Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
General PlusPoints (was GPU) earning & usage questions [Consolidated]

Note: the term journey is used here to denote travel between a pair of cities, with one or more layovers, and all segments of the journey are part of the same ticket, confirmation number, and record locator. A one way ticket has one journey. A round trip has two journeys. A multicity ticket has three or more journeys.

Can I apply a GPU to UA metal that is ticketed on non-UA ticket stock?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19321483-post23.html says you can.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19324013-post25.html says not always.

Can I use a GPU on flights operated by other airlines?
Yes, Copa, LH and NH.

On Copa, the rules are the same as for flights operated by UA. It can't be done online, so you have to call. The regular Premier desk can't do it, though, even though Copa uses MP as its loyalty program--you'll need to call (or be transferred to) the Star Alliance Help Desk to complete the process. (And it's an involved process for the agents--they have to duplicate the Copa PNR in SHARES and issue you a separate UA PNR. Betwen *A Desk hold times--no priority for Premiers--and the hassle it is for the agents, plan on 30-45 minutes to get this done. It may be simpler if you booked your Copa tickets through United.) Note that an RPU works anywhere on Copa that a GPU works, so don't waste GPUs unnecessarily.

On LH, the process is completely different. You can use a GPU on LH operated fights only if printed for a specific flight of a specific reservation. See
Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

I see GPUs for sale on Craigslist or eBay. May I buy them and use them?
We do not recommend this. If UA determines the GPU was sold, you risk having your M+ account terminated and loss of your miles, status, lifetime miles, etc.

If I have upgraded a flight with miles, cash, GPU, RPU, CPU, etc. from Y to J, may I upgrade to F with a GPU?
Policy does not allow this. However, once upgraded to business you may be offered a cash buy-up to F.

If I apply a GPU on a multi segment journey, what happens one or segments clear, and one or more do not?
The exact wording from united.com is:In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.

This has at least three interpretations when the journey consists of segments that have all lie flat seating, and one or more upgrades to BF or GF fails, but one or more upgrades to BF or GF succeeds. The first is that since the wording is not "if any United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded" the GPU is not redeposited. The second is that the GPU is redeposited, even if for example, ORD-NRT was upgraded, and NRT-SIN was not. The third is that if the longest segment was not upgraded to BF or GF, the GPU is redeposited. In practice, UA agents appear to follow the third interpretation.
UPDATE: The wording in the Mileage upgrade section is a bit clearer and probably also reflects the policy for GPUs.What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst® and/or United Global FirstSM, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.

Redeposits don't always happen automatically, and when you call, you might find agents are trained to follow the longest segment interpretation, whereby if the longest segment is upgraded, even if not BF or GF, then the GPU will not be deposited. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21138703-post394.html of push back and eventual capitulation by UA.

Can I add myself to the wait list within 24 hours of departure?
No, all you can do is attempt to apply the GPU periodically until it clears into upgrade inventory if any opens up. The 1K desk cannot put you on the wait list inside 24 hours because SHARES transfers the flight to airport control.

Do the fare class restrictions apply to domestic flights?
No, you can use a GPU on any fare on any domestic/ any CPU eligible flight.

Is there a maximum layover between segments of a journey?
Unclear. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20453548-post221.html is an example of 38 hours, where the 1K desk applied it on behalf of the customer. What is interesting about this case is that 38 hours is well beyond a layover, which implies that in some cases, one GPU can be used for two journeys on the same ticket even if the two journeys are beyond 12 hours apart (12 hours being the pmUA rule – 4 hours for North American / “domestic” only flights).

How is the waitlist prioritized?
United.com details the process in the "Upgrade confirmation priority" section of this page.
For non-CPU flightsIf an upgrade seat becomes available, waitlisted customers are confirmed automatically based on the Premier® status of the redeeming account***, then fare class, then time of request.
For CPU flights, GS and YBM fares will be handled before GPU/Miles/RPU users and finally CPU requests. Within these groups upgrades are prioritized based on Premier® status of the redeeming account***, then fare class.
If not cleared until gate, it is believe the time factor is based on check-in time.

***On 4/15/15 travelers will no longer inherit the status of the redeeming account and will instead be prioritized by the status of the highest premier member on the PNR they are traveling on.

What is the relative waitlist priority of GPU vs Miles
Appears the use of GPU vs Miles has no impact on the waitlist priority.

May I cross two oceans with one GPU?
Yes if the entire journey is on one confirmation number and the max layover rule (above) is met.

Can I avoid upgrade lottery by booking only flights that have upgrade inventory?
Yes, see Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]. Note that you have to wait for the flight to ticket, by which time upgrade inventory can disappear. If so, cancel (within 24 hours of booking, so no penalty) and try again.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
No.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts before the GPU expires, and ends after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
Yes if the initial flight scheduled departure is prior to expiration.

