Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

15 November - UA Flights Impacted by Unimatic Computer System Outage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 November - UA Flights Impacted by Unimatic Computer System Outage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rudling
Sorry if this is remedial, but what's Unimatic (looks like UA's crew-scheduling system?) and how might it affect flight operations systemwide? Widespread unavailability of expected crew due to scheduling errors or...?

Thanks!
GA in BDL just announced that due to a "Systemwide Unimatic outage, we aren't going to board you all yet".

He then said "all I know about the software is that its older than I am". Pretty funny actually

UPDATE: Back up apparently as they just boarded us

Last edited by limey1K; Nov 15, 2012 at 8:49 am Reason: UPDATE
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
But it's cheaper. ^
That's all you've got? Remember its PM-UA system that isn't functioning not SHARES, the CO systems is sound.

I guess everyone can sit in their prized E+ seat listening to channel 9 reminiscing about the ugly UA tulip that has gone away and all the outrageous e-certs they collected over the years for defective reading lights, not receiving preferred entree choice, defaced Hemisphere magazines, etc.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Interesting. So, you cannot do it at the gate if the controller already tells you what runway you will be using for departure?

I know airport operations can shift all of sudden, which will require re-calculating everything.
I thought it was done at the gate? Operations passes the info down, crew enters it into the computer and sets take-off speed, etc. Then at pushback the proper flap setting is selected and they go.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Love United.com's interpretation on flight status page for the affected flights: "Delayed - Airport conditions preventing departure"

Is this just a limitation on the number of excuses programmed into the site?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I thought it was done at the gate? Operations passes the info down, crew enters it into the computer and sets take-off speed, etc. Then at pushback the proper flap setting is selected and they go.

i believe unimatic calculates all of that. it should be the same funciton and process that sCO does. Load Planner calculates weights based on runways/wind speed, flap settings, actualizes the numbers based on final pax/bags, then uplinks the numbers to the cockpit.

if there is a runway change, cockpit sends a message back to the load planner requesting new numbers for new runway.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I'm supposed to be flying SEA-DEN later this morning and my inbound plane is coming from DEN as UA736.. it currently says "on schedule" but it was supposed to depart DEN over an hour ago. At minimum they ought to be able to post a delay. Poor communication as usual.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by milepig
Is this affecting the regionals, or just mainline. I have regional flight ORD-MSY this afternoon, and getting of the ground on time is sketchy under the best of circumstances!
you will be fine. UAX does not use unimatic for weight & balance.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:52 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Me too, which is why I am a little perplexed at some planes that were already pushed back are sitting on the tarmac [as reported by some posters here].

It is a moot point now that the system is back online, but I am still curious why those planes who already pushed back couldn't proceed to the runway.

ETA: I see CALMSP replied to your post.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
i believe unimatic calculates all of that. it should be the same funciton and process that sCO does. Load Planner calculates weights based on runways/wind speed, flap settings, actualizes the numbers based on final pax/bags, then uplinks the numbers to the cockpit.

if there is a runway change, cockpit sends a message back to the load planner requesting new numbers for new runway.
Exactly, so the reason flights that have already pushed back have to stop is due to the possibility that the runway or some other info has changed.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They just posted this

United
Our system is up. We’re resuming operations for affected flights.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC

I don't think it has to be at the gate. I can't tell you how many times I've heard over CH9 "we need to pull into the block, we're still waiting on our numbers."
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:55 am

Exactly, so the reason flights that have already pushed back have to stop is due to the possibility that the runway or some other info has changed.
no, some pilots push back from the gate prior to getting their takeoff numbers.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I'm supposed to be flying SEA-DEN later this morning and my inbound plane is coming from DEN as UA736.. it currently says "on schedule" but it was supposed to depart DEN over an hour ago. At minimum they ought to be able to post a delay. Poor communication as usual.
The inbound to BDL from ORD was late due to aircraft servicing and the GA was rebooking a long line of people who would now miss their connections after the BDL-IAD outbound. He announced a number of times that the plane was still at ORD and we would be at least 2 hours late leaving BDL due to this. After he and another GA Rebooked a couple of dozen people, a 320 pulls up at our gate about 2hours earlier than he just told everybody that it would be there. He announced that this was indeed the plane that his computer showed as "on the ground in ORD" and that he didn't know why he didn't have the correct info.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CALMSP
yes, back online.
Somebody must have finally removed the jammed punch card.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Not sure what causes this in their system, but it seems to be very prevalent. I normally have seen it where the flight shows that it will depart on time, even though the "time" is during the next minute or two and the plane hasn't even arrived or boarded (so it's obvious we'll be delayed)... then when the time comes they move the departure time in 15 min increments instead to the real time it'll leave...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.