Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Shocker077
We are both silver so hopefully its not an issue. I would love the upgrade on at least 3 of the 4 legs so that I can show her why it was so important to gain status and take all the random trips (we fly for pleasure).
Good luck. If you get the upgrade, please report back whether LAS-PTY is the new interior. I'm considering that route as an alternative to LAX-PTY.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you split PNR's, the non-elite gf will not be upgrade eligible.

Oh, ty for info!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by RJNYC
MCO-PTY-SJO-PTY-MCO. So does this mean that there are no instant/time of booking Y/B/M fare upgrades on Copa? The website makes it sound like there are ...

http://www.copaair.com/sites/cc/en/m...s-premier.aspx

Upgrades: On eligible flights, Premier members have several courtesy class upgrade options, if seats are available, including automatic, confirmed class upgrades when a ticket purchased in class Y, B and M is issued,
I have never received an instant UG from Copa. That said, I almost always book well ahead of time, so my fares wouldn't be the kind to qualify.

IME, as a 1K on that route (and I have flown it a LOT!), your MCO-PTY-MCO flights are an UG lock as a 1K, while the ones between PTY & SJO are about 60/40 in your favor. Even if you don't get the shorties, though, they are so fast that it doesn't really matter. Just try to choose a seat near the front so that you can get to immigration ahead of the bulk of the crowd. SJO is pretty good about having enough agents to keep the lines moving even if you should end up having to wait, however.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:04 pm

Ken -

We are flying SFO-AUA in January. I'd like to stay on UA / Copa. I will have GPU's to burn for both directions for both my partner and I.

What route would you fly to maximize F percentages, while minimizing travel time?

Thanks,

Lark

PS We may just end up on AA, as the SFO-MIA-AUA routing is so attractive... If so, I'll have to burn the GPU's elsewhere.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Ken -

We are flying SFO-AUA in January. I'd like to stay on UA / Copa. I will have GPU's to burn for both directions for both my partner and I.

What route would you fly to maximize F percentages, while minimizing travel time?

Thanks,

Lark

PS We may just end up on AA, as the SFO-MIA-AUA routing is so attractive... If so, I'll have to burn the GPU's elsewhere.
Out of SFO, the AA routing does sound pretty appealing. If you can fly out of LAX, however, Copa flies a red eye to PTY with just 1:27 at PTY for the connection. Although many say the LAX-PTY UG is the hardest to score, I have never missed it as a 1K, and they fly their nicest F seats there that I love. I don't mind the red eye, as I sleep like a baby and arrive refreshed.

Return flight lands at 10:39 PM unless you are willing to overnight at PTY. I see a rare early morning departure from PTY (not a daily offering) on one of the sample days I checked. That takes the ease of a PTY connection away, however. Spending the night in LA would be easier.

The benefit is that you might save your GPUs and still get the royal treatment. Just remember that some say I have been very lucky. I know what I would do, but YMMV. It would be one long night if you did not get the UG.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Out of SFO, the AA routing does sound pretty appealing. If you can fly out of LAX, however, Copa flies a red eye to PTY with just 1:27 at PTY for the connection. Although many say the LAX-PTY UG is the hardest to score, I have never missed it as a 1K, and they fly their nicest F seats there that I love. I don't mind the red eye, as I sleep like a baby and arrive refreshed.

Return flight lands at 10:39 PM unless you are willing to overnight at PTY. I see a rare early morning departure from PTY (not a daily offering) on one of the sample days I checked. That takes the ease of a PTY connection away, however. Spending the night in LA would be easier.

The benefit is that you might save your GPUs and still get the royal treatment. Just remember that some say I have been very lucky. I know what I would do, but YMMV. It would be one long night if you did not get the UG.
Thank you Ken.

I don't have too many (they would be domestic) uses for the GPU's in the next 4 months, so would probably go ahead and use them on this trip.

That being said...

SFO-EWR-AUA - includes a redeye
SFO-IAH-PTY-AUA - ouch
SFO-LAX-PTY-AUA - Copa - doable on the outbound, long return

The more we look at it, the more we are thinking that AA is the best option. I'll just have to figure out how to upgrade on AA with no status.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:31 am

The more we look at it, the more we are thinking that AA is the best option. I'll just have to figure out how to upgrade on AA with no status.
AA is still offering a free status challenge to UA 1Ks. If you time it correctly, you could be traveling on AA with EXP status.