Can I let someone else use my GPU?
Yes. They will be waitlisted prioritized based on your status until 4/15/2015 at which point they will be prioritized based on their own status (or lack thereof).

If I let someone else use my GPU, do I have to be on the same reservation, same journey and/or same flight?
No to all.

What happens if there are multiple pax on the same reservation confirmation number and the reservation is split; will the GPU(s) that is(are) waitlisted on one or more pax stay with the new reservation?
Yes.

Why do Non-Revs get assigned seats in First/Business instead of upgrading paying customers?
UA’s policy is paying customers have priority for upgrades. However, per UA’s employee benefit package, Non-Revs can have access to unassigned seats if there are no waitlisted paying customers. This Non-Rev benefit is part of the negotiated employee compensation.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by inthemix
A friend is going to apply one of his GPUs to my reservation for me. I fly US, so will be accruing with my US account. Just a sanity check that I don't have to have a MP account to apply the GPU?
If it doesn't clear at booking then pay close attention. You need to make that upgrade pending shows on your itinerary or else follow up. My recent experience with my boss trying to apply a GPU did not go smooth. He had to call the 1K desk to confirm it was applied and I still had to sort it out at the airport day of departure.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:29 pm
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
i have 11 swu and 44 gpu's left unused for this year. i find that using them is becoming harder and harder, i normally pay for intl C or F so i usually cant use upgrades. i usually give my upgrades to my wife who upgrades from economy. this year she has had an awful record of getting upgrades despite being 1k and flying on off days. her experience is that it looks wide open until the day of travel and suddenly a bunch of people get into the list and gets prioritized ahead of her. we pay extra for upgradable fares for her and we apply the highest upgrade instrument ua has but it doesnt seem to matter. we are considering changing because for us the loyalty i showed through my spend doesnt seem to yield the benefit we used to have and which justified my spend in the first place.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Current SWU policy when applied to itins with overnight connections??

Say I fly AAA-BBB-CCC with an overnight connection at BBB. I believe previous policy was that so long as the overnight connection was under 12 hours, a single SWU could upgrade both AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC. What is the current policy? Will one SWU upgrade both segments? Or do I just get to apply it to the INTL flight (BBB-CCC)?

I'm not sure it matters, but this would be a single fare from AAA-CCC booked on ual.com that happens to allow overnight connections. (<24)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hobo13
Say I fly AAA-BBB-CCC with an overnight connection at BBB. I believe previous policy was that so long as the overnight connection was under 12 hours, a single SWU could upgrade both AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC. What is the current policy? Will one SWU upgrade both segments? Or do I just get to apply it to the INTL flight (BBB-CCC)?

I'm not sure it matters, but this would be a single fare from AAA-CCC booked on ual.com that happens to allow overnight connections. (<24)
The last time I used a SWU for a trip like yours, I was told that the connection had to be 12 hours, or less, or they would deduct two SWUs for the journey. (LHR-SFO-SYD in May).
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The last time I used a SWU for a trip like yours, I was told that the connection had to be 12 hours, or less, or they would deduct two SWUs for the journey. (LHR-SFO-SYD in May).
Thank you.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by par
i have 11 swu and 44 gpu's left unused for this year. i find that using them is becoming harder and harder, i normally pay for intl C or F so i usually cant use upgrades. i usually give my upgrades to my wife who upgrades from economy. this year she has had an awful record of getting upgrades despite being 1k and flying on off days. her experience is that it looks wide open until the day of travel and suddenly a bunch of people get into the list and gets prioritized ahead of her. we pay extra for upgradable fares for her and we apply the highest upgrade instrument ua has but it doesnt seem to matter. we are considering changing because for us the loyalty i showed through my spend doesnt seem to yield the benefit we used to have and which justified my spend in the first place.
Well, if you are using the GPU out of your account for your wife's upgrade then she is GS for the purposes of the upgrade. Her status doesn't matter. The status of the account holder that the GPU comes out of matters.

And if she has an abysmal rate this year as a "fake GS" (thanks to your GPU's) then I'm really surprised. I've done OK as a 1K, but not great.

-RM
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:03 am

I know there is no reliable answer to that question, but I will ask it nonetheless.

I've been sponsored a GPU from a GS on my FRA-ORD-MEX itin (V-fare). FRA-ORD cleared right away but ORD-MEX (UA474) is showing as waitlisted.

What are the chances with C9 D9 Z9 R0 that this will clear?
And is there anything that I or the sponsor can do to increase my chances?

Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
using gpu in place of rpu

So let's assume someone runs out of rpu's but has a number of
"regional" routes to upgrade where rpu's are sufficient.

