The cause for gate lice?

Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
The cause for gate lice?

Today on UA 705.
First this couple tries to board before GS and military.
Then they clog up a huge 757 bin by themselves putting bags sideways and stuffing coats up there.
Then later it turns out they grabbed whatever seats they wanted none of them was in their seats they had BPs for. But at least they were upgrades into F.
Smells like CC holders.
Of course the FAs didn't get involved at all.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If they were upgraded into F it is much more likely that they are elites rather than CC holders, isn't it? After all, just having a CC doesn't get one an upgrade.

Beyond that, welcome to the world where some people are less polite than others.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The new gate signage is a key driver of gate lice IMO - lacks specifics, is borderline confusing, and funnels too many people into the "special lane"
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Today on UA 705.
First this couple tries to board before GS and military.
Then they clog up a huge 757 bin by themselves putting bags sideways and stuffing coats up there.
Then later it turns out they grabbed whatever seats they wanted none of them was in their seats they had BPs for. But at least they were upgrades into F.
Smells like CC holders.
Of course the FAs didn't get involved at all.
And no one showed up with BPs for the seats "they" were occupying?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
If they were upgraded into F it is much more likely that they are elites rather than CC holders, isn't it? After all, just having a CC doesn't get one an upgrade. .....
Only CC holders that are also elites (premier members) are eligible for award ticket upgrades.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
To answer the question which is posed by the title of the thread: Bad gate agents (cause lice).

Yes there is going to be a percentage (which varies based on opinion) of people who need to be the first on the plane, or need to be most important. Heck just yesterday there was a lice on my flight asking everyone around him if they were GS....and directing people to behind him. What is one to do? - moving on.

Most of these lice would not exist if there was a firm, and consistent enforcement of the boarding rules across the whole network. Some GA's are strict and follow riles to a "T", some just don't care. I am a rules are meant to be followed person (that is just me), and I know that I wouldn't sneak so close to the gate, or line if I was confident the rules set by the airline, would be in forced by the airline.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by BH62
And no one showed up with BPs for the seats "they" were occupying?
Of course. So those people were forced to take the seats those folks had
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Of course. So those people were forced to take the seats those folks had
Not unless they were sheep. I would have demanded that they move. You would have let them squat in your seat?

Originally Posted by Madone59
To answer the question which is posed by the title of the thread: Bad gate agents (cause lice).

Yes there is going to be a percentage (which varies based on opinion) of people who need to be the first on the plane, or need to be most important. Heck just yesterday there was a lice on my flight asking everyone around him if they were GS....and directing people to behind him. What is one to do? - moving on.
Correction: If he was GS and they were not, THEY were the lice and should not have been blocking the entrance. I'm 1k, and if no one is waiting at the carpet, I start the line about a meter behind to allow room for the pre-boarders.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59

Most of these lice would not exist if there was a firm, and consistent enforcement of the boarding rules across the whole network. Some GA's are strict and follow riles to a "T", some just don't care.
Absolutely. Flying JFK-SFO last week they were boarding group 2, the woman in front of me was group 4, the agent explained that they weren't boarding that group yet and then waved here past rather than sending her to the back of the line. I really wish they'd enforce the rules and kick people out of line.
watersign likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by TomA
Correction: If he was GS and they were not, THEY were the lice and should not have been blocking the entrance. I'm 1k, and if no one is waiting at the carpet, I start the line about a meter behind to allow room for the pre-boarders.
You're correct. The GS who goes around asking people whether they're also GS isn't a gate louse, he's just a louse.

Winning at getting on an aircraft first, failing at life.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by TomA

I'm sure those pre-boarders are quite appreciative of that whole 3 feet space that you so generously allow them to squeeze through.

Lining up before your group is called is the definition of gate louse.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
You're correct. The GS who goes around asking people whether they're also GS isn't a gate louse, he's just a louse.

I don't know if I agree. He's aggressive, that's for sure. But I think that is better than just assuming that no one is GS and cutting in the front as I have often seen.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: Alcoholics Anonymous - Platinum, Gamblers Anonymous - Gold
"Gate Lice" - what a rude and crude term.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
I'm sure those pre-boarders are quite appreciative of that whole 3 feet space that you so generously allow them to squeeze through.

Lining up before your group is called is the definition of gate louse.
I guess my response would be that I would exempt Group 1 from that as they are the first "Group".
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jorgen

Should we not take the time for better definition here: those that are pre-pre boarding (i.e., pre-lice) would technically be 'nits', and those GS that roam the preboarding masses asking, are they then not 'nit pickers'?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.