Of course that means you'll either want to complete the challenge or kiss the option goodbye for a few years. If you are SFO-based as your name implies, then losing the option might not be that big of a deal for you.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:50 am

AA is still offering a free status challenge to UA 1Ks. If you time it correctly, you could be traveling on AA with EXP status.

Of course that means you'll either want to complete the challenge or kiss the option goodbye for a few years. If you are SFO-based as your name implies, then losing the option might not be that big of a deal for you.
I accepted AA's generous EXP match in 2012 (got in right after they stopped including the GPU's).

I'll have to call and see if they will give me another challenge after they gave me the match 2 years ago.

And yes, being SFO based I could not make AA work for my travel patterns. EXP one year, soft landed to Plat, then back to GM in 2014. So, if I were able to sign up for the challenge now, it would likely just be for the benefits on this one trip.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:20 pm

I accepted AA's generous EXP match in 2012 (got in right after they stopped including the GPU's).

I'll have to call and see if they will give me another challenge after they gave me the match 2 years ago.

And yes, being SFO based I could not make AA work for my travel patterns. EXP one year, soft landed to Plat, then back to GM in 2014. So, if I were able to sign up for the challenge now, it would likely just be for the benefits on this one trip.
Hmmm.... Let us know what answer you get, please. Not trying to depress you, but I'm betting your answer on this trip with AA is going to simply be $$$.

Best of luck!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Anyone with experience with Copa Upgrades on the following city pairs: MEX-PTY PTY-SCL SCL-PTY PTY-MEX Im *Gold on UA (most likely Platinum when taking flights late November on the S/B and early December on the N/B) Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Anyone with experience with Copa Upgrades on the following city pairs: MEX-PTY PTY-SCL SCL-PTY PTY-MEX Im *Gold on UA (most likely Platinum when taking flights late November on the S/B and early December on the N/B) Thanks and Safe Travels..
Just a minor correction, one of my pet peeves.

You are UA MP Gold. Or UA Gold.

*G, or *Gold refers to status within the Star Alliance (*A). *S (Star Silver). *G (Star Gold).

As you can see from my past few posts, I can't answer your question, but you are in the correct thread!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:32 am

If you can fly out of LAX, however, Copa flies a red eye to PTY with just 1:27 at PTY for the connection. Although many say the LAX-PTY UG is the hardest to score, I have never missed it as a 1K, and they fly their nicest F seats there that I love. I don't mind the red eye, as I sleep like a baby and arrive refreshed.
I will just say that LAX-PTY / vv has sometimes bedeviled me and co-workers to even buy business class seats. I do think it is related to the specific flights, as some of them connect nicely on to places like deep SA and provide well priced business options out of LA compared to US carriers. Maybe Ken has a good inside track as to which of them provides the better shot.

Side note regarding the instant upgrade fares mentioned upthread... I think every single Copa flight I've ever flown was in YBorM, and I've never received anything resembling an instant upgrade; they do process nicely and reliably at the windows though.

Last note regarding Copa: Use a travel agent with them, always. You can't even get a refund on a refundable fare over the phone with them, they want you to go to a ticket counter in person with your passport and credit card. Dealing with them on the phone for ticket exchanges is excruciating, and several times I've had to walk away from residual value on refundable tickets because of this kind of nonsense. I guess you lose this 25% bonus thing, but not worth it to me. Maybe Ken has some better advice, but my experience has led me to use a TA for Copa tickets.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Just used Copa's upgrade request form for an upcoming trip LAS-PTY leg. Only 7 seats left in business. It says that CPU's will be awarded first, being UA Silver, I should be able to get one but I don't know how honest their policy's are so I went ahead and said I'm willing to pay an extra $130 a person (2 people) for a 6 hour flight.

We'll see what happens. Flight is 4 days out.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Just checking again to see if anyone has experience originating at MEX. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
GEO today: no upgrades left?

Greetings from beautiful Georgetown, Guyana! I'm here on the $296 deal ex-IAD... had a great experience with Kaieteur Falls yesterday and am heading home GEO-PTY-IAD later today.

I tried to do OLCI, but copaair.com says I have to check-in at the airport.

Having flown PTY-GEO Tuesday (it's a 2/week flight) in a 8/12 J cabin with T-48 notification (as Gold), I was a bit surprised not to get an upgrade notice yet for the return.

Am I doing something wrong, or do they not process these until the gate, or are there suddenly lots of MP elites getting out of GEO today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.