Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
I booked the ticket back in March and the offer came via United website a few days ago. Also curious if tax is included in the $844 offer? ...
Yes, this is an AI (all in) price

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
I'm leaning towards accepting the upgrade.
Call and ask for the upfare pricing, changing the ticket to First -- that will earn more miles and maybe the same price. Note these price upgrade offerings can change at any time, without notice.
Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
$2350 for D! Well I guess not surprising as they run easily around $1500 and up from SFO/LAX
Yes, relative to SFO-HNL, which runs $1600+ if there's no P, that's not bad at all.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Food in First Class

Anyone with recent experience up front on this flight? Is it still just a breakfast flight, or is there a midflight / arrival meal?

I was ready to gnaw off the armrest the last time I took this route in 2017.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Is it still just a breakfast flight, or is there a midflight / arrival meal?
Breakfast and arrival meal a couple of months ago -
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone take this flight recently in coach? My wife and I are 1K's flying in Economy Plus on cheapo award tickets from Turkish Smiles. Not expecting to enjoy the flight, but figure it will be bearable on the 767 in coach. I see that UA is serving a free breakfast on the outbound. I'm not expecting much for a domestic coach breakfast,. Do they do an additional snack, or is it wise to bring along some food? As 1Ks, we're also theoretically entitled to a free sandwich or such, but the website says they don't load any on this flight because there's a free meal. Do they sell the $10 prepackaged snackboxes (which we'd also be entitled to)? That would be nice for the 11+ hour flight!
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Anyone take this flight recently in coach? My wife and I are 1K's flying in Economy Plus on cheapo award tickets from Turkish Smiles. Not expecting to enjoy the flight, but figure it will be bearable on the 767 in coach. I see that UA is serving a free breakfast on the outbound. I'm not expecting much for a domestic coach breakfast,. Do they do an additional snack, or is it wise to bring along some food? As 1Ks, we're also theoretically entitled to a free sandwich or such, but the website says they don't load any on this flight because there's a free meal. Do they sell the $10 prepackaged snackboxes (which we'd also be entitled to)? That would be nice for the 11+ hour flight!
Surprised I received no responses. So here's the deal. The coach food on the flight is dreadful. Bring your own -- enough for 11 hours. Breakfast is a mini warmed croissant with a mini yogurt and a couple of snack packets. The second "meal" was a bag of pretzels. There is no food to buy except a couple of snacks like $5 chips and the bad $10 shelf-stable snack boxes that we at least got for free as 1Ks. Honesty, UA should be embarrassed by this. If they don't want to provide reasonable food for free, they should provide none, tell you this, and sell sandwiches and such.

FWIW, I didn't see any advantage of the bulkhead in Economy+ over the other Economy+ seats on the 767. Emergency exit row has the door that sticks out in front of the window seat that will annoy most. Couples will prefer the 2-seats along the window, but if the flight isn't too crowded, most couples will probably prefer the aisles in the middle 3 seats. Look at the seat map before departure to see how many empty seats there are.
CIAO LAX and Cometstar like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Surprised I received no responses.
I'm not - the flight has been going mostly empty in Coach for months.

The coach food on the flight is dreadful.
I'd have been shocked if you said the opposite.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm not - the flight has been going mostly empty in Coach for months.
I wonder why UA doesnt cut the price of Economy cabin to attract more pax, EWR-SFO is around $220 RT, I would like to see EWR-HNL at $440
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
We just took EWR-HNL booked with TK miles too.
I chose bulk seat due to I don't like people recline in front of me.
Our flight actually left a lot of empty seats in E+ and I actually slept in the middle 3 seats for a while.
In the back, they do have some snacks to grab but I would not count on it.
Our flight had cater error so they forgot to load main course.
All I can say is that the instant noodles that I brought saved us.
I would suggest that you bring your own food too. Even they cater correctly, you might still feel hungry for the 11 hours flight.
Here is my trip video for this flight
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pigx5
Our flight actually left a lot of empty seats in E+ and I actually slept in the middle 3 seats for a while.
I would suggest that you bring your own food too. Even they cater correctly, you might still feel hungry for the 11 hours flight.
EWR-HNL
Yeah, not sure why they don't at least serve everyone ramen for the snack course. I recall UA used to do that in coach on some transpac flights. It would cost next to nothing and keep pax from starving.
Didn't realize there were any snacks in the back (no reason an Economy+ pax would ever go that far back in the plane).
The flight certainly seemed uncrowded. I was thinking "why are they operating this -- it must be losing them a fortune, especially on a fuel guzzling 767, and they could just connect the passengers at the other hubs." Candidly, given the long flight time and the high cost of a Hawaiian vacation, I'm skeptical that this flight will ever "work." Even I said to my wife, "you know, maybe next time we want a warm destination in winter, we should just go to the Caribbean."
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Yeah, not sure why they don't at least serve everyone ramen for the snack course. I recall UA used to do that in coach on some transpac flights. It would cost next to nothing and keep pax from starving.
Didn't realize there were any snacks in the back (no reason an Economy+ pax would ever go that far back in the plane).
The flight certainly seemed uncrowded. I was thinking "why are they operating this -- it must be losing them a fortune, especially on a fuel guzzling 767, and they could just connect the passengers at the other hubs." Candidly, given the long flight time and the high cost of a Hawaiian vacation, I'm skeptical that this flight will ever "work." Even I said to my wife, "you know, maybe next time we want a warm destination in winter, we should just go to the Caribbean."
Wonder if the hi J version of the 763 would work better for this route. Doesn't the premium cabin fill for this flight?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by pigx5
EWR-HNL
did they have enough hot water for instant noodles? Flying ewr-Ogg but expect similar lack of enough food.
Old May 14, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
flying EWR-HNL in a couple of weeks in F. Would love to hear recent experiences on food and any other in flight thing that maybe good to know. Thanks.
Old May 14, 2023, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by saccoNY
flying EWR-HNL in a couple of weeks in F. Would love to hear recent experiences on food and any other in flight thing that maybe good to know. Thanks.
1st service=bkfst choice of french toast(2 med slices instead of 2 wonder bread nothingness) or something eggy(quiche or egg white bites), both choices come with fruit & yougurt. halfway to hawaii its either the terriyuki burger or asian noodle salad with those little warmed up pies, then snacks & drinks till hnl.

Y gets yougurt, fruit & granola bar for service 1 then snack food for purchase(tapas/recline/takeoff box) for $10. pretty shlumpy offerings on a 10 hr flt but with no competition, shlumpy is good enough i guess.

alohaaaaa
saccoNY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.