! UA doesn't really expect to sell the tickets except at very heavy discounts, so it's not on their radar
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TEM3
We are flying DEN to OGG in January. Wondering how that 757 flight is on FC? Never flown that way out before, usually IAH to OGG on a 777.
Huh? A 777 has never flown from IAH-OGG (by ANY airline). More than 5 years ago CO flew a 764 between the 2.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. On the one hand, it would be helpful if UA would harmonize what it means by cabin classes and sticking with the basics, recognizing that a 2-cabin domestic can be substituted for a 3-cabin intl. configuration on any given route any day. A lot less disappointment.

2. Pax also need to get real. If there were a market for wide-body 3-class international-type service on domestic routes, you can be assured that UA would meet that need in short order. But, there isn't. People ask why the premium service from EWR-LHR is nicer than EWR-HNL and the answer is that people won't pay $12K for a ticket to HNL but will do so for LHR.

3. Same thing is true for hopping across the Pacific to NRT via SFO, HNL & GUM rather than non-stop from the East Coast. Look at the price differntial.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
UA has the following premium products:
- domestic first class - 38 inch pitch or so lounge chairs
- business class (same as the above, except when the same plane is scheduled to originate from or lands at a non-USA airport )
- global first class - widest lie flat seats in a plane that has 3.5 cabin classes
- business first class - lie flat or extended pitch (over 38 inches) lounge chairs. On planes with 2 or 2.5 classes, all the lie flat seats are business first. On planes with 3.5 classes, the second widest lie flat seats are business first

2 class: planes with
- economy and one premium cabin (first, business, or business first)
- economy+ and one premium cabin (first, business, or business first)

2.5 class: planes with
- economy, economy+, and business first. The new p.s. configuration for west coast <-> JFK non stop flights

3 class: planes with
- economy+, business first, global first. p.s. configuration that is on the way out

3.5 class: planes with
- economy, economy+, business first, global first. This configuration is holding steady, but enjoy while it lasts

On short haul anything goes as far as plane swaps. On long haul, lie flat can be swapped for extended pitch business first, and vice versa.

Confused yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.