When using an gpu instead, do those fare restrictions coming
with them (i.e. only w fares or higher) also apply ?

In other words, can I upgrade a k or l fare with rpu but not with
gpu on a ps flight or one to Hawaii ?

Thanks for all comments.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hamburgoflyer
So let's assume someone runs out of rpu's but has a number of
"regional" routes to upgrade where rpu's are sufficient.

When using an gpu instead, do those fare restrictions coming
with them (i.e. only w fares or higher) also apply ?

In other words, can I upgrade a k or l fare with rpu but not with
gpu on a ps flight or one to Hawaii ?

Thanks for all comments.
On domestic flights there are no fare limitations for using GPUs. I have used GPUs on many domestic flights this past year.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Gold
Use expiring GPS's for flight next year?

I have expiring unused GPU's and want to use them to upgrade a friend going to Hawaii next year. I am assuming that the upgrades will come out of this years expiring inventory, not the new ones that I get for next year.

Does it matter that the upgrades are expired at the time of the flight? Will this cause them to use unexpired ones from the year the flight is actually taken?

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The GPU must be valid at flight time or it won't apply.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
New to 1k - how to use GPUs

Hi.

I'm a newly minted 1K based in Tokyo and am wondering about the best ways to use my GPUs.

I understand that if a flight has 'R' bucket availability, then I should be able to confirm an upgrade at time of booking. Does that mean I should book my normal ticket in the economy cabin (W class or higher) then go back to view my reservation to request the upgrade?

If there is no 'R' availability around 1 month out, how likely are these upgrades to clear? Do I need to keep checking back to see if 'R' space has opened up? Do upgrade instruments take priority over HOD buy ups?

My likely routes are NRT<->SFO and NRT<->SEA. I can fly during the week or weekends - which time is best?

I notice that NRT<->SEA is still using the old config and it does regularly have R space (probably because no one wants to pay for that). Is it worth using (or should that be wasting) a GPU to be in the old config? I've actually received many op-ups on the NRT<->SEA route, but I will next be travelling in Jan or Feb where loads are lighter so Y may not be full.

So my options for travelling NRT<->SEA are:

- go direct on UA old config and apply GPU
- go direct on UA old config in E+ or maybe buyup if less than $500
- go direct on NH 787 in Y
- go via SFO (or LAX?) and hope my GPU clears to get new config

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I don't fly Asia routes but I can take a stab at some of your general questions

Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan
I understand that if a flight has 'R' bucket availability, then I should be able to confirm an upgrade at time of booking. Does that mean I should book my normal ticket in the economy cabin (W class or higher) then go back to view my reservation to request the upgrade?
yep, it's that simple!

Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan
If there is no 'R' availability around 1 month out, how likely are these upgrades to clear? Do I need to keep checking back to see if 'R' space has opened up? Do upgrade instruments take priority over HOD buy ups?
Depends on how many seats have been purchased and how many more UA thinks it can sell. If you know you're going to make the trip buy it and put your request in and you'll be waitlisted. People who chose to purchase an upgrade will trump you though.

Hopefully someone who flies NRT-SEA can help you with what days are best, but generally if you avoid the flights that would arrive Monday morning and leave Thursday evening/Friday should have the least amount of paid business seats.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
njcommodore is correct! But let me also add that arriving Sunday afternoon is also less likely to have seats available in C.

Your good news is that the SEA route to and from NRT will have more available seats than other UA routes (especially my own from IAD ).

Congratulations on making 1k!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
So I have a weird situation... I waitlisted my a GPU for EWR>LHR leaving on 12/21 way back in July. Over the weekend I needed to extend the return flight to a later date, which got a bit complicated as I also needed to move a miles/co-pay upgrade to my new reservation. It took a while, but got done successfully, with me refreshing my account information to watch progress.

As I was refreshing to confirm the changes I noticed that my account had gone from 0 GPUs to 1, just deposited, and that the outbound flight no longer showed me as waitlisted for R. The reservation had the usual message that a change had been made and the option to accept. Of course I didn't, and asked the CSR what was going on. She reported that it all looked fine from her end, so I refreshed again and the flight once more showed me as waitlisted for R.

BUT! I still have 1 GPU in my account, when I should have zero. And I can't help but worry that I have gone from close to first in the waiting list to the bottom. Of course I did not mention the new, extra, GPU to the CSR but did ask about my place on the waiting list. She responded that she can't see that information and that no change had occurred.

I watch availability of R/RN daily, and so far nothing. If that "new" GPU is real, it's great because I can just have the one associated with the flight removed and then apply the "new" one when availability appears. But what if it isn't real? And am I really still on the waiting list? I'd love to be able to say I successfully used all of my instruments this year, but I'm feeling a bit doubful about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.